Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 26T Coupe Of My Youth Gets A Re-do! (build)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by VA HAMB, Dec 6, 2018.

1. goldmountain

goldmountain

Deck lid looking good. Even the "before" picture looks better than mine. Been procrastinating on working on it for a long time. Just coming up with better excuses to put it off longer.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Usually takes me four beers before I actually can cut anything! LOL! I get the same way, it comes in waves. I find that once I get going I can't stop, and if I stop i can't get going.

Stogy, brEad, LSJUNIPER and 3 others like this.
  3. 1low52

1low52

That's what she said.

Stogy, Jet96, Ron Funkhouser and 5 others like this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

^Had to stop teeheeing first! Good for him, education is very important. Took some welding courses at TCC and the instructor spend a lot of years at the shipyard. Some of the younger students went from school directly to the apprenticeship program there. If I was a little younger, I would definitely check into one of there programs. I'd be surprised if he doesn't create an awesome piece for the T.

Stogy, Ron Funkhouser and loudbang like this.
  5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@VA HAMB
    I have thoroughly enjoyed your thread so far. What did you paint the frame with?

Stogy, VA HAMB and loudbang like this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah it looks like you’d have enough room to sneak the links under the Z. I doubt that rear spring compresses more than 2 inch under even extreme conditions so you really don’t need a crazy amount of clearance

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  7. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

LOL! I'm ashamed to say but it was Majic paint from Tractor Supply. I got a few fish eyes in it that pissed me off but the paint really laid down very nice. (I think I had moisture in the line)

8. Maicobreako

Maicobreako

I'm curious, if the front wishbones (?) are outside the frame, why do the rear ladders need to be inside?

Stogy likes this.
  9. 31Apickup

31Apickup

You can get away with it on the front as an I beam will flex, whereas the rear axle will not.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While the front suspension is not ideal either, it is less critical because a beam axle will twist slightly allowing some independent movement of the front wheels. Since it is a forging, it will take this slight flexing in stride. (I think we have all seen the picture of the Ford beam axle twisted 3 or four times.) The rear axle housing, being heavier and of tubular construct will not twist at all, which is the problem. For this reason, conventional wisdom says not to use parallel front radius rods with a tube axle because it is more rigid than a beam axle. See post #16 in this thread : https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/twisted-beam-axle-safe.786627/

("31Apickup" beat me to it.)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Stogy, Als27T, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  11. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

I am pretty much getting caught up to real time now. I did this about a week ago. The rail below the door was hitting the bottom of the door so i had to cut it out so the door would close. I cut about a 1/2" off it and welded it back. The rail was about 3" too short. I cut it out so long ago I can't remember why. So I cut it in half and filled in the middle with a couple pieces I cut out of small sq. tubing.
    IMG_7505.JPG IMG_7509.JPG IMG_7515.JPG

Stogy, brEad, kidcampbell71 and 5 others like this.
  12. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

One thing that I was quite happy with was the passenger side door. When I got it in 1983 the door handle was shaved but the driver's was not. That always bugged me. (OCD) Well when I stripped the paint off the body I found the original handle holes were filled with abrazing. So I carefully removed the brass and was able to run a tap back through the original handle mount holes and viola! Now I have a door handle! The original latch was missing the square piece to receive the handle shaft so i had to buy a new repop mechanism which works great BTW!! I plan on now replacing the drivers door latch also.
    IMG_7542.JPG

JUNK ROD, Stogy, marshs and 8 others like this.
  13. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

So this is pretty much how I have spent most of my time in garage lately. SANDING! I have done a little body work before but nothing complete like this. The cowl has been a bear to get "right" I always seem to find a tiny little low spot somewhere and I end up chasing it sround for a day or so. I now have the body pretty damned straight. I have just a few very slight low spots in the rear quarters that I can see when i cast a light on it so I'll have to smooth those out and then I'll be ready. Doors Next. Also the top!
    IMG_7541.JPG IMG_7544.JPG IMG_7545.JPG

-Brent-, JUNK ROD, Stogy and 11 others like this.
  14. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The body is turning out great! It's kind of amazing all of the things that can pop up when you really get into something like this! Keep at it. Are you going to painting it yellow again? My original "T" was yellow, which was unusual back in those days, but I really liked it. I'm rebuilding the car with a touring body so I can have a reasonable amount of interior room this time around, and I'm thinking that yellow, while fine for a smaller car (bucket or coupe), might be a bit much on a tub.:rolleyes:

16. alchemy

alchemy

Still have the Peerless radiator shell?

17. goldmountain

goldmountain

This is a great read. Pretty soon I will have to take my car apart and do the dreaded bodywork and am not looking forward to having parts all over the place. Everyone seems to be critical of your rear suspension - and I'm included in that bunch since my radius rods are angled towards the center too. But if you look at the suspension under an old Mopar "K" car, they have a dead axle back there with the control arms running parallel at the sides and I haven't heard of any issues there. Lot of T buckets were built this way. Where are the guys with first hand experience with this setup?

18. alchemy

alchemy

I had an old "T bucket" rearend, actually a beautifully fully chromed 57 Chevy rear, that had this exact same parallel ladder bar arrangement. Right next to one of the brackets was a crack running up the axle housing tube.

Stogy and fiftyv8 like this.
  19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Killed in car accidents caused by failure of the rear suspension?

GuyW and fiftyv8 like this.
  20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Guys, you're being ridiculous. There must be a million hot rods running around with parallel rear radius arms. Nobody is going to argue that it's the best way to set up a rear suspension, but it's been done countless times over the past 70 - 80 years, and the crashes that have killed the owners because of failed rear suspensions haven't made headlines. Go ahead, find all the news articles and post up the links here.

Stogy, craig b blue and loudbang like this.
  21. Great job, it looks great.

22. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my best Foghorn J. Leghorn voice : "That's a joke, son!".

Stogy, eddie1, slayer and 1 other person like this.
  23. Maicobreako

Maicobreako

Thanks for the answer

24. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Yep! Can you tell me something about it?

Stogy likes this.
  25. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Yea this had some cracks also. I do however have a 32 sedan with parallel ladder bars in the rear that was built that way in 1969 and I have no issues with it. Maybe I should look a little closer. This rear spring in this T is so stiff that I seriously doubt that the rear would actually move anyway. LOL! But seriously I'm still looking at how I may change it.

Stogy and brEad like this.
  26. Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 12.37.24 PM.png
    Very inspiring thread. Don't mean to hi-jack you're excellent, but here's a shot of mine on the right next, to Mercury Charlie's T. We're working on them side by side to see who's can take longer. Ha.

Stogy, ffr1222k, eddie1 and 3 others like this.
  27. alchemy

alchemy

Peerless was an aftermarket company that offered a radiator that supposedly had better cooling than Ford's radiator. They came with a shell also. I don't know how long they were in business because I've only seen the shells for Model T Fords.

VA HAMB likes this.
  28. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Awesome. I reallt like Charlie's T. I really want mine flat black like his. I just don't want to be a copy cat but I like the look. I like those those tail lights. They Galaxy?

29. LSJUNIPER

LSJUNIPER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from ct

That's me too. But with out the beer. Four beers for me equals nap time.

30. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

IMG_1697.JPG IMG_1701.JPG IMG_1704.JPG IMG_1885.JPG IMG_1904.JPG IMG_1906.JPG IMG_2492.JPG IMG_2810.JPG

Attached Files:

JUNK ROD, Rathbone, dwollam and 9 others like this.