Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Senior Moments

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wicarnut, Nov 23, 2016.

1. gatz

gatz

^^^ LOL, at least you find them !

wicarnut likes this.
  2. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Last winter, I needed something from my pole building. I don't normally go out to it in the winter so haven't blown a path there for the past few winters. Instead of running the snowblower to make a path, I figured I'd just walk out there. There was about a foot of snow and we got some freezing rain on top of it. Not quite enough to form a crust I could walk on. I finally get out there and I don't have the key for the door because the keys are in the ignition on the truck I was working on. I go back to my garage, get the keys and go back to the pole building. Of course, by this time I've forgotten what I went out there for and I wasn't about to go back to the garage to figure it out to make yet another trip through the snow. I stayed in the pole building straightening some things around while I thought about what I was doing on my truck to figure out what I needed in the first place which was a piece of metal.

3. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I know an item is on a table or bench but can't find it until I look elsewhere and come back to find it right where I thought it was in the first place. It's right there but I didn't see it the first two times I looked.

4. I was painting some model car parts yesterday and wanted a different color can of paint, so I go downstairs to get a can of Black Gold silver. I get back upstairs... no can find parts. I retrace my steps, go back downstairs, think of anywhere I might put the parts down. Finally go back upstairs and the parts are on top of a can of cat food on the kitchen counter. A 3-minute paint task morphed into a 15-minute tour of my house...

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

So I have this project car in my garage some guy talked me into doing, its pretty intense, so there is a lot of measuring and steel cutting going on.
    In my garage, the tools and work bench with the vice are on one side of the car, and I have a pair of steel saw horses set up to hold the sheet of 18 gauge, my welder and my plasma cutter are set up on the other side of the car. I've been doing this stuff for a lot of years, so I happen to have multiples of things like squares, tape measures, markers, pens and even pencils.
    It seems that every time I need to make a measurement, or mark a piece of steel to cut, the tape measures and the marking stuff are all on the wrong side of the car. I think I'm spending at least an hour or more every day running around this car to collect a marker or tape measure, make a cut, or make a bend. I counted this afternoon, I had 3 tape measures on one side, and 3 markers, 2 pencils and a pen on the other side. I have no idea how this stuff keeps getting on the wrong side of the car......Sometimes you just have to stop and look at the mess in amazement and laugh.

We don't even want to go into how all the cords can get so tangled up.

This is the 3rd week I've been on this project, and I'm beginning to feel a bit guilty charging him by the hour because of all the time I'm spending running around the car. I tried to tell him before I started, so I guess he is OK with this old man doing this job. He says he can't find anyone else that can do this job. I think that translates into he can't find anyone else as stupid as I am. LOL! Gene

Motorwrxs, seb fontana, BigO and 3 others like this.
  6. I can't count how many tape measures and pads/pens I have around my shop... but try to find one when I need it? Impossible. Big steel scales, I hang them on a nail in plain sight, but they grow legs too. No clue where either of my NEW calculators went... I can usually find a working dial caliper pretty quickly since I'm more careful with them. Just threw out a POS HF one that I wasn't able to keep from going metric on me.

wicarnut likes this.
  7. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Can't tell you how many measuring tapes i've cut off with the shear, on account of doing the last measuring check and being so focused on the cut lines.

BigO and wicarnut like this.
  8. upspirate

upspirate

Good thing Harbor Freight tape measures are free items.....have a lot of them all over the house,garage, and boat

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    BigO and wicarnut like this.
  9. juan motime

juan motime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are three things that happen with age; The first one is loss of memory, the other two I can't remember...…

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    2935ford, BigO and wicarnut like this.
  10. LAROKE

LAROKE

Wuz lookin' for my reading glasses just a few minutes ago . . . found them on the end of my nose.

