Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Do you ever wonder about really smart guys?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willys36, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

2. Deuces

Deuces

3. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Gimpy, could you elaborate on the fail-safe system self driving cars have? I have watched electronics enter the car market over the years and have noticed the high failure rate of some systems. Luckily now, if an electronic system fails, the car won’t run or some component fails to work.
    With self driving cars, when something fails, all Hell could break loose. That’s what scares me, electronic failure! And they will fail at times, nothing is perfect.

Bones

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Details? No.

Basically, aircraft-grade redundancy.

6. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I can ever begin to remember my source for that anecdote, I'll certainly pass it on.

I think I'm sure I didn't dream it.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Who knows. 20 years from now I might be cruising in an electric self driving 50 mercury.

alanp561 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. On a side note

I find it odd that people use technology to complain about technology

9. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

So true, people in my area were calling in on their cell phones to protest the construction of a cell phone tower.

10. Our best hope for a future for the stuff we enjoy driving here is to be able to coexist with technology

Or some kind of mad max reality

Technology has allowed us to enjoy reproductions of some of our favorite rides and replacement parts for them.

Horses and wagons haven’t disappeared even after over a century of automobiles.

chryslerfan55 and trollst like this.
  11. F&J

F&J

Geezus...I'd crush it..and enjoy doing it..

lets maybe get back traditional talk, eh? These OT threads get 10 times more clicks that somebody posting something about an old build. How sad is that?

12. Don’t worry I won’t post any drivetrain stuff here. Just the body.
    Crush it? A smart hamber would just swap in a flat head
    Hmmmmmmmmm
    An electric/ flathead hybrid
    Thanks

13. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Where do I start?

There is a lot wrong with the pretty much Hegelian way most people think – have been taught to think – about history today. The part I'm interested in right now is the idea that any given scientific discovery must (historically) result in one specific outcome of technological development and no other. The implication which follows from this is that the technological development in a given era forms a sort of package deal in which any component necessitates all the rest. I take issue with both these ideas.

Someone recently asked (@X38 – it might have been you?) if I had been ironic in my choice of user name. I wasn't: the actual Luddites of c.1810 weren't so much opposed to technology (the idea as we know it had at that time barely even begun to form) as – quite unbeknownst to themselves, certainly – to the mediating structures of political economy which caused the scientific discoveries which enabled early industrial weaving to result in machines suitable for mass employment by the already landed gentry rather than, say, machines which might expand the productive capabilities of individual jobbing weavers while reducing physical risk and injury to themselves. The original Luddites weren't against technology; they had technology and were against the half-assed excuse for technology which couldn't even do the bare minimum of what they might reasonably expect improved technology to do for them.

Once you see that the relationship of scientific discovery to technological development is always mediated by political economy, the whole notion of a "march of progress" falls flat. No actual technological history is inevitable: at any time given a suitable economic regime the range of possible technological development is infinitely varied, and it follows that given a suitable economic regime the range of possible technological development right now from any prior art however ancient is also infinitely varied.

In my time I've seen one emerging technology after the other jump the shark and turn into something all wrong. The internet is hugely useful, but the IP regime has made it is misshapen freak compared to what it might have been. Even something as basic as the city has by stages been debased. No longer a device for enabling economic encounters, the city has been turned into a device for restricting economic encounters. And this was done in part by making the automobile not a cool thing with which to go places but an enormously profitable necessity for urban access in a context of engineered mass dependence on wage employment.

The primary economic fact of the world we inhabit today is a historically cultivated surplus of labour, but because it is pervasive it is invisible to most of us. Just so the primary social fact of the world we inhabit today is a condition of conative impoverishment. Wikipedia describes the word "conation" as one of the most obscure in the English language, which is ironic because it is that part of a vast multitude of people which hurts most desperately.

But this is not new. It's not as if we suddenly have a sense of frustrated agency and all was hunky-dory in the Golden Age* of 1958. It's been coming on much longer than that. Indeed it is my belief that hot rodding grew precisely out of that sense of frustrated agency. The difference is that the prospect of taking back the technology must have seemed a lot more realistic in 1958. Or whenever.

