Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 305 V6

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by george.barnes.754, Jun 30, 2018.

1. You don't want that boat anchor. Tell them you want a fully rebuilt 292 or your lawyer will contact them.

2. Don't know if it's true, but I have heard that these engines are popular for use as boat anchors.

3. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one in a 67 small window 3/4 ton pickup from Calif. Stump puller, was the HD option compared to the 327. 327 has higher HP, but no match for the low speed torque this one has. 32 qt cooling system is almost twice that of the 327....know which one I would want in mountains pulling a trailer. Never gets hot, was in Daytona.....at Turkey Run...watching rods overheat in traffic leaving....yeah I have been there...... saw a nice 69 Camaro getting pushed by 2 guys blowing coolant. 305 never got passed 1/2 on temp gauge. Its an odd engine but no doubt HD. I could see this thing in a few rat rods or T buckets if you want to be unique.

4. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also the Stromberg.....out fuel mileages the Holley...don't kid yourself...the Holley 2bbl was no fuel mileage carb.........and your talking to a Holley Guy.... I took the 500 off and put the original Stromberg back on........runs like a sewing machine now, idles better, cruises better....starts better.

5. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

My 62 3/4T with 305-- 6mg. Empty going downhill and a tail wind--6mg. Loaded and pulling loaded trailer uphill into a head wind--6mpg.

Old wolf likes this.
  6. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine is not that bad, 8-10mpg. Gear bound, my best mileage 50-55 mph. Ignition was converted to electronic. It would be nice to have one more gear, overdrive, but OK. I have a 402 chevy from a 70CST truck on the eng run stand, checking on what it takes to swap in. Still would need an OD to keep rear end gearing.

7. Most GMC trucks have rear leaf springs. Makes it easy to swap in a faster geared rearend from a 73 and newer truck, and you can swap the entire front crossmember also and get front disk brakes.

8. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Personally, I loved my 351v6. Stock motor I pulled from a 1965 c20, put it in a '65 k20. Flipped a carb adapter upside down on the stock intake, bolted down a brand new 500cfm Edelbrock and ran 2" full split exhaust with 15" glass packs and pencil tips under the bumper. That's it. Stock ignition, stock radiator, stock everything. No PS, no PB, SM420 with the old Rockwell t-case. I ran 35" BFG mudterrains and it helped the 4.56:1 gears. I averaged 10 to 11mpg, old fucker pulled like Jack the Bear right off idle, and at 75mph (3600 rpm) it would make soccermoms weep in terror. 20 years later it still makes me smile. All the old-time ranchers and mechanics I ran into while building/maintaining had nothing but good things to say about the reliability and bomb-proof nature of the old v6s. I towed constantly with it for work, 6k to 8k two-axle trailers, small tractors and loads of scrap metal. Loaded or empty, 10mpg.

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  9. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 67 needs some love....radio delete V6 Jimmy doing it's thing on Daytona Beach..

Attached Files:

10. oldsman41

oldsman41

I’m sorry but i believe you got screwed and should demand another motor be built. I dont like using a lawyer but in this case you might need to.