11. We had just finished the brakes in my 32 (They had been hanging up because drums were out of round). loaded the car on a uhaul trailer, took it to the car event....went to back off. wouldn't move....cursed the brakes several times until I remembered I put another tied down strap on the Axle because I didn't like the way the Uhaul wheel straps fit,,,,,

2935ford, wicarnut and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. gatz

gatz

guy just sent me this....

raven, 2935ford, lurker mick and 2 others like this.
  13. That's so funny....

wicarnut likes this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey now, that's my story.
    It's sometimes a bit unnerving that I can sit here and write out a set of instructions to complete a task on a car step by step for someone on something that I last did 35 or more years ago but can't remember where the hell I sat a tool or part down while I am working on something. I very honestly spend more time looking for the tool I was working with than I do doing the job. I have run to the hardware store or the little second hand store in town more than once to get a wrench because I can't find the one I was using.
    My mom is 92 and lives by herself next door and I run down every morning and take in the paper and mail. She often repeats herself two or three times in a short conversation but he has got a bit of her own medicine as she was complaining that the last two mornings mys sister spent an hour and a half this morning repeating word for word what she told mom yesterday on the phone.
    Truthfully I have come to the conclusion that I have had some form of A.D.D. all my life as I always seemed to have trouble staying on task if the task wasn't challenging enough and it has just advanced to Sr A.D.D.

15. I'm 58 and my brother is 61 and he hates to work on cars with me around because I keep putting tools back where they belong.

raven, 2935ford and wicarnut like this.
  16. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

You know, Fred, I appreciate the Christmas cards, and really don't mind the fact you blame EVERY ONE of your brain fades on me, but have to tell you I hope on this year's family photo card, you have the fly zipped on that elf suit you have worn for the past 15 years with it unzipped. "Lake pipes" belong on customs.
    Seriously, Merry Christmas !!!

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

LMFAO! Merry Xmas to you, too.o_O

chryslerfan55 and wicarnut like this.
  18. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

Well ... about 25 years ago, I decided to come up with and practice a dumbass senior moment to save until I could justify it with my age.
    I was putting a brand new carb on the 400 Lincoln in my 56 Merc. My bride keyed the garage intercom to tell me dinner was ready, so I bee-lined into the house. Right after I finished, a friend called to tell me about a 54 Skyliner glasstop he bought earlier that day. At least an hour later, dumbass (me) went back into the garage, and, of course, I wanted to fire my car up and see how it ran.
    Hit the key, it cranked once, and went from 0 rpm to about 8,000 rpm in a nanosecond.
    Why?, you ask? Seems I had forgotten to actually install the new carb on the untake, so hard pipe fuel line was pointing directly at the four big holes in the manifold.
    Shut it down immediately, but it dieseled about 30 seconds, then .... silence.
    I sat behind the wheel until my ass cheeks let go of the seat, put the new carb on, and nervously restarted it.
    Ran fine, quiet, and smooth - only bad things were the piles of carbon under each echo can on the garage floor, and the pile of shit on my persimmon and white upholstery.
    So ... no fair for any of you to steal this idea, it's mine and I'm saving it.
    I'm only 67.

19. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

I read your post five times, Texas, and think you have really hit the nail on the head. Clear, easy to understand, and no flowery words.
    Well said !!!'

wicarnut likes this.
  20. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel everyone's pain! Here's a recent one. The seat recline motor in the wife's off topic car stopped working. After doing some youtube research I found out if you hear the motor run but get no recline it is the nylon gear that has split on the shaft of the motor. They were prone to do that. I also read you could order the gear and replace it, so I did. Pulled the seat, moved 2 other motors out of the way and pulled the recline motor. Sure enough the gear had split and the drive shaft was just spinning. Saw that if you heat the new gear up a bit it will be easier to press onto the shaft of the motor so throw it into a pan of water and light the stove up and go back out in the shop. Fifteen minutes later I remember I had it heating up and ran back into the house to find the gear, now looking like a piece of wadded up gum, stuck to the bottom of the pan! Dooh! I sent an email to the company that sent me the gear and told them what I had done and that I needed another gear. They said you don't need to heat it and then sent me another gear gratis! Good company Speedometer Gears in VA.

21. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I look all over the shop for a part or a seldom used tool that I know I have.....somewhere

After I give up and go buy a new one and I’m putting it away for safe keeping....... you know, somewhere I’ll easily find it the next time, I realize that I’m putting on the shelf next to the old one!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

My mom was very instrumental in our upbringing. She had endured a lot of stuff with two little scrappy, brothers running around in a small trailer. But a few years later, with a couple of rascals causing all kinds of commotion, she told my dad that 2 was the limit. Ha ! (later on, my mom told me that it was my hyperactive brother, not me... She said that I was the strange, quiet one, always observing the surroundings.)