I don't understand how people can have a non-dialectic view of hot rodding. If hot rodding isn't fighting back it's nothing at all. But the enemy also fights back.

My fear is that the emerging iterations of the automobile will not satisfy our need for mobility but exacerbate it; that the structural necessity of creating threshold demand – it will be greater than anything we've ever seen – will leave us with a greater mobility deficit than ever, only surmountable by increasingly elusive wealth. We must see that the automobile is already a product of cultivated threshold demand and has been – increasingly – since the early '30s. That has to stop. The answer lies in precisely the opposite direction. And Moderators, I'm very sorry, but that is a political thing.

* The manufacture of "The Fifties" is a subject worthy of study. How did the '50s as a cliché become time-honoured, good-old-fashioned, traditional in less than a decade? At least half the popular cultural goods of the past half-century are based on successive reinterpretations of the '50s cliché. I must say I'm a bit over it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Because everything went sideways right after that.

Bam.inc, alanp561 and The37Kid like this.
  15. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, that is good enough for me.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Could someone please invent this and become a multi millionaire? With the world filled with cellphone geeks just dying to show you photos PLEASE figure out something to replace the falaying index finger, maybe a button? ALSO have the phone reach 800 - 1000 degrees as soon as the first obscenity is uttered when the ----ing photo can't be found. I did find out the cell phones also have a flashlight now, how handy.

Bob

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  17. Little known, less cared about fact; that scene was filmed on a road just outside Bakersfield CA. , most likely around Lamont or Weedpatch.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Whoa... Getting a little deep here ...I'm Still trying to figure out this... Tire Rotation.jpg g

19. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, that's how you rotate tires. What are you confused about?

Deuces, VANDENPLAS and Special Ed like this.
  20. rgdavid

rgdavid

That depends if you look at rotating tyres from a plan view or side view...lol

Deuces likes this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Careful Ned.

This is not a matter of simply partisan triviality.

Rectification of this matter could necessitate the eschewing of the extant socioeconomic system, in-favor of one the likes of which, in name alone, is unspeakable in most developed nations.

Interference with the very process by which the powerful derive and enhance their power will be looked upon as an act of heresy, and treated as such, bringing the full weight-and-measure of available force against the offenders.

Heterodoxy will not be tolerated on this forum, or in the public forum.

chryslerfan55 and Ned Ludd like this.
  22. I think I just keep coming back to this thread to learn new words and get more confused. Wow it's great being this dense...

RMR&C, Sky Six, The37Kid and 2 others like this.
  23. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

24. How true, can't wait till Monday when I can share them with the guys at work.
    I haven't had this much fun since I tried to decipher the small print on my insurance policy.
    Joking aside, it has been very entertaining.

lothianwilly71 and milwscruffy like this.
  25. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I have nothing to say about the 50's, was a good time period and kids had fun, life was good.
    What scares me is I understand and agree, and even see where you watered down the rest of what you said.
    I wont say anything other then, we are in a really good place and life is good.

Really smart people plain and simple imho, product of re-incarnation.
    young children in collage, they are not learning new, just remembering what they already knew in a past life time.
    Know a artist with a welder .... yup past life.
    Know a girl that identifies as a man .... yup

26. What’s cool is that we are still trying to figure out how to use/ perfect the smartness of Tesla
    You might be cool but not playing with a remote control sail boat in the1800s cool

27. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Wow, ?¿ , I'm not really sure what to think of this whole thread? It's been real, & it's been fun...but for a few posts, it's not real fun? But Funny.
    The most useful info kinda went downhill after the Cashew picture. Oh, that was back in OP post #1.

. . .

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

I know disk brakes are too new for HAMB friendly vehicles, but did you know that Cashew nuts are used in the making of disk brake pads?

Bob

chryslerfan55, alanp561 and Deuces like this.
  29. Deuces

Deuces

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.