Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 5w Door assembly. latches or glass first?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marfen, Dec 16, 2018.

1. marfen

marfen
    from sask

This week doors and glass assembly on a' 32 5w. Should I install the glass and regulators first or the door latch assemblies? I'm on a deadline and not much time for head scratching so good HAMBer advice is always appreciated!
    On a real 32.

2. You need to put the latches in first because the rear window channel will be in the way so you won't be able to later.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

F&J likes this.
  3. What he said. Latch mechanism first. If you use repro outer handles, the shafts are too long and will hit the rear channels. Cut them off so they extend through the mechanism 1/4" or so. You can see them looking down through the glass opening and see where to cut.

Couple more tips you may already know, but that I learned the hard way, before you get too far in to it.

Temporarily install the runners and felts and make sure the glass slides up and down by hand. Mine didn't, even though cut from original glass pattern, and stalled the whole project.

When you install the bottom channels and rubber, use the front and rear felts to locate the ends of the channel and rubber. Too far to either edge of the glass and they will hit the felts going up and stop. The rubber needs to be slightly longer than the channel so outer lip will seal off glass opening in door.

Pics are clearer:
    Front...
    20181127_145759.jpg

Rear....
    20181127_145914.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  4. marfen

marfen
    from sask

thanks for the terrific advice folks. Helps out a ton.