Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are you ever truly done buying cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Oct 11, 2018.

1. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Could I suggest this Dodge?

Attached Files:

2. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, never seen a 40 Dodge Hearst...hope I don't see one for a long while...

3. I think I'm done

Roothawg likes this.
  4. gene-koning

gene-koning

I quit buying cars! Well, except for that pickup (its not a car, right?) I bought a couple of months ago to replace my wore out truck that is rusting in 1/2. I got it just in time, the old truck had to be towed home a week or so ago, it is dead.

A few years ago I bought a pile of parts that could have been a truck someday, it was cheap... I'm in the process of finishing up that truck that was a pile of parts when I bought it. After I bought the pile of parts, I also bought a parts truck. I just traded the parts truck for body and paint work on my pile of parts truck, but I have to set the cab & box on his frame. Then he wanted me to move the motor & trans.

I think I'm at the point in my life where I will only buy a car or truck to replace something that needs to be replaced.

However, I'm not sure I can resist a pile of cheap parts that might be something someday. My "last project" was my coupe that I built 6 years ago. This parts truck makes the 3rd build since the coupe, so I have a pretty good idea how that is going to work out for me. My son is actively looking at a major project he wants me to "help" him with, we suspect we know how that is going to work also, don't we?

So far, I'm not having any issues determining a pile of parts is not a car or truck. I can say that the building process is taking a lot longer then it did when I built the coupe, but I just retired, I'll have more time, but less money. Gene

5. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i have stopped buying cars but only cause i got nowhere to put another one. i will build cars until i psyically can't anymore. having 22 cars and trucks i won't get bored. i also have several 'glass molds to make cars too, when i get tired of all the cuts from steel. been doing this since i was 15 and am just turning 69 next month so i am still going strong. on second thought, if i was to sell something i would have some room. not going to happen though. it would be like cutting off my right arm.

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  6. mnjeff

mnjeff

It is hot rod lust that gets me. Lust has to be my favorite one of the seven deadlys, next to sloth, of course. I come across a cool project car and it takes over my brain, waking me up at 3am to continue the debate over whether or not to pull the trigger and drag it home. Having just retired, finances dictate that one gets sold if one gets bought, which starts a whole new debate....I guess I will just keep rolling, and embrace the madness. Still beats the piss out of knitting or stamp collecting.

Nostrebor and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  7. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Damn it! Crap! I wish people would stop presenting me with shit I cant pass up...Just bought a 58 chevy short fleet big back window. Now I'm in the super big problem catagory:confused:

UNSHINED 2 and Roothawg like this.
  8. Ian 5

Ian 5

A: No. Its just not possible.

Besides, I need to drive a home built model A before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  9. Don't feel bad guys. My wife always bitches when she see a flat bed wrecker coming up our mountain drive way with another project on the back of it . She always says .I THOUGHT YOU SAID THE LAST ONE WAS GOING TO BE YOUR LAST ONE!!!LOL. Bruce.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  10. My wife gets nervous whenever I hook up the trailer to my Ram 2500! She would have handcuffed me at the last auction to keep me from bidding if she could have! Now that my 9 year old son is getting into cars, I have a co-conspirator!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bruce Fischer and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  11. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I've tried ----- over 30 times. Its just not possible.....

12. Bruce Fischer and lumpy 63 like this.
  13. ARE YOU EVER TRULY DONE BUYING CARS?
    I hope so

14. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I'm done! Reality is I could never afford to build another, and I still have three in the cue. And one that take most of my energy

Pat

Ian 5 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  15. Truckdoctor,that's what I tell my wife. I say it keeps me out of the titie bars. That usaually quites her down. LOL. Bruce.

16. sodas38

sodas38

Its hard to get away from the fun that I have in looking for a project, imaging what I can do to it, and the buying and selling part is fun too, I've met a lot of really neat people doing this.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  17. As a transporter this subject comes up quite often, especially with the older gentlemen I deliver
    to. They will say...This might be the last time we see each other, because I am getting old & this will be my last car. I look at them laugh & say....I plan on hearing from you in the near future! Most of the time
    I am right & I end up bringing them more.

I saw some comments about wives reactions. Let me tell you guys, there have been more than a few
    wives that have given me the "Stink Eye" when I showed up with another car for their husbands! Conversely, many of the ones whos' husband is selling a car & I am picking it up absolutely love me!

Personally I will never stop (at least I hope not) I have 7 & only 2 are done, so I have plenty to keep
    me busy, but as one poster said...People keep offering things I can't refuse.

God Bless & Merry Christmas
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

1959Nomad and Okie Pete like this.
  18. I am only limited in this capacity by money and space. At the moment I have very little of both. If I had more space and more money, look out world!

19. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

I could be done If you guys would quit posting "Hot Rod Candy" in the classifieds! :D

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  20. Isn't that the truth!!

Last month I was working in the shop, had to come in to send a message on FB to a friend about a get together. As I am sending the message, FB classifieds show up on the right side of the screen & there is a slightly OT 66 Catalina conv. Rust-free southern car, running but seller is keeping the engine (it was from his other car) the damn thing was only 30 miles from me & I have a 66 421 sitting in a stand in the shop...I bought it that day & had to wait until the next day to pick it up to give him time to get the engine out.
    I wasn't looking for another! LOL

God Bless & Merry Christmas
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

21. exterminator

exterminator

Buying yes, trading no.

22. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I will be done once I score a 64 Chevelle!! LOL

23. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

24. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Maybe when I die

25. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

Not till the good lord says that's all. Mercuryguy

26. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I have no room for more. Two in the garage, 2 in the driveway, 5 in the street. That's enough. Three of those belong to my kids, which will move out eventually, but there are younger ones behind them. It will likely be at least 10 years before another could be considered. Doesn't stop me from dragging home more parts, though!

Devin

27. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Never.....the rush of finding another one is too great! I love that feeling when you get your new project home and finally get to crawl all over it. Ya know, check in the glove box for old paperwork, under the seat for cool relics, in the trunk for Hoffa....etc...

28. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A couple of years ago, when I was 75, I'd have been right with you guys, but the intervening years and the death of someone very close to me have brought me to the realization that it will be an almost overwhelming task to finish the one major project that I am currently working on. Not only will I never buy another one, but I sold one last fall, and another one will probably go next spring. The maintenance on 5 cars in itself is almost too much, and three of them were done. Plus, I can use the money for the one I'm working on. I have no major health problems, but by the time you get to your late seventies, slowing down is inevitable. Wish me luck on the last one.

29. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

There are far, far worse vices than chronic vintage automobile acquisition syndrome....

30. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

well at 13years old and now 69 don't think its going to happen any time soon my brother would say you are NUTS all the cars you have done and sold I know haha I just try buying some of them back all I get is NO well I have to build one more HAHAHA one more 34 5w. hehehe its a LOVE you can have forever :D :cool: :cool: BE KOOL have ONE more been buying N selling at age 13 to now not going to happen in my life time ENJOY