Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest How do Ca junkyard/scrap yard operate?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Raunchy

Raunchy

Ask Frieburger and Finnegan on Roadkill. They do this stuff all the time.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, there is a bonded title process, and it costs $100, for the three-year bond period, for a vehicle of that value.

3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Can you tell us how lengthy that process is?

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Find a monster truck event in LA.

s55mercury66 likes this.
  7. Well we'll see that happens... I thank all the members for their friendly advice and optimistic attitude..
    It gives young and upcoming guys the drive to save the hobby.

Ill wait for the whiny threads where "young guys are not interested in hot rods"

BigChief likes this.
  8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here there is one yard that has a "hulk license" meaning that they are license by the state to take hulks without a title and the state patrol inspects them and they either crush them or part them. They still have to do the paperwork on it.
    Before the bottom fell out on scrap metal prices you could probably have found a couple of yahoos that would either haul it off to cut it up or cut it up on the spot, and haul it off. If Cali is like here there aren't a lot of guys hauling scrap on a regular basis. That might be an option though, ADD on Craigslist or FB for free scrap metal, you haul, must be removed while I stand there. Otherwise I hope your sawzall has lots of extra batteries and your axe is sharp

10. B
    The seller would let me use power out there..
    I have an gas torch etc...
    I talked to a scrap metal picker? Last night,he says the scrappers wont take anything that resembles a car..

Seems like im going to pass on it.

[[QUOTE="Hot Rods Ta Hell, post: 12855532, member: 54653"[/QUOTE]

That was my plan B,I messaged a few scrappers only one answered...they want the easy shit, they want it already cut up in to pieces 5x2 feet,

11. 5window

5window

Like Tom Sawyer and whitewashing the fence. They'll take your parts off for you,too.

12. Most of the wanted parts i would take my self..i basically want to cut the "face"off the thing, take the doors steering wheel, engine if its a v8,doghouse maybe pedals.
    The rest is basically a box truck with a roller door..no interest in that.

13. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Nope.....

nochop likes this.
  14. dan31

dan31

^^^ So you would just leave your trash for someone else to clean up?,the term "fucking classy" comes to mind.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    nochop and lonejacklarry like this.
  15. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Now Bohemian Rhapsody is on the brain.... Thanks a lot!!! LOL

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Well, Dan...Ever been to Pomona??? Boy, the outside bedrooms are a sight to behold! A whole 'condominium' of blankets, tarps, and old mattresses, piled in front of legal buildings, commercial buildings, and even private residences!
    The is no excrement brigade to shovel up human feces, and all this 3 minutes of the Pomona Fairgrounds!
    I think last year's Fathers' Day was the last trek for sons and me...
    And the 'citizens' walking those streets! (Main thoroughfare) Crap! Roll up the windows...watch out for poison darts!
    Before some bleeding hearts start to condescend me, let me say: Folks who are desparate need to 'clean up' a little, (much as possible) and NOT be publicly 'threatening'.
    Amazing... I'm USMC, boxed some, well balanced. And 'nervous' while we were in Pomona.
    As for the point? What's the difference? Dump it in Pomona. May just be the tip of the NICEberg, getting this place cleaned up!

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Or someone's new abode.

18. dan31

dan31

If I'm wrong ,I'm wrong . I stand corrected. I was looking at it from a "pride of community" view but it sounds like "anger at local government " view may be stronger by the folks more familiar with the area.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  19. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

well its like this! The laws state you cannot scrap it whole. You are stuck with it, if you dont have title. If it is abandoned on a public street. It is towed by the same organizations that dont let you scrap it. Then they haul it to the scrap or tow yard and it ends up scrapped. Imagine that....... It would be easier if they would just let us scrap it but all the thieving bastards have ruined that for the honest. And just for the record Ive seen the trash on the streets of Jersey so there must be plenty of "fucking classy" people there also...... At least here the authoritys would have it hauled off......

20. dan31

dan31

maybe the system is broken but no need to add to the problem ,that what I'm saying. And ya, there are "classy people" everywhere[ although no trash piles in SOUTH Jersey ever] . Leaving trash for someone else to deal with it is a burden on the community no matter how you look at it even if the local authorities brought it on themselves due to short sighted legislator policies . I do understand the frustration

Texas57 and porkshop like this.
  21. indyjps

indyjps

If theres that many homeless, a box van dropped in the right area will be someone's new home. You're helping society by creating low cost instant housing for the masses. Paint safe injection site on the side, roll it off the trailer and be gone.

If the parts are that difficult to find, find a way to make it work.

22. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Back in 1960, there were so many scrap yards around our neighborhood, Westside of Long Beach, that we could pick and choose where and what, any time. If we had tons of stuff to get rid of, we just took it over there. Living near the industrial section and the harbor had its advantages. No environmental laws, ordinances, or scrutiny about where those parts came from, etc. But, in August of 1960, we had to have our California pink slip to deposit our crashed 40 Willys Coupe in the scrap yard located in nearby Wilmington,CA. We had known about the pink slip, so it was handy. We dropped the empty shell of a coupe off near the main gate and we never saw it again.

These days, there are companies that drive up to your house to pickup scrap whatever. So, there is no need to go to the big dump in the local mountains or the closest scrap yard 50 miles away. Living in suburbia has rules and So Cal is full of those, including strict dumping laws and scrap yards. These scrap yards are getting scarce, but are being labeled "recycle centers." So Cal has the local trash pickup companies that allow household pickups for stuff to large for the normal size trash cans. Each house has several pickup calls for free during the year. CHECK THEM OUT IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD.

Jnaki
    The last time I was driving around in our old Long Beach area, there are a few recycle centers where the old scrap yards used to be located. It is still an industrial area.

23. In my area the county has a "junk vehicle" program. They will pick up derelict vehicles for free. They don't pay you for the scrap value, but at least it's gone.
    Maybe that area has something similar?

24. With out going to details..
    I bought parts for my van yesterday...
    No sleep from friday at 5 am til last night at 9pm.
    A good friend also a hamber, a couple of beers and a very acomodating host.

Btw if anybody wants trim of sever cars, radios, lights, poverty caps.. The guy is selling cheap..
    Pm me for info.

bct, scotty t, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  25. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Strange, but I suddenly have a craving for a strawberry sundae....

clem likes this.
  26. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's cool. And maybe it's just me, but looking at the vehicles in your last pic, I'm going to hazard a guess you also have a pet bulldog.
    bulldog.png

27. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I was always taught to clean up after myself....and not leave a mess

Mr48chev and gimpyshotrods like this.
  28. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have them in many jurisdictions here, too, but they have to have paperwork.

nochop likes this.