She was a fantastic cook, companion and friend all of these years. One thing I remember is that she hated all things mechanical and especially, hot rods and anything drag racing. She would rather endure an all-day sitting on the beach or rocks, watching my dad fish…(we all know that is slower than molasses racing a turtle). To her, it was the lesser of two evils.

But, I was trying to think of a way to write some little thing about my mom and her distaste for hot rods and drag racing. Somehow, I drew a blank until just yesterday. Every year, on her birthday, I say hello. She has been gone since 1998 at 80 years old. Forget my mom? Lost connections to Long Beach? The remaining extended family is getting old and they are also leaving at an alarming rate.

This year, I forgot until something just popped up. That is not normal, as I can usually remember old stuff like it was yesterday. There weren’t any photos of her and our teenage friends with their hot rods/cruisers. (Or random photos of the surf hunting days, either. She did not like surfing because she thought we would drown AND 8 stitches in my lower lip helped her cause, too.) But, now that I am writing about her, memories are starting to flow again. Brain freeze? Repressing memories? Longing for the good old days? Probably, yes and no, since we are getting older and life is just treating us fine these days, “what me worry?” (about the past)

Jnaki

My mom hated hot rods and drag racing with a passion. Actually, she hated loud noises, period. But, when my brother’s friends brought their cars over and hung out for a while, it was standard procedure for a tray of teriyaki steak, chicken and/or sushi to be served for the teenagers. Those guys always equated coming to my brother’s house, my mom, and a full meal as one thing. She was always proud of my brother’s friends and treated them like her own kids.

When we had the 1940 Willys 671 SBC build and drag racing explosion, the $#1&%$ hit the fan. She kept telling me...she was always right and something did happen. That took a long time to mellow out. But, eventually, she got to a point to see that hot rods and things mechanical with loud noises, would always be a part of our teenage/twenty something lives.

Two years later, the same thing: hate loud noises, tuning the car, mechanical sounds coming from the backyard garage, rumbling exhausts, and the sound of the Impala going back and forth between the narrow house driveway to get in the garage. But, when MY friends came over with their hot rods and cruisers, it was like old home week. Out came the massive amounts of food and drinks. She equated being teenagers and hunger as one thing. That was along with my friends being just as nice to her as she was to them. New brothers and sisters were now, part of our family.

Thanks for the memories, mom. The senior moment has passed and hopefully won’t be back for a while. Memories keep those brain functions going, and those sparks are similar to adding new spark plugs to a motor.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  23. manyolcars

manyolcars

yeah. My son lives about 250 miles away. One day one of his 30 yr old girlfriends calls him in a panic. She has to get gas and realised, no purse,no money,no credit card and shes very far from home. He asks, where are you? She tells him, he says thats where my father lives. I will call him.
    No problem, I rode over, and used my credit card (so I dont have to pay for it, haha)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  24. manyolcars

manyolcars

One day, my buddy and I are standing at my workbench talking while I worked on something. Hes good about paying attention and helping me avoid senior moments but I set something down and couldnt find it. He couldnt find it either and both of us were standing still. It had to be in arms reach but neither of us could find it!

25. 3340

More and more lately, spending more time wandering around trying to remember what I was doing!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

wicarnut likes this.
  26. Slopok

Slopok

I just spent 15 minutes looking for the pencil that was behind my right ear all along!:rolleyes:

chryslerfan55, wicarnut and 2935ford like this.
  27. rudestude

rudestude

Was that after checking behind the left ear first?

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, wicarnut and 2935ford like this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The only dependable thing I've ever bought at HF are my tape measures, all ten of them.
    And they were free!

chryslerfan55, wicarnut and upspirate like this.
  29. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'm 60 and my memory is still as good as ever.
    I'm 60 and my memory is still as good as ever. I think.

30. Slopok

Slopok

No, but after I removed it still felt as if it was still there.

chryslerfan55, wicarnut and rudestude like this.