Register now to get rid of these ads!

46-48 Ford wipers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 416Ford, Jan 29, 2013.

1. 416Ford

416Ford

Looking for a picture of someones electric wipers in a 46-8 Ford. I am replacing the vacuum wiper motor that I had (Wrong year) and I am having problems. Everything seems to hit something.
    New motor is a Vintique set up from Mac's.
    This is the old one (I now have the factory mount bracket that is shaped like the one shown).

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just found your thread. I'm surprised that no one has answered your question, I find the vast majority of HAMB'ers to be the most helpful group out there.
    Anywayyy, I'm only able to get this photo either because of my camera or my lack of skills. This is a Vintique motor in a 47 tudor. Same part# for 41-48.
    You will notice the bracket you show with your vacuum pump at the top of my installation. You will also notice another bracket that goes down to the vent assembly. Do not omit this bracket, it makes the installation 100% more solid.
    The installation is fairly straightforward, made much easier if the dash is out.
    I've learned some things about this setup.
    First, Vntique will tell you that the conversion will fit completely as stock. Ain't so. Although the motor fits up well, the switch is going to have to go somewhere else outside of the stock location in the windshield frame. Just isn't gonna work! I tried two days, even made shaft adapters, etc. The switch will have to go somewhere on the dash, and I suspect that Vintiques knew this as there is ample wire in the system to place the switch in a good place on the dash.
    Next, when I got my installation done, a check showed the motor worked great, was quiet, and parked with authority. However, I wasn't getting a full sweep on the driver's side, and was getting a full sweep on the passenger's side. A call to Vintique gave me advice in that the transmission arm on the end of the motor shaft is splined, and adjustable 360 degrees all around. I will have to find the "sweet spot" on the motor shaft that splits the difference, taking from one side to fill the sweep on the other.
    In all, I'm pleased with the install, but can't stop wondering what if I had installed a vacuum canister under the dash to keep the vacuum wipers from slowing down on acceleration.
    I can't say, as I didn't try, but I've seen vacuum canisters used to absolve problems with vacuum systems in the past. This might be a better option, especially if you are going to keep the 6V pos. ground system.
    Hope this helps....Mike

3. Guys, I made this photo big so that 416 Ford could get a close look at how this thing fits.
    Subsequent photos will be smaller. Mike

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I'm amazed that the OP (original poster) hasn't discovered the various companies that advertise in hot-rod-oriented magazines. A simple call to them or a visit to their websites should give you an idea of what you're looking for. Mike Britton has given you some great advice. No matter what you order, it will not be a "plug and play" installation - not much aftermarket stuff is. In general, they will mount, but the problems usually arise in the details (where the devil resides). His comment that he could have saved some aggravation by installation of a backup vacuum source is also sagacious advice. Most of our ancestors (and even many of we old rodders) managed to outlive the dangers and inconsistencies of vacuum-operated wipers. A vacuum storage container could solve your problem a bit easier if not cheaper.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013

5. Sorry that I don't have any pictures. As I recall, when I installed the wiper motor in my early '46 coupe, I had to modify the mounting bracket in order to get it to work. I wasn't using the original dash, though. Anyway, I have found that most "simple bolt in" products usually don't. Once I got everything sorted out, I was very happy with it, it was well worth the money. Good luck...

6. 416Ford

416Ford

Wiper motor I have does not clock in the correct spot and has a interference problem also.

I have looked into the wiper options for a few years now. I have purchased a Vintique set up from Mac's.

The instructions I have show the other style wipe transmission that is a complete unit.
    My car has been in pieces and missing the wiper assemble for 15years.

Mike and I have the same style wiper mount and I thank him for posting this picture. I posted a request for the picture on his post but I think he missed it.
    Mike, I do not see a support that comes down from the right side of the cowl vent and attaches to the cowl vent handle assembly? that is one of the major interference problems I was having.
    I will head out to the garage tonight and try again. The holes on my new motor do not line up with the bracket but I can open them up.
    Dave.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I used a Newport Engineering electric wiper kit in my '47 Ford Coupe a few years ago.......piece of cake install, no issues.

Ray

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

Great info for when I get to the wipers thanks guys!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Has anyone checked to see if Bob Drake has an elec wiper kit available, for 46 / 48 Ford?
    I know mine is the "wrong" year / model, but the one they sell for 40 pickups is a good fit, and easily adjusted.

4TTRUK

10. fordor41

fordor41

I installed a Vintique electric wiper on my '41 Ford. It "parked" inthte up position. After fiddling with it I called them because it quit. They said send it back. They said it had a broken park switch and would replace. Also they would make sure it parked down. Received the new one and guess what. It parked up. Called them and they told me how to pull the side cover and change the gear to make it park down. Also one wiper had a short stroke and one had a long stroke plus it was noisy as hell. Could never get it straightened out so bought a new vac. wiper motor and all issues disappeared. All I did to make the wiper strokes equal was to install the new vac. motor. I think they've got the linkage on the motor shaped wrong. I was at the NSRA Knoxville show and I can't guess how many cars I saw with the same exact problem I had.

11. 416Ford

416Ford

Well thanks to Mike's picture I figured mine out. During the build I installed a console in the car, this interfered with the cowl handle so it was moved to the left. Forgot all about this when I tried to install the wipers.
    Guess I did a good job since it looked natural.
    Once I put the dash back in I will modify the supports to clear the wiper motor and arms.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Actual wiper motor with mount attached and the drawing they send... Doesn't look anything like what I have.
    [​IMG]

And another photo in case anyone else needs it.

[​IMG]

12. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

Newport Engineering is the best. I have them on two of my own cars and have installed them on three other cars for friends and have never had to modify any brackets. One of the cars that I have is a 47 Ford Car and I got a Vintique wiper motor dirt cheap so I tried it. I have since purchased a NewPort motor to go on because the Vintique motor does not part in the correct spot sometimes and has trouble moving the wiper arms.

13. phat rat

phat rat

Another recommendation for Newport Enginnering. I put theirs in the 41 back in 07. Went in easy and have had no problems

14. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Newport in my 46. Also my 53 and 40. Best there is period.

15. For what it's worth, I finally got my vintiques conversion adjusted properly.
    Have a very nearly full sweep on both wipers. Unit is quiet, parks in the same spot every time. I'm going to replace both arms and wipers, just to get the setup as nice as I can.
    Took removing and reinstalling the unit three more times.
    I still think it's a better setup than a vacuum unit.

16. I mounted a wipersetup from a jaguar.
    take a look in my topic.

17. 416Ford

416Ford

You say the word Jaguar here in Michigan and it costs you $100.
    I did see your install and spent a day looking at the local pick a part last summer. Did not see any cars in the lot with the cable style setup.

18. over here you can get a complete setup for about 40-50 dollar.

but,some other parts are expensive to ship to europe. :cool:

19. MGK

MGK
    from Ohio

What did you do to change the gear? I have same problem with it parking up instead of down. ~Chris

20. MGK

MGK
    from Ohio

What did you do to change the gear? I have same problem with it parking up instead of down. ~Chris

21. fordor41

fordor41

Remove the side cover and rotate the large plastic gear 180 deg.

22. ibarodder

ibarodder

We used a VW beetle wiper setup in a 46 it was pretty easy to adapt.

23. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

I need to know the routing for the vacumm hoses, i forgot how they go, wiper motor works fine.

24. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I would go with Newport. I used theirs in my Olds convertible, and I am very satisfied with its installation and operation. Give them a try!

25. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

Likewise, I installed a Newport Engineering unit in my 47 Tudor, no issues at all.