Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1941 Ford Pickup Truck Hood Latch Dilemma - Advice?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Dec 15, 2018.

1. the-rodster

the-rodster

My 1941 Ford pickup project was missing the grill bracket/hood latch. I bought a brand new repro one that was advertised on several sights as fitting 40 and 41 pickups.

I assembled the grill with the new bracket, and installed my hood, and ran into a large problem.

My hood (late 41 for 6 cylinder ?) puts the latch a couple of inches forward of the standard 40/41 location. The odds of finding the correct grill brace are probably low, and it's not reproduced as far as I know.

Should I try to find the right brace or just fab up a mount for the latch?

Here's a pic that I found online with the late 41 hood catch (forward) on a standard grill bracket.

40 with a 41 catchjpg.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If that's what stopping you from driving I'd fab a brace and keep an eye out for a replacement. If there's other things to do first do them and hope to find one . Could you cut down the existing brace and move it? Phil

3. That's my pic I took at a show of another truck. I had a post about mine missing the longer rear piece, I only have the the front piece. So you need the front piece not the rear?.

Here's mine (mine is missing the secondary latch):
    latch-1.jpg

I did find this in my 40-41 pickup book:
    40-41 book-1.jpg
    40-41 book-2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  4. tim troutman

tim troutman

I am trying to piece a truck together. went to bolt 40 latch in a 41 hood. flange and holes are different so that's not a bolt in fix. everything always looks like fits together till you try to put the bolts in 1216181658.jpg 1216181706.jpg

stillrunners and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. Ran in to the same hole misalignment on mine. Decided to patch hood flange and re-drill holes. Could these hood latches be 40 Standard car also?

6. the-rodster

the-rodster

I need the front piece, or a whole 6 cylinder grill support to go with my 6 cylinder hood.

I wonder if I could modify the V8 brace to look like the 6 cylinder?

Rich

7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Would you be interested in the hood side piece for a V8? I think I have an extra.

stillrunners likes this.
  8. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Rich, I've seen your work. Make what you need.It should be easy for you.

9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Dang, I learn something new here every day. Never knew there was a difference. Just fab something up Rich and make it work like you usually do.

stillrunners likes this.
  10. Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  11. the-rodster

the-rodster

Nope.

IMG_7650.JPG

stillrunners, Phil P and harpo1313 like this.
  12. chris gallegos

chris gallegos