Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cavalier Rack and Pinion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigaadams, May 23, 2005.

1. bigaadams

bigaadams
    from Georgia

Got a rod that was started by the previous owner...it utilizes the Cavalier rack and pinion..was wonder if anyone here is familair with it..have searched the net over and not found my answers..have not been able to get to see the local junkyard...

Is the Cavalier R&P internally regulated so you can use any power pump? Second, which hole is the inlet pressure from the pump to the valve body..

Appreciate any and all input here...Thanks...Tim

2. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

as a rule,the small inlet is the pressure side.

you'll have to check the shop manual(s) of both vehicles,the one in question and the cavalier.
    get the pump output pressures for both and go from there.

3. metalshapes

metalshapes

Since you put it that way...

What kind of Suspension is on the Car?
    Independent or I beam ( axle) ?
    Did you check the Geometry?
    The R&P is the one with the pivot points close together in the middle, right?
    If that R&P is mounted to the Frame with Ibeam Front Suspension, brace yourself for some Major Bumpsteer.
    And incase its a IFS... the worst case of Bumpsteer I've ever seen was a '39 Chevy with Corvair IFS that somebody had put a Rack and Pinion on.

Before you get too deep into this thing, check if its going to work right and be safe.
    If your not sure it will be, go for something that is proven to work ( like a Vega Box...)

4. bigaadams

bigaadams
    from Georgia

The R&P upgrade has been out there for years and is the kit supplied by the company PLYDO...I got no paperwork with the car and this portion of the job has been done as far as the geometry..I am not familar with GM and its parts. Yes it is the TRW style unit with both steering links joined in the center of the cylinder and it is a shared design for the LHS platform Chrysler utilizes (TRW) the same style and actually the dougnuts are one and the same for both cars. I know that Chrysler units are internally regulated and I will be using the Chrysler pump if possible as it is already attached to the 383 engine...I feel that the problem with bump steer has been worked out..worse case of bump steer I have ever seen occured in lowering a Porsche..this was corrected by the much necessary bump steer mounts.....as the other person pointed out about the smaller hole, I have not even removed the dust caps for a look-see...will make sure to inspect that this evening...appreciate all the relpies...

5. bigaadams

bigaadams
    from Georgia

Chuck..still have the dust caps on the unit..thanks for the tip..will inspect for size tonight.....appreciate you taking time to answer..I do not have a GM manual..will have to try and put my hands on a copy ..at least long enough to copy the power steering pages and keep with the car for future use...Tim

6. Fatman uses Cavalier Rack and Pinions in their steering upgrade kits for 54 to 59 (about) Fords. I have seen several instalations and they work good. Fatman may be able to help with this question. Worth the price of a phone call.

7. Saginaw stuff for GM and Chrysler usually use an 18mm pressure and 16mm return. Most of the GM small platform cars like the Cavalier used a TypeII pump.

8. 50' Ford Freak

50' Ford Freak

I put a Cavalier R&P in my 50' Ford. I just ordered all the Cavalier steering parts, steering arms, tie rod ends. The problem I have now is that the outer tie rod ends are not the same taper as the Ford ends. Anybody know a solution or a different outer tie rod that will match up?

9. goldmountain

goldmountain

Does anyone know which of these GM J-cars have a manual rack?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Moog lists tie rods, both inner and outer by dimension, thread and taper.
    I needed tie rods for a 1959 Mercedes with a 1980 dodge Omni rack. My parts guy had them on the shelf / after I drilled down the selection on moog site to a part number.

11. lowrd

lowrd

Goldmountain, I used a rack from a Pontiac Sunbird that was manual. If I recall correctly there were two ratios available from the rebuilder.

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

13. choptop40

choptop40

Good info here...thanks

14. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

And here's another example of someone not using traditional parts and techniques to build there car ...this picking and choosing looks really hinkey

twenty gallons and Surf City like this.
  15. sunbeam

sunbeam

How is it Cavalier racks 5speeds 700r4s are Mustang II front ends are Ok but jag XJ6 fronts Datsun Z car struts in Falcons and hidden GM electric power steering units not.

16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

17. Lots can change in 13 years since this thread started. And there was no report button back then. The member base was smaller so less bitching