Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods scrapping parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 9, 2018.

1. I was cleaning up some junk from behind the barn yesterday that had accumulated over the years, nothing that anyone would consider worthwhile and remember the rear axle that I pulled out of the '54 Wagon, I had advertised it for sale in the classifieds when I removed it for 100 bucks or best offer after a few months I offered it free, just come and I still no takers, I even loaded it up and took it to a swap meet and offered it for free ,still no takers.

I have been tripping over the darn thing in my shop for the last 10 years and decided to load it up and take to the scraper along with the junk.

I hate to trash a part that someone could have been used but there comes a time when something has to go, have any of you guys done something similar? HRP

Deuces, czuch, Nicholas Coe and 4 others like this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Every fall I do a purge of parts that haven’t sold in a year. If they were on online auction sites,Craigslist,Facebook etc and have not sold they are gone. People had their chances

4. working on a major clean up now.........

Deuces, The37Kid and ct1932ford like this.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I parted out a 51 and a 53 Chevrolet, and a 1960 El Camino. the only useable part I cut up to scrap was a frame from the 51, but in my defense I did cut out the trans cross member and sold that. I believe in treating these old heaps the same way the Indians treated the Buffalo, nothing goes to waste.

Deuces, 0351, williebill and 7 others like this.
  6. The last move to this house.
    Garage was empty from the previous owner, not a shelf or nail in the wall.
    Sooooo by the time I got my car and stuff in the garage. The snow blower and lawnmower ended up in the back yard by the pool.
    About 2 weeks after moving I get a call from the wife asking about why the snowblower is in the backyard in August? Well my answer was not the right one!! Lol! Says I need to come home and clean up the garage.
    Ok, ok I’ll chuck a box or 2 or a bag make her happy..... well first box I opened was the old pistons cam etc from my 262 that I rebuilt !! ( why am I saving this shit?)
    2nd box was old junk from my Chrysler ( sold that car over 15 years ago?!?)
    Then some waxes and sprays from when I worked at jag ( shit that was 10 plus years ago)

I threw out about 90% of what I paid movers to move ! Sold abunch more. If I need it I’ll buy it but to hoard it for “what if” makes no sense I live in a generic subdivision with a two car garage so space is always at a premium!
    Would rather have room to fix the car and my tools then loaded up with junk!

Even though I love junk !! Lolo_O

7. das858

das858

Every time I scrap a part someone calls two weeks later needing it !

-Brent-, Chappy444, GuyW and 22 others like this.
  8. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

patmanta, chryslerfan55 and alanp561 like this.
  9. i removed grease from parts by scraping them, i got rid of parts by scrapping them.

48fordnut, RDR, Junior Stock and 13 others like this.
  10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Ya,after a long time,that I wasted a lot of my time moving things around an trying to sell or give away some things,yes. Just gets to the point were I blow more time an work on them. really hate doing the junk it deal.

11. fortynut

fortynut

I have a Desert Rat sense that everything that follows me home can and will be used someday. And, can assure myself Murphy's Law is applicable to old parts with the following codicil: anything that you throw away will be essential to your needs at a future time, and will make you lose your mind looking for it because by that time you will have forgotten Eighy Sixing it. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  12. Hombre

Hombre

I am bad about keeping stuff, just hate to throw it away. I have used the "Pay It Forward" thing a couple of times with good luck. Just got rid of a 215 Ford six and tranny that were in my way after starting a engine swap in my 53 Ford, and in that case I believe it went to a good home and will be used again.

I also am in the middle of a shop clean up. Over by my cut off saw I am just amazed at the scrape I keep little pieces of scrape metal, pieces of pipe and tubing damn must be a couple of hundred pounds or more. I did what I usually do and put it all in a box, hell I still can't seem to throw it away.

13. 47ragtop

47ragtop

I am like a lot of people here , children of depression era parents. My Dad never threw anything away, even a 6" piece of a 2 by 4. Of course I keep small scraps of steel , tubing , etc just like my Dad. I also can't find anything I have saved , but I just can't throw anything away. later Bill

Deuces, GuyW, treb11 and 8 others like this.
  14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I am a horder but when we moved from the farm to our new house and shop I was forced to cut up for iron a 32 Ford chassis, 31 Chevy frame, 29 Hupmobile frame (trashed) and a 55-57 Chevy PU short wheelbase frame. Oh yea the deuce chassis was for a long wheelbase BB truck and I couldn't give it away either!

