Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette Gassers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bigalturk1, Mar 23, 2011.

1. loudbang

loudbang

2. jimdillon

jimdillon

Roo, to add to your comments I copied a note for my file that I read on this forum regarding that picture-that read as follows:

"Speaking of Gene Altizer, here is one from 1968 that many folks do not know about. After running several very successful Anglia A/Gassers, he ran this car for a few short months in 68 before he bought Malcolm Durham's stretched Corvair Funny Car and went funny car circuit racing. Injected Big block Chevy with a B&M Clutchflite in
    B/Gas."

Pretty cool car and I always seem to wonder whatever happened to these cars.

3. loudbang

loudbang

4. 1-fatboy

1-fatboy
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Back in the late 60s and early 70s once was an avid Corvette collector located is Waco Texas that possessed the thirst for speed as well as collecting. He was new to the Central Texas area. He and I met a local Corvette Club meeting and over a few weeks he shared with me his vision and inquired if I might have some suggestions. I had a bit of previous exposure to drag racing and a few connections so asked if he would be willing to trust me in trying to develop his vision. As it turned out he agreed and the team that was assembled in the following mouths turned out to be a fairly successful one. It was decided the team to go active with the NHRA and AHRA in 1971. To tour as many know is taxing and personal staffing was changed so accommodate. Much was leaned when you play with the big boys. We sometimes participated in the modified and occasionally altered but mostly focused of the Gas class. Finally in 1972 we actually held both the A Gas E.T. and B/Gas MPH 1954 Corvette Racer.jpg 1962 Gas Racer.jpg 1968 Corvette Racer testing 1971, Driven by Randy Todd.jpg 1968 Corvette Racer.jpg 1968-7.jpg 1968-13.jpg 1968-15.jpg 1968-25.jpg The Big Red Transporter inside of Dalas Market Hall for Autoroma 1970.jpg 1962 Gas Racer.jpg 1968 Corvette Racer.jpg record for several weeks before the record fell.
    We had several racers of several types and years but the 68 Corvette proved to be a great car.
    Include here are just a few of the racers in the camp.

5. loudbang

loudbang

6. loudbang

loudbang

At Green Valley Raceway Texas

3.JPG

7. loudbang

loudbang

From Bangkok Dean

gas bkk.jpg

Chevy 1 At Green Valley Raceway Texas

gas green valley Chevy 1.JPG

8. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Found these today.

Steel-in-Motion-11-of-60.jpg Steel-in-Motion-33-of-60.jpg Steel-in-Motion-41-of-60.jpg

9. loudbang

loudbang

10. loudbang

loudbang

gas green valley2.JPG

11. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

gas green valley1.JPG

13. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Somewhere in Illinois in 1971.

1961 Illinois 1971.jpg

14. loudbang

loudbang

15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

That shouldn't be too hard to find in a parking lot:)

16. loudbang

loudbang

17. loudbang

loudbang

18. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I would love to find the picture of Dick Moroso's corvette that said "Yankee Cheater" on the top of the rear fenders which was lettered by John Kurtzman years ago.
    I watched John one Saturday morning when he hand lettered the car with gold leaf lettering and he put Performance Automotive on top of the front fenders and the words "Yankee Cheater" on the rear fenders.
    Jimbo

19. loudbang

loudbang

20. loudbang

loudbang

21. jimdillon

jimdillon

LB really liked the Clockwork Orange Corvette. I had my black 62 at the 2017 Detroit Autorama when he had his car there as well. I kept going over and looking at the car and talking to the owner. A great looking car. I had told him the car would look better with the hardtop to distract from the cage and he seemed to agree but told me the hardtop was not done yet. If it was me I would consider going with the look of satin black or maybe the color of the coves. Not a fan of satin necessarily but remember when my buddy did it to his 61 in 1969ish and it looked good. He had it done by a guy that made it look like it was a vinyl top. I thought it would look hokey but when I saw it I have to admit I liked it.

I have some pics of the car I took but for whatever reason it looked like I had the shakes.

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and enloe like this.
  22. loudbang

loudbang

Excited delirium will do that to the hands. LOL :)

loner2, Deuces, enloe and 1 other person like this.
  23. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

This is not my photo but I have it saved in my files. I know he current owner, he is in the process of putting the car back to original condition....

Attached Files:

24. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Well, it's a '53, '54 or '55, do you know what year it is?
    When you say the owner is putting it back to original condition, do you mean stock configuration? Or as it was when raced?

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  25. noboD

noboD

The front fenders are not normal.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  26. jimdillon

jimdillon

USA Joe good to hear. Hope he puts it back to one of the drag racing configurations.

Doug and Dan the car had a newer front clip (or nose)apparently on the first style rear portion. The car is Rat's Nest as you will see on the hardtop. Here are a couple of pics.
    Rats Nest Collins-54.jpg

Rexrode's Rats Nest 53V 330ci.jpg
    I have other pictures of another Rat's Nest version but the front is different so not sure it is the same car.

I have it listed in a couple of different owners and so anything USA Joe could add would be helpful. I actually like the car and it did compete in the arena that did it justice IMO.

27. noboD

noboD

The grille area almost looks like it sticks out too far for a '56-'57. I had to look at other pictures but the front clip is very modified. Turn signals removed and radius changed. And on a '56-7 the grille is almost flush with the headlights. I knew the side view looked strange.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  28. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Jim can you shed some light on why they ran such large tires on the front?

29. jimdillon

jimdillon

Dan the larger tire helped with "rollout". The bigger the diameter the tire gave some racers an advantage. Since the tire diameter is larger it helped by allowing more roll with the front tire before going out of the range with the stage beams. The more roll you got the less chance of a red light and you get a running start so to speak.

I also liked the look maybe because it brings back good memories. I still like to run bigger front tires.

30. loudbang

loudbang