Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Start of "Say Why And"???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UNSHINED 2, Dec 9, 2018.

1. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I know it has been talked about but I cant find it in the search and don't have any catalogs....

I'm trying to get a time period down for an early 322 Nailhead build. I have just acquired a "Say Why And" 2x4 and my plan is for it to go in a 23-25 T-Roadster.
    I'd like to make this a late 50's build, but I dont know if this 2x4 was introduced in the late 50's.

Anyone have a definative time the Say Why And stuff started?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Your question made me a bit curious, so I looked it up.
    Weiand as a company started in 1937..Weiand dual 4 barrel, and tri-power intakes were produced starting in 1949.

UNSHINED 2 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. ...And still today, we hear WEE-and.:eek:

UNSHINED 2 and chevy57dude like this.
  4. No help, but I remember showing an intake like that to a dude who was pronouncing it wrong. He insisted he was still right. "Wee and''.
    I wanted to hit him with it!

UNSHINED 2 and The37Kid like this.

5. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Thanks for the responses!

What I'm looking for is when did this logo start?

I like this one best, that way I dont have answer the wee-and questions....:D:D:D s-l400 (4).jpg

Early Ironman and MMM1693 like this.
  6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Been a couple of threads about it. Here, here, and here, for example. Opinions vary on when the phrase made it into castings. Brian Bass mentioned his 1960 catalog makes no mention of the phrase at all, but this little magazine ad from 1959 (possibly '58?) shows it was in use by then.

scan0052.jpg

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  7. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Wee-and........... don't they make the same sort of stuff as Elder-brock? No wonder John Siroonian decided to call his company Western Wheel.

8. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I read that Mr. Weiand had taken his first flathead intake to a local casting company , the same shop Vic Edelbrock took his stuff to. Vic thought the Weiand intake looked too similar to his and smashed it with a hammer.

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

february 56 ad does not say it, december 56 ad does.

but that's the ad, not the parts.

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  10. 1963 - 1970. I'm at work so I can't say 100% but that's what my memory tells me (Not saying my memory is still good either). If I find different when I get home I'll edit it but 1963 was the first year---------
    edit: so I just looked and found only the block letter logo in my '61-'62 catalog but the "say why and logo" was shown on the manifold and valve cover photos in the 1963 catalog. Hope this helps.
    As stated earlier this does not give an exact date for when the foundry started adding it just when they started showing it in the ads and catalogs. I don't have catalogs from 1971-1974 so I don't know the last year they used it for sure.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    UNSHINED 2 likes this.