Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New Paint for the Merc

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by sideswipe, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Here’s a little inspiration for ya

Attached Files:

rodncustomdreams, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Man...I'm not a 'kustom' type of guy but damn....When a car is right, it's just plain right. And that Merc is about as perfect as it gets. It just has the perfect flow...from the chop (with driprails) to the skirts, to the perfect tail light. Great car. Dad's a proud guy right now.

rodncustomdreams and loudbang like this.
  3. farmer12

farmer12

JUST AWESOME!!

4. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Great to see a car that hasn't been on the road in forever finally get a hard push to get it on the road. I hope it will be seen cross country as well! Skip the scallops, it looks great as is!

5. sideswipe

sideswipe

Thanks to all of you for the kind words. Every resource I have is pushing this to the finish line. After paint is all the little crap, weather stripping, glass, blah, blah. The good news is that it is already bought and in position. White walls will be ordered next week. In 1983 my Dad drove his 51 merc to Lead East in Jersey. A 9 year old kid was so taken with that car. He followed it every where and knew the history. That kid is now grown and a killer pinstripper. I want him to stripe the 49. I approached him about it and he said "I would be Honored", but he might not be able to. We have to wait and see. I love the idea of a full circle story. One artist inspiring another then another kid will see this one and blah, blah.... The best word to sum it up is "Renaissance".

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2

loudbang likes this.
  7. sideswipe

sideswipe

Here she is outside with bumpers and grill. Some pinstriping is really going to blend everything together and smooth it out. The primary color will be "Ivory". trunk.jpg nose.jpg

8. John B

John B

Whats the word I'm looking for?
    * Awesome
    * Beautiful
    * Stupendous
    * Phenomenal

I can't pick just one, so I'll say all of the above.

9. sideswipe

sideswipe

I have been going through all the old paper pictures and I realized that I have 5 decades of pictures of this project. That has to be a record of some type. A back burner award? 5 decades.jpg

10. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I want to look through those someday, good memories.

11. sideswipe

sideswipe

The rear bumper is the front bumper from a 54 dodge. It has had about 8 inches from the center removed. It is capped with a 51 Kaiser plate guard. The exhaust did run through the bullets but we had a problem on a test drive. The exhaust melted the lead work on the rear pan below the trunk. A lot of this car was done in lead. He was an older gentlemen by the first name Shelby. Most body men today have mud dust on them, he was always neat and clean. He sat on a stool while smoking a pipe. I remember watching him as a kid. Just one of the craftsmen to touch this car over the years. A lot of his lead work still remains.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  12. desotot

desotot

Love the bumper treatments.

13. sideswipe

sideswipe

The merc is assembled and is ready to go. Interior and pinstriping will follow. In my eyes she looks great and I know that Dad would love it. 1215181432.jpg DSCF4360.JPG

14. cederholm

cederholm

Fantastic shape to that car. ...avatar isn't bad either. ;)

~ Carl

15. Well done! You must feel about 10 feet Tall about now.
    The Wizzard

16. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Beautiful car, a red one just popped up on the main drag here in Ruidoso, NM. It's red with spinner hubcaps, 6 inch tall windows, very nice car.