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. 117harv

117harv

I've hauled off ten pickup loads in the last month, still lots left. I have 25 banjo rears for sale..anyone?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Deuces, -Brent- and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  16. Been going thru a big clean-up for the past few months. A reality check of sorts I guess. I've always been a what-if kinda guy when it came to saving parts, as in "what if I need this for something someday" and that day has never come. A lot of stuff has sat out in the elements where mother nature is not too kind to metal, plastic, or rubber. What was once useable and sat aside with good intention got stuck out of sight and out of mind and is now only worth the few bucks that the scrap man is paying. I've been working on cars for 18yrs in single car, attached, garage and before that it was open carport at my parents house. I recently had a large shop built and now I have no desire whatsoever to stash anything. I simply do not want the clutter or disorganization. It takes awhile to get a mess back in order once it gets out of hand.

17. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I'd clean it up and keep it! Our motto around here is try to give something away, no body wants it - put a price on it and someone will buy it...…….

Deuces, Black_Sheep and Bruce Fischer like this.
  18. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I've been cleaning up and getting ride of bunch of my crap that I haven't touched in years. Boxes full of old SBC water pumps, stock exhaust manifolds and intakes, alternators, that sort of junk. Not so much downsizing, but more like making more room for 'good stuff'. ha ha

19. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

I put my left over parts up for free. If nobody takes them, they go to scrap. I really don't have room for useless to me stuff to be sitting around. I have parts accumulating from my 49 Plymouth right now. Will be put up here shortly....

Deuces likes this.
  20. clem

clem

There are some parts that no longer serve a purpose.........
    Most people now use 9” diffs, - I think it’s time to take yours to the scrapper.

Deuces likes this.
  21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you spent a little more time scraping and then invest in a little bit of paint you could probably avoid the scrapper Danny :D:D

Deuces likes this.
  22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have no free space for anything. Space costs me money. If it is not directly involved in the immediate project, or, at most, the next one, or a family heirloom, it is gone.

When I change my plan, or can a project, everything gets sold. What does not sell gets given away. What nobody wants for free gets scrapped.

Deuces likes this.
  23. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I have collected ,bought,sold and traded cars and parts for 45 plus years. I have swapped Jefferson and Iola for 30 and always did well. But to be honest the last 5 or 6 years it has really been a waste of time and money. This spring I am cleaning house, projects , parts everything except the two Mercs and the three Mustangs and my 72 ltd convertible that I have owned for 31 years and my late father in law's 79 Pinto that he left me. at 63 I don't have enough time or desire for the other 6 projects or the parts that I or anyone else it seems wants anyhow free or not. Danny anyone doing a 53/54 Ford either has that rear end or they are going to replace it with something newer. But if scrap prices are what they are around here , do not expect to cover the cost of gas to haul it! lol Larry

Deuces likes this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

You still have my email and phone number, right?:cool:

Bob

25. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I had a '62 Studebaker Champ pickup that I advertised as "free to a good home". I had a guy carefully explain to me how much it would be worth if I restored it. He got offended when I suggested that he use his time and money on it. I eventually took it to the crusher and discovered that Studebaker pickups are worth $16.

26. There comes a time. Being in my 70's now I do not keep too many spares around. I put stuff I no longer want or need in a spot to bring to Hershey each year, and that has worked pretty well in keeping things in check.

27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

9950E74E-35A4-46AD-810B-E9C1BFB07336.jpeg

those make bitchin jack stands....

28. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The closer a particular car gets to the finish line the more shit I had for it that I start unloading. I sell if I can, donate if need be, and then scrap as a last resort. I just don't have enough room to hang on to stuff I cannot use right away.

Deuces likes this.
  29. squirrel

squirrel

I scrapped about 50,000 lbs of mostly car parts about 8 years ago. I regret getting rid of a few things, but it needed to go.

Deuces, 62hotcat, 31hotrodguy and 2 others like this.
  30. Junk shit all the time.....then the idiot that you offered it to for free calls months later.......some times you just have to say adios ! The wrecking yards I've have worked in and around for over 50 years say the same thing.........

Deuces and Bruce Fischer like this.