Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Value of this (supposedly) rare 1940 Cadillac?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FlyinA, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Squablow

Squablow

My guess? $5K-$6K as-is, but $10k-$12K if it had the top frame, that's the most important part. It has some value and definitely someone would love to have it and you and your dad can spend the money on some other projects, everyone wins. I'd probably start out asking around $9K and leave lots of room for negotiating, if you get very little action, drop the price down after a month or two.

2. squirrel

squirrel

no V16 in the Series 62, eh? That was the Series 90.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  3. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say you're getting some good estimates here. My 2-year-old collector car price guide says $3,300 as a grade 6 (parts car) and $9,900 as a grade 5 (restorable). Missing the top definitley detracts, so I'm thinking somewhere in the high middle, just as @squirrel, @Squablow and others have suggested.

Of course, this book isn't going to buy your car. Somebody needs to fork over the money.

And if anyone's curious, the book's valuations essentially double for the Series 90 V-16: (6,480 and 19,440, respectively). This knowedge and two bucks will get you a cup of coffee.

4. PackardV8

PackardV8

Yeah, I know most here hate eBay with reason, but it's the real world. Put it out there a couple of times with good photos and a high reserve and see what interest it generates.
    (And ferchrisakes, get them junk tars outta thar!)

jack vines

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Hell with the purist, give that to a sweed (magic metal shaper) and he'd make it into a nice 2 door, Carson top custom............................................................

FlyinA and Max Gearhead like this.
  6. No top irons is a big problem. I suspect still a 10K car as it sits.

My Cadillac book has no breakouts for production by body style but notes the Series 62 convertibles were introduced at mid-year, so would have a lower production run just on that alone. Only 5903 series 62 models of all body styles were made.

7. I think in this case the more door ragtop Cadillacs have always been worth more than 2 doors. The 62 wasn't the rarest that year but it's still rare and quite possibly desirable. The OP mentions there were 75 made and I was able to verify it. It's also a true CCCA Approved Classic.

F&J likes this.
  8. exterminator

exterminator

I agree with those who say start out at $10,000 and you know were tight wads on this sight! LOL:D

9. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

something for comparison....

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Jim asks the important question. If it needs to be appraised for estate purposes, you'll need a qualified appraiser's report, not just some people's opinions on the HAMB. There can be legal ramifications if you don't do this properly.

If you're just asking because you don't know what to sell it for and you've already ensured you don't need a certified appraisal by all means carry on.

Hnstray likes this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Late to the party on this, I agree though that you need to present it to the interest group where it is most desired. That would be the pre war Cad restoration guys.
    Clean the junk out of it, take decent high quality photos of it an all the supporting parts and post it on a Caddy site. There is the chance that someone out there has one that has the pieces that one is missing but is rotted out in the floors and lower body.

Hnstray likes this.