Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Called Wheel Vintiques to order a set wheel. Nope !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by divco13, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Call them to duplicate the set of wheels on the Divco. They made.

Had the original invoice # Asked for a street wire wheel, as I have.now.

Had no clue, even with the invoice description read to him.
    Sorry we have a new owner since then, can't help you.

Sorry we do not make custom wheels
    Needed 15 x 12 =2" B.S. and 15 x 10= 4 1/2 B.S.
    Damn It

Sorry we do not make custom wheels.
    =============
    Ok... ?......So, who do you Gentlemen recommend ?

IMG-20120313-00294.jpg

Deuces, kidcampbell71, blowby and 2 others like this.
  2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe it would be Wheelsmith.

3. .Rockable thank you for time and info.

Just call Wheel Smith, talked to Chris. He said yes they can make them, even with the 2" Back Space

He mention that Vintiques doesn't even make their own wires any more. Kind of got the impression that they make them for Vintiques.

AHotRod, Hamtown Al, Tim and 2 others like this.
  4. Damn .... Wheel Smith wants $2100.oo That is better then $1200.oo more then I paid for the ones I got now....... Damn Inflation

Guess I'll replacement them with Rally Wheels .

Deuces likes this.

5. deucemac

deucemac

Wheel Vintiques gave me such a hard time, I garage up on them. I called SoCal and asked them. They too got fed up Wheel Vintiques. I called Wheel Smith and they built a pair of wheels just as I needed and reasonable priced as well. When I told them about the runaround from W V, he laughed and said he really loved them because their attitude gave Wheel Smith LOTS of work. I have used them ever since and recommend to anyone that asked. Prices, like everything else have has gone up, but the quality and service have remained as good as it was 11 years ago with my first pair.

AHotRod, Hamtown Al and olscrounger like this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be because those are stock wheels in their catalog that you can order from any vendor that sells their wheels. The original owners made their mark in the world making custom wheels to order at a fairly reasonable price. Now it is just what pops out of the cookie cutter with no special orders.

czuch likes this.
  7. After Mike Stallings sold out to Cory Coker everything went down hill @ WV. His wheels are just as bad as his tires, Wheels wobble and tires are as round as a brick.

roadsterpilot, czuch, a boner and 2 others like this.
  8. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I had good results with Stockton Wheel earlier this year.

nochop and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Have bought 3 sets from Wheelsmith,all in NSRA Louisville, free shipping and never a problem with the product. I highly recommend them.

Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Canuck

Canuck

Bought WV wheels for my coupe thru Summit. Powder Primer coated. Checked run-out and was within acceptable limits in both directions but the powder coat primer was flaking off and you could peel it off with a finger nail. Had to get them sandblasted back down to bare metal. Should have got them in bare metal to start with.

The powder coat guy I deal with here said it was due to poor preperation prior to applying the powder primer.

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  11. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Dayton wheels, maybe?
    Marcus...

12. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Chariot Spring & Wheel in Fontana, Calif.

I've had mine over 210. Years ago I saw he had towers of Stockton Wheels boxes at his facility. Eliminate the middle man. Ask for Raymond.

GuyW, kidcampbell71 and Kan Kustom like this.
  13. sololobo

sololobo

just steel wheels, please not rally wheels, just my opinion

14. A Boner

A Boner

Wasn't there another buyout by an investment company......from the frying pan into the fire!

15. Yep, Now Coker has been sold,

16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I hope I am not straying too O/T here.

I was planning on putting wire wheels and vintage racing rubber on this dirt champ car I'm building. The wheels need to be reliable enough to do some vintage racing. I was just going to load up the car and take it down to Tennessee and let Coker mount up tires and wheels so I can give them have total responsibility for the installation of their product. That way there will be few excuses for improper selection / mounting issues.

Does this sound like a good plan? What other options are there? This is my first wire wheel build.

sr_072.jpg

WB69, 47ragtop, Max Gearhead and 2 others like this.
  17. desotot

desotot

^^^ nice pic^^^

lothiandon1940 likes this.

18. I wouldn't let Coker touch a baby buggy let alone a Bitchen car like that.

AHotRod, GuyW and czuch like this.
  19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Somebody told me Dayton wires for this car would be about $2000 - a piece! That's a little top-heavy for my budget. Other options? How about a source for vintage track tires?

20. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

Several years ago a customer bought four WV steelies for his '65 Ford truck and had them shipped direct from Summit.

Upon arrival, they were powder primed. Typical mil thickness on a well done job is 3-5 with just a partial cure to provide for a good ground and topcoat adhesion ... on these four, the lowest was 28 MILS.

They had to be completely stripped down to bare steel. I haven't taken in anything from Wheel Vintiques since.

There is (was?) a company called Newstalgia who seemed to be getting great reviews on old style wheels. I believe they're in Tennessee somewhere.

Detroit Vintage Wheels also may be an option.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. ........They are in fact located in Chattanooga.

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wheel biz has gotten to the guise of musical chairs! Companies change hands like street drugs. "Who's on First?"
    "Oh yeah, called XX-R and he's gonna hook me right up!"
    Check the powder coat primer, right after the runout tests. (sounds like a military inspection...)

23. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

HELLO Frenchtown flyer : Instead of "Somebody told me that Daytons would cost....", Why not CALL DAYTON DIRECT & get a "REAL QUOTE"?? Sorry, But I really hate depending on someone else's BS "price quotes"(Ya think?), & even if it is "outside my wallet", I at least have a "Real Price" to make a decision about

5window likes this.
  24. rooman

rooman

Guess what guys:
    "CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (May 14, 2002)—Coker Tire Co. announced the operations of its new division, Newstalgia Wheel Co. The new business offers a line of retro wheels designed for late-model cars and trucks."

Roo

AHotRod and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. I suspected that might be the case, being in Chattanooga and all.

26. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

drtrcr, You make a good point. I kinda expected somebody to point this out to me.

Until I read this thread topic I had decided to truck my car down to Coker for the wheel / tire combo fit-up. In my mind it was a done deal. Coker makes wires compatible with the early Ford brake drums I'm using, with the 5 x 5.5 pattern. Now, since reading some of these posts I'm having second thoughts. So up until now the specific price of the Daytons was a moot point. Plus, I still would need to have the wheels shod with vintage racing rubber obtained from somewhere. I may turn to Dayton in the final analysis, but I was hoping to make things easier on myself. And less costly. Before I pull the trigger I'll be in touch with Dayton to see if they can fulfill my needs. And at what cost.

[EDIT: I'll think I'll call Josh Shaw to get his recommendations. I respect his judgement.]

27. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Newstalgia is run by Corky's brother David. Don't think Corky has anything to do with that business.

28. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

Awwwww shit ... Forget I brought it up. :D

I'm gonna go stick my head in the oven now.

RMR&C and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. ....Don't do that....unless you are making some cookies.:D

30. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you go that route make sure it is a gas oven.