Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hello to all and help required to id Chevy 327 intake manifold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Arthur Smith Fitchett, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Hello to all on this forum and seasons greetings to you. I have on many occasions been lead back to the HAMB when researching cars and components of the golden period, but I have now joined up as I need some help in identifying an intake manifold I have for fitting on a Chevy 327. When visiting the US I always try and fit it around a couple of weekends of nostalgic drag races around the South and love to see the early cars competing, as well as the original classes for '50's and '60's sedans, while in the UK I have attended the VHRA event at Pendine Sands.
    However, back to my current problem and apologies if this is not deemed to fit comfortably here, but I throw myself on your mercy and vastly superior knowledge of speed parts, as I a IMG_0931[1].JPG IMG_0930[1].JPG m at a loss! I have attached a couple of pictures and would love to know anything about this multi-component manifold suitable for fitting 4 x twin-choke Weber 48 IDA Carburettors to a Chevy 327. It bears a logo, as you will see in one of the photos, either a "w", or an "m". Otherwise it has no markings, but is a lovely thing. All leads will be rewarded in heaven!

2. patsurf

patsurf

hands down the politest post this month.....let's see how many min's til the winner!

clem, loudbang, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  3. winters foundry snowflake? cool intake, hope someone knows what ya got....

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The W surrounded with the "snowflake" is a Winters Foundry logo, they did all of (I think) the aluminum hi-perf intake manifolds for Chevrolet. Never seen this one that I recall, it may have been for the Corvette GrandSport racing program in the early 60's, pretty valuable if that is what it is.
    That cast-in breather is a bit odd.
    There may be a date cast into it, the other Chevy manifolds have it, it's underneath the tin oil splash shield on the bottom side of the intake.

5. I think the same^^^^^^^^^ Probably pretty rare, and worth some change$

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  6. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome aboard! Didn't McLaren and some other teams use Chevys in some kind of Formula and GT racing series? Not sure what teams used them, but I think I read the winters foundry did some special hiperf parts for GM.

7. slowmotion

slowmotion

Yep Winters Foundry tool mark & what Denny said. Interesting to see if someone can shed some light on this one. Not production, that's for sure.

8. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry, I just googled. ... the McLaren M8 had injected aluminum BBCs with 427 cui or more. ..but still the aluminum parts came from Winters. ..

9. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

i had a manifold like that once,mine was a Moon and took weber carbs.
    I got a lot of money for it too,about 30 years ago.

10. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I have never seen one but that is sure one pretty piece. I bet it's as rare as hens teeth. I've seen the snow flake on chevy alum heads and intakes. I look forward to finding out what this was on.

11. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could be out of something older, maybe a McLaren Chevrolet M10B or so,..they used small Chevs. I could not find a good enough engine pic on the web ...

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

mad mikey likes this.
  13. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

This is interesting!!! I think in this case that snow flake is a translation for $ sign's!... Seriously Kool piece rite-Cheer!

clem and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  14. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Looks like the lower intake for early Rochester FI system except for that stand-off and downdraft Weber adaptors. The OEM upper plenum wouldn't fit with the stand-off though
    [​IMG]

16. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

bchctybob and olscrounger like this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Stumpy types faster than I do.:mad:

mgtstumpy and Deuces like this.
  19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure looks like a 61-62 FI base plate except for the standoff/riser thing. Saw a similar one some years ago with cast adapters that used 2 bbl carbs but had balance tubes between the adapters

Old wolf likes this.
  20. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

21. Try the corvetteforum.com C1- C2 section, there are some racing guys there with a LOT of knowledge.

22. catdad49

catdad49

Jeff, the early can-am cars were my first thought. Did they have any factory support, even backdoor?

23. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From post #20 link...

Chap.JPG

mgtstumpy, Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Deuces

Deuces

I say factory fuel injection lower intake with a set of aftermarket cast adapters....

mad mikey, 34andy, Old wolf and 2 others like this.
  25. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I am with stumpy & Deuces, looks like it was heavily milled, center top, breather looks bolt on not cast with manifold.................................

26. Fordors

Fordors

Looks that way to me too, the adapters don't have the quality of the typical Winters casting. Also, the valley portion has been milled flat in two areas, one for the tall breather and you can see one of the holes drilled in the base of the breather to bolt it down. The other flat has what look to be 1/4-20 holes probably for a throttle bellcrank.

brigrat was quick on the draw!

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What would be handy is if the OP would check back in with more photos, preferrably closeups hint, hint.

Deuces, mad mikey and mgtstumpy like this.
  28. csf64ss

csf64ss

man you guy's are sharp !.......

Deuces likes this.
  29. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

This will enlighten you a bit, Zora Duntov got a bit of a push from the Boss so yeah I'd say there was "back door support" these manifolds were probably modified by Chevy in house based on the value these cars sold for this intake would go for high bucks if it could be authenticated by one of these collectors. http://www.superchevy.com/features/1606-day-corvette-grand-sports-stomped-the-cobras/

catdad49 likes this.
  30. bchctybob

bchctybob

I agree it looks like a Corvette Rochester injection base plate with some adapter castings to fit the Webers. Does the breather standoff look like it was welded on and dressed nicely? or was it cast with the baseplate? More pictures please, that's a mighty cool intake!

Deuces and Old wolf like this.