Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Shoebox Ranchero Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jakesbackyard, Nov 28, 2018.

?

Hinge covers??

Poll closed Sep 29, 2021.
  1. Left

35 vote(s)
    89.7%
  2. Right

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Nice choice!

On another detail, have you considered fabricating plugs for the stake pockets? Or maybe you'll end up filling them?

loudbang and jakesbackyard like this.
  2. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Damn...that’s nice! Thank you very much.

j-jock, loudbang and low budget like this.
  3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

upload_2018-12-8_20-9-3.png
    Still sketchy but a little lower roof, Yours seems somewhere in between these two.

4. I like it, keep the upper part as is, but recess the plate area maybe by 3/4" below the skin.

loudbang and ffr1222k like this.
  5. The license plate and the surround really changed the tailgate look. That looks nice.

6. 26Troadster

26Troadster

wow great build. my late dad loved his 50 ford.

7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Not disrespect to anyone but Sorry, I dont like that bumper and I dont think I ever saw a section I liked either, also this looks 10 times better than any ute I ever saw. (but who am I?)
    My stock 54 ute has a split bumper(etts) stock in the back. This was to have room to drop the spare tire door.
    The spare is under the bed.

jakesbackyard likes this.
  8. ...do what you want, but I think it needs stock bumpers front & rear,..it'll look factory built...now I wanna build a model of this.

Atwater Mike, brEad and jakesbackyard like this.
  9. 26Troadster

26Troadster

10. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I like what you did with the license plate & light fits the ere.
    Since the hinges are commercial I think they will hold up fine.
    When I first saw them I thought they were the thin flimsy ones and I am sure everyone else thought the same thing.
    What color do you plan on painting it ? Keep up the outstanding workmanship. The picture Low Budget looks right on.

11. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The plate and surround look good but the upper part of the tailgate to me still looks too tall. IMHO the surround should be raised up until the top of it is inline with the tops of the tail lights if you drew a straight line across the tops between them. I think its coming out great though!

loudbang likes this.
  12. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Those people should build there own and see how it turns out.
    Jack Simmons in Dallas built some rancheros in the late 50's if I remember correctly they built 3.

13. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

It will have stock bumpers without guards. I’m sure woody bumpers are tough to find anyway.

Thanks. Right now I’m leaning to a solid grey like the pic, but that’s a long way off.

Thanks. I had the surround up even with tail lights, but didn’t care for it. Right now it’s only held in place by butyl strip caulking. I’ll wait till the hinge covers are done and figure out the placement.

Right now I’m still working on the tailgate reinforcing, inner construction, gaps and figuring out a latching system. I wish I could find a really small claw latch that would fit inside 2-1/2” exhaust tubing. Been searching with no luck. I have a couple other ideas, but a bear claw would be nice.

Jigger, brEad, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  14. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

They all mean well. I enjoy getting the feedback. I let the ideas that don’t suit me slide right off and actually think seriously about some. It’s all fun.

Know where any pics of those rancheros can be found?

Outback, brEad, Pinstriper40 and 6 others like this.
  15. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And we don't take it personal if he tells us to mind our own business!:D

Outback, brEad, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  16. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I been trying to find the pictures but no luck. They were built in the late 50's by Jack Simmon and his two sons Tony and Fred they had a sister but can't remember her name. Their shop was on the corner of Ft. Worth Ave and Commerce Ave on Commerce Ave. Later they moved out on Buckley south of Illinois Ave and them they moved south on Hwy. 67 and opened a truck repair shop. Tony lived out by Lake Whitney and did I-Car training, but I have lost contact with him if he is still alive he would be in his 80's but I will keep looking.

17. Jake, Right now I’m still working on the tailgate reinforcing, inner construction, gaps and figuring out a latching system. I wish I could find a really small claw latch that would fit inside 2-1/2” exhaust tubing. Been searching with no luck. I have a couple other ideas, but a bear claw would be nice.

I would call these people to see if they have a bear claw that meets your size requirement.
    https://www.rockyhinge.com/bear-claw-latches-and-installation-kits-1.html

Phil

18. Late '60s through mid '90s Ford PU tailgate latches will fit easily....

loudbang, pprather and jakesbackyard like this.
  19. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Not much new to look at. Tacked and fit the tailgate, filled a bunch of holes and patches, and added gussets from the B pillars to the body mounts with 1” thick wall tubing. Spring pin latches should show up Monday for the tailgate.

