Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A door handle removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bluedot, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

You got er on the run man..

yep probably getting some heat on the fitted piece on the square shaft that does the latch function is probably your best bet in getting any penitrant in there or rust broken loose

2. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

It looks like you got a lot of patience and a good sense of humor.Thats a great mix!:D

3. Bluedot

Bluedot

Without a sense of humor, I'd have gone over the edge a long time ago. I find some humor in almost everything...which sometimes tends to piss people off. But I also find humor can break a lot of ice.
    And patience? Well the Good Lord is trying to teach me that, but I am a slow learner.
    I'm working that passenger door handle so hard that the hinges may let go before the handle does.

4. Bluedot

Bluedot

Jan 27 and the passenger door handle still ain't budgin'. Mebbe my Feb prediction was right. Must be half a can of PB Blaster on/in the stuck parts.

5. Just cut it off and remove it in pieces. I have a working condition passenger door handle from a 30 Tudor if you want it. No key but you can change the lock cylinder out easily enough.

Send me a PM with your address and it's yours.

6. Bluedot

Bluedot

Probe, I appreciate the offer, but (a) not sure how I'd do that, since the frozen parts are inside the door and inaccessible with any cutting tools, and (b) at least the handle gives me something to work with/yank on. I know it'll come out eventually - I just need to vent here once in a while to share my frustrations.

7. Bluedot

Bluedot

I was too optimistic in my forecast of mid-Feb for the 2nd handle. Here it is Feb 15th, and the &*$#@& thing is still stuck. Heat, PB Blaster, wd-40, and several good workouts trying to remove it. The old coupe won't have any of that - her handle, and she ain't lettin' go of it.
    They say doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. I think I'm on the edge....:eek:

8. Bluedot

Bluedot

The battle between Bluedot and the Door Handle had gone into overtime (3 months!), but today Bluedot won. I decided it's coming out no matter what I gotta do, no matter what gets destroyed, Enough already. Gave it the usual daily pull/twist/yank/PB Blaster to no avail. Managed to get a hacksaw blade to where I could saw off the little square tab at the inner end of the shaft, just in case that was hanging up somehow even with the handle turned. Nothing. OK, out come the weapons of mass destruction. I got a drillmotor and ever increasing bit sizes, drilled in through the lock. Lemme tell ya, the handle didn't like that much, but finally, after all the way through with a 1/4" bit, it started to give up, and finally came out. Latch destroyed in the process, and I really don't care. That *^&%$ handle has wasted alotta my time. It's a wonder the door is still on the hinges with all the yanking I did.
    Thanks for the tips and encouragement. I expect most of you would have had it out in less than 30 minutes.
    Now I'm makin' a list of all the little door hardware pieces I need from Mac's.

9. I too ran into the same problem until I seen that the square head and hole needed to line up. I tried the punch and hammer option, no luck. I ended up using a standard screw driver, prying so ever gently between the door skin and the bezel of the handle a little at a time on both sides and it popped out. You need to leave the locking hardware screwed in place until the handle is removed.

10. Speed~On

Speed~On

This thread is funny...and it brings back memories! Now I remember, yes...them square shafts/holes and 1/4 turn. I had to pull like a mother F'er to get mine out, too. I felt so stupid at first....like...why isnt this damn handle coming off??? LOL!!
    Speed~On 2
    31 Coupe 0

11. Great read and info. After 50 odd years of not having a Model A, I'd forgotten how to remove the door handles. I just bought locking handles for both sides, (the previous owner lost the door keys). Now I can go out to the garage and cuss at them for a while. Rumble seat handle will be another story.

12. mike bowling

mike bowling

Don't feel like the lone ranger on this one; I've seen more Model A doors that are destroyed around the handle/latch area from people who got frustrated and got out "a bigger hammer". They are a pain in the neck sometimes for sure! Good luck with your car.

13. Ha Ha went through that last year with my A. Week or so it took.
    -Pat

14. Kajewski

Kajewski

Hahah so glad I found this! I had the hammer out too! 1/4 turn and popped out!

15. ManChu

ManChu

I had to rebuild mine a year or so ago. Remove the two outer handle screws. On the door plate (jamb side) where the latch flap comes through there is a small cutout. After you fully rotate the handle, push the spring loaded mechanism with a small blade screwdriver. If memory serves correctly rotate the handle back about 1/8 turn and pull. I think the square shaft is offset at the end one way or the other. Unloading the spring pressure will allow you to wiggle the handle to where it will just slide out. No fuss. You can get a better look by loosening the jamb plate. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Aussie 48

Aussie 48

just replaced my handles following these posts,thanks everyone, wasn't easy but job done

17. Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider
    from Australia

DSCN9951.JPG DSCN9944.JPG DSCN9948.JPG This is probably what happened to these doors.
    Should have had the Hamb then, and would be still good doors.

18. Kiwidave

Kiwidave

My lock has failed and with me trying to get handle out it has locked its self and cant can't be unlocked as key turns freely so I can't turn handle so anyone have any ideas please

19. 4decue

4decue

The handle on mine was a B#!*# to get out . after Months of trying to get it out pen fluid, heat, BFH, etc. I finally took out the 2 screws pulled handle out a bit and cut the handle off from the outside, and then removed the mechanism from the inside of the door gently with some prybars. I had to cut the shaft a second time close to the pawl/cam (on bench) because the shaft was crimped (wasn't visible under the 89 yrs of corrosion) the shaft wouldn't come out until that crimp was cut or ground off . after shaft was cut 2nd time, the shaft then slid thru the pawl/cam with a punch and a small hammer .I cleaned it all up straightened anything that looked bent, anti seized all moving parts, and test fit the new handle. It slipped right in there no problems getting it out was fairly easy to. I assume that crimp on the shaft holding that cam/pawl is what was stopping the handle from releasing. the new handle shaft does not have this crimp on it and the handle goes in and out of it as it should with a slight twist and pull, and as everyone has described. But that factory handle wasn't coming off until that crimp was removed. the crimp wont let the pawl/cam slide off the shaft . the mechanism on mine fit back in the door perfect and it all works like new. so if you are killing yourself trying to get the handle off cut it off yank the guts and do it on the bench where u can see what's stopping it from coming apart. Ford may have put these crimps on the shaft as a theft deterrent to stop thieves from popping the door handle (that's what was told to me) or perhaps the Canadian model A had different shafts on the door handles ? maybe someone did this with vise grips trying to get it apart at some point? although the crimp look machine made, not sure but in any case if mine ever needs to come apart again it should be easier now . hope this helps if someone is struggling with the removal of these handles .cheers

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  20. Ray Callahan

Ray Callahan

Thanks for asking your question. I'm removing them to repair the door. The suggestions worked.
    I just found this site and I'm sure I will be back here a lot.

Just Gary likes this.