Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Strange flathead issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olscrounger, Dec 13, 2018.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A local guy here bought a 39 woody project that had a supposedly fresh flathead (37) with a 39 box and fresh brakes etc. He was dumping all the running gear and a friend of mine bought the engine and trans. He took it home and they put it on a engine running stand. They pulled the plugs and put a bit of oil in the cylinders and spun it over by hand-all good and added fresh motor oil. They fired it and it lit right up-no problem and ran good but then made a squealing sound so they shut it off. Checked everything they could and fired it again-ran good for a bit then squealed again-oil pressure was pegged. They shut it off and tried another gauge-near 100lbs! they said. They are 200 miles from here. His friend who is helping him has built numerous flatheads but is baffled by this. I told him stop and pull the pan etc to see what's up-any suggestions? I haven't fooled with a flathead since the early 60's. Oil pump gear? what else? I'm far away. He now is gonna pass on the rearend and the whole front end which is being scrapped as well.

2. Ghector23

Ghector23

Sounds like not enough bearing clearance. As motor runs it heats up and expands. Crank expands into the bearing causing squealing sound. Shutting it down allows it to contract, restoring clearance. Pull crankshaft and check bearings for damage.

Ghector23

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tubman and olscrounger like this.
  3. flatjack

flatjack

It may have been drilled for that 90% oil filtration. Has another hole been drilled and tapped on top of the bellhousing? If so. the cross passage at the rear gets blocked. He would only get oil going to the rear main. May explain the high oil pressure reading.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what happens when you plug up all the oil leaks! They need to breathe!

Texas Webb likes this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

And now they are just throwing the suspension away? Idiotic.

olscrounger likes this.
  6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For the pressure to peg right out , it could be a stuck relief valve in the oil pump. But i dont think that explains the squealing.
    If as Flat Jack says the oil line at the rear are plugged or installed incorrectly it could explain the squealing as the bearings complain.

7. GuyW

GuyW

Maybe pistons too tight in cylinder. Had that same result on an OT flathead Indian mc.

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

will tell them--yep getting rid of front and rearend-both 39 complete with new brakes orig wide lug hubs etc.-I may try to snag them but really don't need them right now

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. BJR

BJR

Buy them and sell them here for a fare profit. Someone here needs them.

10. if you weren't in California, I would have already PMed you to find out where I need to go to get the suspension stuff. But I only do runs like that when they are under 900 miles.... Just cant under stand why people scrap this stuff, when it is still good!

lothiandon1940 and sidevalve8ba like this.
  11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I heard that "squeal" several times in the past. Both times it was caused by oil starvation. Do your buddies a favor and tell them to not to run the engine again until they tear it down and find the problem. If they are really lucky, they may be able to save some of the components. Most likely, They'll find a bunch of "blue metal" when they take it apart.

olscrounger likes this.
  12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

maybe found a home for the other parts-a fellow I know has interest

lothiandon1940 likes this.