Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical lowering a model a

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by knowskool, Dec 9, 2018.

1. I am sure this has been explained a ton of times, however I cannot seem to find the answer written in a way I can understand. I have a stock 1930 A sedan I am adding juice brakes and my desire is to lower the whole car with out major modifications. First I replaced the wheels and tires with 16 wires for a nice rubber rake. Next I removed the top two leaf springs in the rear, to drop the butt some. The front is making me scratch my head some. I am still hoping to run the stock wishbone configuration. I considered using a Durant mono leaf so I could "dial" the front height to where I visually like it. This made me worry the wishbone might hit something if I choose to lower with a spring. So then I consider using a dropped axle thinking it will give me better travel for the wish bone. Which then introduces the thought my steering wont work. I would like to maintain the model a steering. Any suggestions/recommendations or warnings?

2. Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  3. I did my '29 with stock Ford parts, see my build thread below...
    StrayKat 500 2018 (3).jpg

Attached Files:

• 112.JPG
      112.JPG
      File size:
      253.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Tim and cederholm like this.

4. Un split bones, stock steering box, stock spring, 4" dropped A Axle, A tie rod, A drag link, Tie Rod is in the same location in relation to the Bones. Hyd brakes on A spindles. It bolts in and up like stock. Rides and steers like stock. Just takes a little messing around with what you have. Look close at the photos, think about what you see. Go look at what you have there. Feel free to ask anything you want.
    The Wizzard
    4 inch drop 001.jpg 4 inch drop 002.jpg 4 inch drop 003.jpg 7-3-09 001.jpg

bondojunkie, F&J and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Thanks, these pictures will help alot.

6. I love the stance. Your thread really helped me get a game plan. Thank you.

1stGrumpy likes this.
  7. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

I got this one sitting right but it took a bit of trial and error

Attached Files:

knowskool, Pist-n-Broke and kweb1936 like this.
  8. verde742

verde742

why doesn't the tie rod hit the back of front cross member?

9. image.jpeg 16" wire , stock wisebone , rev. Eye main front and back , polished and cleaned the other leaf. Removed two leaf front and back , stock axles with juice brakes . F1 steering box and column

knowskool, alanp561 and dwollam like this.
  10. With 100% stock suspension, what's the lowest you could drop it by just removing a few springs? I have a Touring spring sitting on the side of my house that I might throw onto my Sport Coupe.

knowskool likes this.
  11. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

You won't be able to lower it enough to look good by just removing a few spring leaves,especially if it has the original springs.they are most likely sagged already from age so you will gain little more than the thickness of the leaves you remove.

12. Here is mine. Dropped A axle. stock wishbone. Juice brakes with round back spindles. Reverse eye main leaf. Used the pictured tie rods to get the steering below the wishbone.(still needed to heat the steering wheel arms and lower them.) Rear spring has a reverse eye main and I removed 3 leafs. 5.50x16 and 7.50x16 tires. received_2002871140005772.jpeg Screenshot_20181211-173609_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. 5280A2

5280A2

Very nice stance on your roadster; can you describe the suspension mods and tire sizes used to achieve this look?

14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

the springs are tighter radiused the shorter they are... don't take only short ones... take a top one,
    one 3rd from the bottom and one in the middle, they will lower the frame some, plus 3 times the spring thickness about 3/4"...
    took 5 from a '32 rear under a '30 coupe... 25 plus years ago... rode well.

15. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What/we're are the brakes from. Thanks Phil

16. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Sure, in the rear i used a 39 mercury rear with TT spring hangers mounted to the top of the housings and as far out as i could get them.Main leaf was from a fat Ford,May have been the same 39 Merc, with reversed eyes.I used a variety of leaves,swapping them out until i was happy.Again, i like the knifre-edge leaves from the fat fords.I think i wound up with 5 leaves when i was done.The rear tires are 7:00 x 16 .In the front i used round back spindles with the arms bent UP to get the tie rod over the wishbone.Axle was a 34 type dropped as much as Okie Joe was comfortable with ( i think a total of 3 1/2 drop) and the ends pulled in to keep the tires in the center of the fenders,looking at it from the front.Wishbone was a modefied but unsplit 39 Lincoln Zepher.I used it because the yolk is extra wide and clears the 59a oilpan nicely.Those wishbones are a bit long so i had to space the 32 ford k member back about 7/8 of an inch.The perch area is quite a bit bigger on those Zepher bones so i had to mill the top and re taper the perch pin holes.The tie rod is dropped about 2 inches in the center to clear the crossmember and the crank pully.Front tires are 4:75/5:00 X 16. Wheels are stock 40 ford type all around.Steering is 48 F1 relocated and the column shortened.
    Hope this helps,Bob

5280A2 likes this.
  17. Dropped A axle, reversed spring eyes front and rear, additional leaves removed front and rear, dropped spindle arms, shortened steering arm, F100 steering box, and sixteen inch steering wheel. 5.90 and 8.20x15 bias plies. Still a four banger.
    [​IMG]

18. They are just 46-48 Ford units. Nothing special there. I believe I bought the Bearings and spacer kit from Speedway. I just tried to get you a part number off there web sight but I couldn't seem to get there from here. I am Puter challenged!
    The Wizzard

19. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you. Phil

20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

anthony myrick likes this.
  21. I am glad that it was a help to you...

22. Well I know that, could I drop it an inch or so? Looking to do a few minor mods before dropping cash on a full suspension setup.

23. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Well,the average leaf spring on a Model A passenger car is not much more than 2 inches thick,depending on the body style.To get "an inch or so" you would have to take out most of the long leaves.You could do it but i don't think you would have much suspension left.Especially if they are old original springs.On most a's the shackles are already riding on the front axle due to spring sag .I'm all about building on a budget but,really,it doesn't cost much to lower the thing the right way.The classifieds are always full of good used components at a bargain price

24. I'm not so on a budget, I'm building a cruiser with a modified frame, so I have a bone stock chassis to play around with. Down the road I'll probably buy a drop axle for the stocker

25. Thanks everyone! This has been real informational and helpful. Trying 4 inch dropped axel and reverse eye main spring to start. I will post pics. Here's the before.

Attached Files:

Kopperhead likes this.