Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Jeff Jones' Ed Roth's Mysterion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom davison, Dec 7, 2018.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Jeff could you post where to get your book..

rodncustomdreams and loudbang like this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

haha, I am single.....

3. I rest my case!!!!!!!!!

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

This is a great post. Thankyou

rodncustomdreams and loudbang like this.
  5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stunning car, you bet. Stunning photography, oh yea. Thanks for the insight Tom. The bubble blowing off is rich. Guess Jeff already built the new one because it sure looks like it has one.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. Anyone know what the lot number is for this?

8. Up right now

loudbang likes this.
  9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

10. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I had a bad stream. Mark, could you determine how many bidders there were?

loudbang likes this.
  11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

it was hard to tell

12. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Sothby's pre-sale expectations for the car was $100,000-150,000. That means that the car exceeded expectations by 150-200%. Impressive!

13. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

1956, 290 mm Ferrari sold for 20 mill... Damn

loudbang likes this.
  14. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I believe that the pre-sale expectations were $22 million for that one.

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow congratulations Jeff! Most impressive creation, that’s some serious validation.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

So if you run the engine any length of time the headers will turn blue but will only be visible on the side of the car with the running engine. The other side of the car will have a header without the blueing. Yeah I'd would have sold it too!

17. This is the end to a most interesting story. Jeff and Tom's involvement with this will make this story worth repeating for a long time. Much of Roth is myth. This is documented as good as it can be. I am close to Jeff's age and I share his fascination with Roth. He will certainly reflect with a huge grin on this for the rest of his days. I can only imagine the satisfaction Tom received from this whole escapade. Congratulations to you both for your contributions to the hot rod world! :)

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Kudos to you, Jeff. You deserve any and all profits that finally came from an armload of labor, perseverance, and dedication.
    The polishing on the axles/running gear alone made me cringe...
    Great undertaking, with a happy ending.

loudbang and rodncustomdreams like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car wasn't built to driven on the road. I'd Also have to believe that the consensus is that the collector or museum that bought it would much prefer shiny chrome that was not discolored than being able to climb in it and drive it down the street. Most of the show rods from that era didn't have any internal parts in the engine except the crank and that was needed to put the pulleys on or it probably wouldn't have been there.

20. Thank you for answering my question and congrats for the auction's result.

loudbang likes this.
  21. You are making a common mistake. Ed Roth never made a custom car. He made pieces of art in a car motif. I get a lot of comments like, "why did you not run both engines?, and "why would you leave out the second tranny?" Simple. It isn't a car! Ed NEVER made a steel. Detroit based master piece. Tweedy Pie was made by someone else, all Ed did was pin stripe it and bolt on a few shiny pieces. His dead stock Ford truck was just a paint job. Lil' Jewel was a very pedestrian rod with a paint job and chrome wheels. The bigger worry about Mysterion is how a person can fit in it for any length of time to attempt to drive it.

As far as the headers are concerned, yes they will blue at a different rate. My plan was to build a second set and have them Jet Hot coated for the demo run. Actually, I built the passenger Roth side header to feed through the dummy passenger block and exit through the passenger side header so it will sound like both engines are running. If run long enough that header should color too maybe. Regardless, the creation does not stand up to criticism as a real car for sure.
    As Mr48 says, it isn't a car!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car is an interpretation of the masters original art. I appreciate it for what it is. I can no longer view the original, I hope to someday spend time with this amazing replication. Thank you for giving us all the opportunity to understand and appreciate the art for what it is. Thanks Jeff.

23. You are EXACTLY why I built the car!

24. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I should mention that I was one of four persons who personally witnessed the actual demise of the Mysterion. That's how I figure into the build and the book.

Some history first. Many of you may know that I had a 47 year career airbrushing cars on t-shirts at car shows across the country and shopping malls stores later before I retired in 2008. I was a close associate of customizer Ray Farhner who also promoted shows where I sold my goods. I apprenticed airbrushing with Roth in 1960 at age 16 and I apprenticed car painting with Farhner staring in 1961. Ray built his own show feature cars (Eclipse, Boothill Express, etc.) and then he would lease other feature cars from the likes of Ed Roth, Steve Scott, etc. For instance, I applied the chartreuse metal flake paint onto the Mysterion that it wore to the end. My best known paint job was on the original Lee Pratt Nomad (recently restored) in 1967.

Bob Larivee of Promotions, Inc. (later World of Wheels) sent a semi car hauler to California to pick up new showcars for their show circuit and the driver stopped at Rays shop in Kansas City to pick the Mysterion and take it back to Roth's shop in Maywood. Ray called Roth and when he got off the phone, he Said, "Ed wants only the front and rear axles of the Mysterion and he doesn't care about the rest of it". So OK, Ray did it the easiest way possible, he just used his cutting torch to clip off the ends of the front and rear parts of the frame that had all of the suspension and axes attached, and we loaded them in the semi. Years later, Ed Newton, who worked for Roth at the time, told me that the shop employees all gathered around to see the Mysterion unloaded and freaked out when all there was there was axles!

This story has been told, mostly true, by many other people, none of whom were there that day. Present were Ray, Phil Julo, the truck driver and myself.

25. And the last known photo in Thacker's book of the car when it was owned by Doug Wright shows the torched radius arms under the body of the car.
    rear magazine last look 2-1.jpg

26. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

27. Nobey

Nobey

28. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

JEFF CONGRATS ON THE CAR AND THE SALE!!! WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT IN PERSON! YOU KNOCKED IT OUT OF THE PARK!

29. As I understand it is going somewhere in Michigan so is closer to you. I hope the new owner plans on displaying it so others can enjoy it. They haven't put us in touch yet. And thanks for loving the car!

dana barlow and catdad49 like this.