8AA70866-E080-4A3E-8432-5348CA544415.jpeg E994E609-F06E-406B-A651-9AD8CA3AD2CE.jpeg 6A6ABD8F-4E4F-4778-ABD9-6362541591DF.jpeg

20. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

That answers that question! tapatalk_1544832910064.jpeg

catdad49, GordonC, brEad and 6 others like this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great build, glad I found it, really like the roofline. Bob

22. 'Mo

'Mo

Fifties Cover Car.

[​IMG]

23. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Very nice, I think it is turning out great. Larry

24. Coming along nicely. Have you considered the hinge covers along with just a rear rolled pan? It would be a real clean look, but give no protection.

loudbang likes this.
  25. greaser

greaser

I like your ideas, and admire your skills. I know the magnitude of this project, and appreciate how you're bringing it all together. The hinges on the rear gate don't bother me a bit. (All in part the character of this car). Please carry on.
    This little ford will be a real head turner when it's out stretching it's legs!

26. Self-serving plug here, the micro latches I sell are 2.5 inches tall, but you could trim the top and bottom edges slightly and they would fit inside the 2.5 tubing. Need a little modification to the release lever, but that's easy. See the dimensions here on this link, scroll down to the micro latches:
    http://www.hotrodlatches.com/Articles.asp?ID=252

I like the flat bed rails, that is where so many of the conversions seem to fall away (pun intended). Using the Ranger bed donor pieces works good. Also impressed on how well the truck cab back integrated into the build. Overall the proportions are great. The hinge covers and the license surround both clean up the tailgate nicely. You're doing a great job, keep up sharing the progress pictures.

Tman, Hnstray, brEad and 3 others like this.
  27. raymay

raymay

Jake, I am really liking what I see you doing to your Shoebox. Always thought the Australian Utes were cool but I was never really fond of some of their roofline and rear window designs. Yours looks much better. When I was doing research for my own conversion build using a 56 Chevy 210 2dr Wagon, I found several Tri-5 conversion examples where the rear window designs did not flow well with the overall design of the car. I started by doing drawings and actually making a small model of my design. The end result which also included input from several friends gave me the flow and close to factory built look I was going for. My built thread is posted here on the HAMB. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...nds-1956-elcamino.399170/page-4#post-11614790
    A great resource thread here you could try is the Photoshop to end all photoshops. These guys are very talented in showing you ideas you might like to see. I have used them for ideas I had and it was helpful in pointing me in the right direction.
    Keep up the great work. It is fun seeing the imagination and creativity here on the HAMB.

9.JPG P8142091.JPG

Jigger, MO_JUNK, bymanr and 18 others like this.
  28. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"raymay" - That looks terrific!

loudbang and raymay like this.
  29. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Thank you Ray. I have enjoyed your build and photos of your ElCamino for many years. I’m post #28 on your build thread! I love it. You may have noticed earlier in this thread pics of the one my brother built in the 60s. My dad had converted a 46 Ford panel in the 50s. I come by it naturally I guess.

I was looking for a project and the 49 Tudor came along too good to pass up. I had been thinking about a shoebox conversion for a while. I never did any photoshopping, drawing or any of that. I liked the “Capri” and a maroon one from OK, but didn’t want to section it. With a little research I believed both of those may have used a 53-56 F1 rear cab section, but for some reason chopped the already small rear window. Some measuring told me it should work, but leave the window alone. Chop the car to match the rear cab. The Ranger bed rails came about because I didn’t like the slope down of the shoebox quarters. All figured out looking at many pickups on the net. Something built into yours being a wagon.

My whole build has been based on a vision, lots of thought and planning, and then just giving it hell with my eyes and hands. The vision and planning in my head started in May and the actual conversion in Oct. I’m too deep into it now for much photoshopping, but I may check out that thread to see if someone will put a pic of mine into final finish.

Thanks for the encouragement. Like I’ve said before “I’m just an old body man/upholsterer having fun in retirement.

Jigger, Outback, Hnstray and 6 others like this.
  30. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Stainless spring pin latches came, made mounts, cut tube, tacked in place, and work good. $16.50 delivered from Amazon!

0919AF25-0C8B-4CE5-BA47-019D433FDC0A.jpeg 7E700ECD-81BA-455B-BB66-EDBB160125AA.jpeg DC9C0A16-FAA3-4A85-8BC9-A2678C291BE5.jpeg

Attached Files:

Jigger, Randall, j-jock and 10 others like this.