Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods School me on Buick Nailheads please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Interesting information. Thanks.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

BTW, after revising the timing based on number one being on passenger side; my 425 Buick started right up! I couldn’t believe it was suddenly and easily running.
    Boy was I happy!
    Now back to looking for the needed drivers side exhaust manifold.
    Thanks for the continued help and interest.
    Happy Al

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Good to hear, Al.............That's a happy moment for sure.

Hamtown Al and lothianwilly71 like this.
  4. Truckedup

Truckedup

Interesting, what other engines used the same combustion chamber design?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. Truckedup

Truckedup

Probably none... LOL

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For everyone drooling over the prospect of a nailhead I have 2 364s. One still has a Dynaflow hanging on it, one is a high compression version, the other a low. I have either 2 or 3 exhaust manifolds, several general accys like some brackets and water pumps, I think a starter or 2 as well. Since the 364 is a step child for intakes I was thinking the 6X2 log style manifold with the rubber hose balance tubes. I have seen the occasional 4bbl show up for those but if you're going for it why not go all the way, right? One of them has the preferred heads for 364s as well as 401s. Not to hijack Dons gig but the fact is I have to be realistic about time and projects and perhaps they'll work for someone. Send me a PM and we can talk about it. They're not stuck so it's a start.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. "NOTE: Number one is on passenger side!:eek: This is a key point all should remember.;)
    Don't ask me why I say that!"
    Hey Al....Pontiac V/8s are even weirder. The first rod on the crank is on the passenger side of the engine so it should be #1, right? Nope, the first cylinder on the driver's side is #1 even though it's actually the 2nd one on the crank.

8. hlhpa

hlhpa

This is a picture of my vintage 'Thrift Auto" Dragster, when I had the1955 322" Buick. stock rods and pistons, stock valves, solid lifter cam and adjustable rocker, Stock distributor used to trigger MSD, and six 97carbs, hooked up to `1940 Ford trans, ran 7.7 @ 98 MPH in the 1/8 mile, It was still pull hard at 6,000 rpm.
    Great engine

Attached Files:

1pickup, Jet96, nailed31 and 3 others like this.
  9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The engine is out of the Gran Sport and in my home shop for sprucing up.
    I did some research and thought I'd share the info in our "school."
    The switch pitch transmissions that bolted to nailhead Buicks were only produced in 1965 and 1966 if I read that right. I also saw that other turbo 400s could be converted to switch pitch but you'll have to find that thread to pursue it because it is way past my skill level.
    The info I found has to do with how to wire the two electrical inputs on the transmission. It originally uses a T type plug where the top contact is horizontal and the lower contact is vertical. The horizontal contact controls the switch pitch converter by jumping the stall speed from 1,8oo rpm up to 2,600-2,800 rpm. The vertical contact is passing gear.
    Hope this saves a fellow rodder from having to dig around in old ref books to get a picture... I got wiring diagrams on-line but not a picture of the plug and what was which. I'm sure it is on-line somewhere but I still like turning pages sometimes.:)

10. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Dang! Nobody adding nothin'?
    IMG_4018.JPG I found my manifold in CA!! Be here next year!:eek::D
    As you can tell, the sprucing up of the Gran Sport engine is coming along and the valve covers have really perked up!:)
    That's an Allen Grove bracket holding the alternator. He has a number of options... add that to your school notes.;)

VANDENPLAS, lothiandon1940 and belair like this.
  11. Looking good, Al. Glad you were able to find the exhaust manifold.

12. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Thanks. Pretty soon I'm going to be out of excuses for not taking the 32 apart.;)
    Turns out the front of the chassis is partially boxed. I suspect I'm going to learn a lot about the car's 75 years of evolution very soon. All the wiring is going in the trash. What is being used actually works but there is so much that is no longer used and I'm adding turn signals and real fuse panels... one for hot all the time and the other off the ignition switch for accessories. Be kinda cool to have all the fuses in one spot!:D
    I have had a lot of fun zipping around town with my 4 banger with a 5 speed. Now I'm going to make it a ground shaker.:eek::D If it is even close to my gasser, it will be a hoot to drive! It will involve a lot of work and some engineering but I'm hoping to pull it off with some help from my friends.;):D
    Should be a BUSY New Year!:D Of course, these days I never get too busy... at anything! :D:D
    I'll get it done eventually... I hope!;)

Many thanks to all for the continued help and encouragement.

13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Forgot to mention for our "schooling" that a Buick guru in CA has a diagram for an alternate wiring plan from stock that involves a three way switch on the dash. Switch in middle, works like normal automatic with no switch pitch. Switch up, switch pitch is on. Switch down, switch pitch on only when foot on the brake... helps high HP big cammed engines stay still at the light.;)
    You can look it up for yourself on the centervilleautorepair.com web site under tech info and there is a bunch of it!
    That whole site should be a textbook for use in our "schooling.";)
    I haven't fully researched and thought out that option. I may pursue it but am inclined to get it to work like it did in the Riviera Gran Sport. I think it kicked switch pitch on when you nailed it and also when stopped but need to research to be sure. Opportunities!
    For now, I'll be happy to just get it in the car!:)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  14. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Just got an update on the expected delivery of the exhaust manifold from CA... probably next Thursday due to some delays in the shipping system.:(
    BTW, some more details for our "school." The exhaust manifold I need only came on 1959 and 1960 Buicks that had single exhaust. Buick guru also told me that the 1961 Buick single exhaust manifold for the driver's side moved the outlet a little bit farther toward the front but that sometimes caused problems for those using a Vega steering box.
    Just some little details to file away in your school notes.;) He also commended me on my plan to use an engine mount crossmember that will add considerable strength to the engine mounting points to better harness the mighty torque of the big Buick.
    I also cleaned and hammered out the dents in the transmission flywheel cover and painted it after a good cleaning.:)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Al, Although the Nailhead wasn't used in production cars past 1966 model year, the switch pitch was used on the BOP pattern TH400 thru at least '67.........I had two complete ones, still have one....the other I sold the converter to "31vickiewithahemi" several years ago. They were used in Buicks and some Oldsmobiles in that era. One thing I am not sure of...but 'think' is true....'64 Buick Nailheads got the ST400----along with the '65/'66 you mention. The ST400 is essentially a TH400 by an earlier name.

16. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4056.JPG IMG_4057.JPG
    I'm very pleased to report that I got my manifold today and it seems to be what we've been looking for.:)
    Thanks to all that have helped find this elusive manifold.
    The seller also included another bottom pulley that had very slight damage to the front of the pulley. I'm going to do like TomT did and have someone cut the stock three belt pulley down to a one belt pulley. That will be tomorrow's "opportunity.";):D
    I had to tweak my engine lift setup a bit to fully seat against the manifold but it is all done and the manifold is bolted on. I still need to get the engine cross member and engine mounts before I'm out of excuses for not starting to take the 32 apart.:eek::D:D
    I'll come back to this thread with more Buick specific information if I find any and hope our research will help others in the future. Big "Thank you!" to Don and others for putting up with my efforts at contributing to our "schooling."
    I hope to one day post a picture of the Buick engine IN my 32 cabriolet.;):)
    Hope y'all are a patient bunch.:D:D

17. That's great news, Al. Looking forward to those pictures of the Nailhead in the Cabriolet.....Don.

Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.
  18. Great news on finding that manifold Al. Been slammed busy with work and holiday stuff and finally got a chance to check up on this thread. Now I just gotta get in gear and get my stuff done so I can get on my 32 Sedan and get the 425 in it!

19. Back up for more great Nailhead information..............Don.:)

Hamtown Al likes this.
  20. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Well, I've been busy on getting my 425 Buick engine into my 32 cabriolet and haven't come across anything for our Buick school until yesterday when it was time to figure out what to do about radiator hoses for the little Ford.
    The following may not work for you but it is what I found.
    IMG_4413.JPG IMG_4412.JPG
    IMG_4414.JPG Above are the portions of the bottom hose that I did NOT use. Parts store guy said no refunds for partially returned hoses!:D
    There may be hoses out there that work better and if anybody does; please add the info to this thread.;)
    I'm posting this to help future Buick fellows keep from spending the good amount of time I spent perusing many, many radiator hoses! :)
    I hope to have mine running soon as I have pretty much completed the installation and wired the car. If interested, you can find the details on my thread about my 32 cabriolet that was in the same family for 75 years.
    I hope this will help somebody in the future.
    Learnin' Al

21. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

sept 20-21, 2019 at cecil county is buick race weekend. if you're looking for a nailhead that flies, c'mon down. there is a 66 gs that is the fastest nailhead door car in the country.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  22. .............For those who may not be familiar with Cecil County Dragway, it's located in the far Northeast corner of Maryland.

loudbang and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  23. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4623.JPG IMG_4624.JPG As a final update on my project, here it is at the ice cream shop. I first drove it on May 5th and this past Wednesday, June 12th, I drove it on two trips out of town; totaling over 100 miles in one day with no issues... other than a love of high test gasoline! Thanks for following along and I'll note for our Buick school record that I did not use the passenger side exhaust manifold from the original Gran Sport but rather one I got from a pal and had to have spruced up to seal properly. The details are on the long thread about my 32 that was in the same family for 75 years. Thanks for all the interest and helpful suggestions and insight.
    By the way, the new air cleaner from Obrien Truckers looks just great to me and is a wonderful complement to the Buick valve covers... I think Dennis has some more if you'd like one.;):D

1pickup, WHD, Finn Jensen and 3 others like this.
  24. WHD

WHD

A bit late, but here's mine....

Attached Files:

1pickup, Jet96, Hamtown Al and 2 others like this.
  25. ^^^^^Beautiful^^^^:)

WHD, loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  26. WHD

WHD

Thanks guys. I’ve attached a pic, sans the filter. Good to know Hamtown AI regarding the lower radiator hose. I have a similar set up as yours and it's currently pieced together to get all the bends right. It works but would like to change it at some point. Fantastic looking rides by the way.:)

Attached Files:

27. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, dragging up an old thread but I am looking for a little info. Can anyone give me a guide on what an original, perfect condition Edelbrock B262 intake is worth? Its been difficult to find anything on them at all.
    Any help much appreciated.

28. Back up and in the process of buying a deuce with a 401. Have never had a nailhead so following

lothiandon1940 and pprather like this.
  29. Bump. some great Nailhead info here. Thanks to all who contributed. We miss you @Hamtown Al. Rest easy.

bchctybob, Bangingoldtin and 40FORDPU like this.
  30. Thanks @lothiandon1940 for bumping this thread.
    Several months ago I bought another '40 Ford p/u project that has a 322 in it, so the information on this thread has been great to educate me on these engines.
    Mine is coupled with an automatic...not sure what transmission it has.
    On the top of the transmission (bellhousing) it has a large C3 scribed on it?
    I haven't had a chance to start this project yet, but am looking forward to it.
    IMG_4475.JPG

1pickup, bchctybob and lothiandon1940 like this.