Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hi from Rochester ny

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Irish Amber, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Irish Amber

Irish Amber

New to this site, been playing around with big block dirt mods since I was 8 years old.
    Played for ten years then went off to college, became a Diesel Mechanic and have been working on big rigs for 36 years. I picked up a 59 Chevy Apache and drove it as a daily driver for years till I put on an addition to the house. Its sat now for ten years and all the old crew is now into hot rods so I picked up 1932 Chevy 2 door sedan. I plan on using my welding skills to incorporate an old race car suspension and a 350 that has been in the corner waiting to breathe life again. The car is straight and rust free which is rare for upstate NY, Full fenders and hood are required as far as the wife is concerned so I'm lucky that this car has both and they are in perfect shape.{ the wife and the car} Looking forward to posting pics as I go so stay tuned. Mike

2. Welcome from another New York H.A.M.B.er Dirt racing runs deep in my family roots Open wheel in the 30's with one of my Great Uncle, a second Great Uncle was chief steward at Fonda speedway in the Late 60's-Early 70's, and my Father built, owned, and crewed on late models in the late 60's to the mid 70's

What are your plans for the suspension Flemke style?
    Bars?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  3. Irish Amber

Irish Amber

Hey sorry I did not reply sooner but I'm new to this computer thing and not good at it. I did not see your post till my brother told me about it. I plan on parallel bars in the front running inside the frame rails and the more traditional modified bars in the rear. I 've seen them tucked inside the rear cross member so they don't show. I like the look of the car floating and no suspension visible at first sight. I talked to a torsion shop in Syracuse at the parts show last month and the cost is manageable . We ran dirt at Canandaguia , Weedsport and Rolling Wheels back in the day.

4. I refuse to set foot on the N.Y.S. fairgrounds after what they did to the track.
    I am currently building a period correct 50's/60's outlaw style car.

Rochester that is Troyer, Danny and Allen Johnson country.

5. Irish Amber

Irish Amber

I feel the same way but the Nationals are there every summer and an indoor midget race is coming this March. I would love to see some pics of your build, the old cars had style and every car was different. I remember Alan Johnson 's 1st race in an old Corvair body car. Had a big B&M motor that made him competitive. That was fun back then to see what showed up and who could out build the next guy not who has a bigger wallet. Troyer cars are still built locally , I live in a great area to supply parts for my build ,just waiting for the holidays to be over .

6. My Great Uncle Don Wyel (In Car) crewed for Sam Car on this A.A.A. Big Car
    upload_2018-12-11_16-52-20.png
    My Dad Willard building his frist car.
    upload_2018-12-11_16-56-14.png

Finished
    upload_2018-12-11_16-58-52.png

Dad built this chassis with a Nova Sub-Frame fabbed S.C.R. crossmember to use Ford lower A-Frames 2"x3" tube. By the time Dad got it finished he and Mom were married a few years and found out they had a baby on the way (me). He sold the car before he ever drove it.
    upload_2018-12-11_17-1-16.png

7. Irish Amber

Irish Amber

It took me some time to get thru your thread, nice work on all the old Mod stuff. That steering box set up from an old sprinter was a great find, I thought about doing that but with full fenders alot of holes have to line up to get it right. Your dads cars look like top notch rides. I miss the old late models that were all steel and looked like the street car. I started working on the mods when the coops were just starting to leave and the day of the gremlin was starting. How is the sedan coming, i am waiting for some paper work on mine before i dive in. Mine was originally from your area, the guy I bought it from picked it up outside of Albany. Not sure where but it was 5 years ago and he did nothing with it. His shop was heated and clean so the car looks like super clean . I could not pass on this one.

8. The chassis he built for the second car. He got it to a roller and sold it. Just before he and my mom got married (1974).

upload_2018-12-16_4-8-5.png

The engine is in a replica car. My dad built it 44 years ago but it was only fired about 8 years ago.

Slow I am working on finishing up the garage. The end of this week to Jan 2 off. I plan to get so work done

9. Irish Amber

Irish Amber

Ya I know the feeling, no heat in my shop yet and working all day in a diesel shop and then coming home to lay on cold concrete not's happening. Santa is bringing a heater so my plan is to work around the holiday too. My brother has my old photo albums , as so as I get them back i'll scan some pics and post them. A lot of opening day shots from Weedsport with cars on open trailers.....the good old days.