Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '51 Chevy turn signal switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StefanS, Dec 17, 2018.

1. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

IMG_20181217_153856.jpg I have three quick questions for anyone who may know...
    - Do I hook #1 wire to the input or output terminal on the brake light switch?
    - If the #2 wires just splice in with the brake light wires, wouldn't that cause both lights to blink together since the brake lights are run off the same wire?
    - Does anyone know the 12v bulb number for the signal indicator light?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  2. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Hi StefenS, # 1 should go to the load side of the brake switch. The only brake light bulb that will flash is the one that the signal switch is directed to. When I did mine, I had it all wired up and sitting on the floor so I could try it before mounting it to the column. As for the indicator bulb, I would just go the parts house and look for the 12 volt lamp that will fit the socket. It must be a single pin lamp? Let me add another thing to be sure of, You must have good grounds to your sockets or the bulbs might do crazy things. You could be wired correctly but with a bad ground it could act as if it is wired wrong.

3. F&J

F&J

Hook the new wire to the brake terminal that has power only when you hit the brake...so, output
    If a car never had factory signals but had twin brake lights, you need to run 2 new wires to the rear of the car. One wire from the new switch goes to left side brake/signal filament, then the other wire from the new switch goes to right side brake/signal filament.

You are then removing the old brake light wire, or at least disable it at the rear lights, and at the brake light switch.

4. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

If I run two separate wires from the brake light switch to each brake light and then splice in the signal wires, the power from one signal wire won't feed back through the wire, switch and to the other light?

5. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

All the grounds are nice and clean so hopefully all goes well

6. squirrel

squirrel

the switch has six connections. It internally will direct either flasher power or brake light switch power independently to the correct rear light bulb, depending what position the switch is in.

when the turn signal switch is off, brake switch power goes to both sides. When the turn signal switch is to the left, it will only send brake switch power to the right rear light, and send flasher power to the left rear light. Vise versa when the TS swtich is turned to the right.

7. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

So in other words, wire #1 goes to the brake light switch output and wires #2 replace the existing brake light wire and become the new, separate brake light wires?

8. squirrel

squirrel

yes. You should be able to use the original brake light wire, for one side, so you only need to run one new wire to the back of the car.

9. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Sounds good to me. Thanks alot for the help. It's definitely appreciated

10. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Got it all hooked up and it works like a charm. Squirrel, thanks man

squirrel likes this.