Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stromberg 97 tilted question.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by edwardlloyd, Dec 10, 2018.

1. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I've fitted an 8BA into my speedster. The 8BA manifold is designed for a tilted engine. As it sits, my Stromberg is tilted forward 5.5 degrees.
    My question is: is this going to effect the operation of the carb? 20181210_093905.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G935F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. oldolds

oldolds

Not a problem. Your carb will just think it is going down hill a lot!

Black Fifty and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

Stromberg floats are hinged at the side. I wouldn't think that tilt should matter.

4. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Marine manifold ?

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Normal manifold. Early Ford v-8's sat level in chassis, late models and also Model A's had significant rake.
    I never hears of any negative symptoms from using the late raked manifold even on cars with dropped fronts adding to the slope. It the look is bothersome go to a PCV system for (better) ventilation and some simple parts swapping to get early carb and pump in there.

6. joe1932

joe1932
    from NY

Ed, There are carb shims for 97's available. Try Ebay or vintage speed in Florida. Joe

7. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

That Sounds promising. Thanks.

8. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

The most common cause for this kind of forward engine tilt is when a "F1" type crossmember is used in a Model A frame. It's like a cult where those that have done it suck in others with how easy it is. Usually the body is off of the frame and no notice is taken of how high the ass end of the engine/trans can be. Now the engine is riding high in the saddle and fitting the firewall is become more difficult than it needs to be. To correct the nosediving engine the front is jacked up to match the stinkbug rear mount, bringing many engine choices deeper into the firewall. Cool Buddy that talked you into the lofty crossmember now just blames the engine or some other lame excuse. Clearance for the driveshaft is the next misfit. The Model A crossmember now needs to be carved out to clear this towering drive train, weakening a useful element. . A Model A didn't have that clearance problem because the frame was engineered to support the torque of the power on a lower axis. Does the so called F1 member work? Try it!, Fred A

9. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I've used a 1932 K-member. The engine is only as high as it needs to be to put a very slight incline on the torque tube. So that the axle oil drains back.
    The engine itself is then absolutely level, like it is in all early cars.
    The reason for the carb tilt, is that's it's an 8BA, an engine designed to sit nose up over the front crossmember.
    I place my engines much lower than most builders do.

10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 8BA style engines are tilted to allow a lower drive shaft tunnel because of the new Hotchkiss open drive lines and hypoid third members.
    The '49-up engines actually sit behind the front cross members, not over them, just like the early V8s.
    One solution is to use an early intake on your 8BA to level the carb(s), as I have done on my '32. :)

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Early intake with a PCV or other tinkering to keep the fumes moving out, or correct the tilt. I think the easy way with this engine with iron manifold would be to simply anchor the studs (if they are even moveable after 70 years) with Loctite, stuff, saw them off, and mill the area flush. Drill and tap vertical...should not be hard to achieve sufficient accuracy! Or the probable best way: ignore the whole situation. This sawap has been done forever, and is now even more common as the supply of 59's runs low, and I have never heard of anyone noticing a problem. It just looks like your carburetor is in a hurry.

Moriarity likes this.
  12. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Navarro tripple intake I'm using on my '32 is unique in that it has early style level carb bases along with later 8BA provisions for road draft and oil fill, allowing stock 8BA plumbing if desired, or hiding a pcv under the intake like I did.
    Crankcase ventilation is something that does need attention when using early/late intakes on late/early engines.

13. 42merc

42merc

My solution for fixing the carb tilt on an 8BA is to mill the carb surface parallel to the bottom side of the intake.
    About a 20 minute job including setup.
    The carb studs or bolts don't care if they are a little crooked.