Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What Now?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Artworx, Dec 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

What he said, I think??

slv63 likes this.
  2. Being built by Scritch doesn't make it a museum piece, but it does make it a well built car that should drive well, at speed. Which is what a hot rod should do.

loudbang and wbrw32 like this.
  3. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I agree with exhaust and hood side change. I’d paint the billet dash black and change the wheel or have it wrapped in leather. Change the taillight to ‘48 Chevy. Done and done.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

osage orange and Squablow like this.
  4. F&J

F&J

hey you...Me crazy? >>>> Tonight, 20 degrees F...hotrod club Christmas party in central Connecticut club building. 100 people..quite a few hambers......only TWO rods drove there. Me, "the sane one" 32 with heater & roof & windows...then this old time built 32 channeled roadster!!! ..and a young buck owner...the traditional hobby ain't dead yet, with guys like him.
    DSCN2254.JPG

jimgoetz, dan31, 47ragtop and 10 others like this.
  5. belair

belair

I stand by my earlier statement.:p

loudbang and F&J like this.
  6. Latigo

Latigo

So late 70's is historic. I'm feelin' old right now. Great looking car. Doesn't "need" a thing. Just make it your own and enjoy it.

7. Artworx

Artworx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really appreciate all the advice and comments. I bought the car because of the nice appearance and Original '32 frame, tank and radiator shell, so registered with '32 VIN. Engiine is 327 with alum heads and pretty thumpy cam. Trans is 350 with No stall converter. Doesnt sit well at idle but goes like scalded dog. Rear is 58 or 9 Pontiac 4:11 with posi. I have a 3:23 gears to replace (came with car.) I really want a 200r with a 1200 or 1400 converter, but its plenty drivable now. You should have seen me driving it home 150 miles from Santa Cruz over two mountain passes. The 750 carb would only let it run at 55 or 80...so we did 80 all the way home. I recently swapped that for a 650 and what a difference. Now it just putts around but can scoot when you want. I replaced the stock tank with a Tanks 14 gal since there was gook in the old tank.
    I have a new wheel coming (like a bell wheel but 13 inch.) Main problem for me is leg room. Seat is back as far as can be but steering column makes it tight in front for da feet.
    I have a car guy friend that sez that you should buy what you want not what has potential. When I look at and sit in this car I understand what he's sayin'. The body is #16 from Wescott (bought from Pete & Jakes). I don't think I can cut that up, so any tail light change will have to be carefully thought out with the holes we have already. The paint is a Chrysler color (I have the number) but when we painted the new tank we found it has green pearl added...so I need to keep painting to a minimum...or else paint the whole thing. The frame has all the welds ground smooth and all custom cross members so it pretty much is what it ...
    Thanks for all the thoughts. At 77 I'm not going to be rebuilding it all over again. (I don't think.)

8. spanners

spanners

Never could understand why people pay a lot of money for something and then go about changing everything. Either buy a shitter and build it how you want or put up with what you bought. It always reminds me of the story of 'Grandpa's axe.

iwanaflattie likes this.
  9. If it was Scritchfields black 32 tub, I'd say leave it alone but not this car. You paid for the right to make it yours.

loudbang, 47ragtop and lurker mick like this.
  10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Just me, but I would remove the hood sides, change the steering wheel, maybe dye the interior black, and enjoy it until I figured out what wheels I wanted. I like the color.

11. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'm with Rocky.
    You paid for the right to make it your own.
    That entitles you to do with it as you please. Make it the best car for you.
    If there is some sort of historic value, the next owner can take it back to its historic value level, if he wants to. If your concerned about him, save the parts you change and include them in the sale. Gene

12. The direction of the build/changes to be made, really need to be considered before purchasing the/any car.
    Make the car your own, as stated you paid for that right.
    I could outline the perfect path to the perfect changes..FOR ME, but it's not my car, so that doesn't/shouldn't make a difference to you.
    Beautiful, obviously well built car, do it justice, by being true to yourself with your changes.
    Good luck..enjoy.

13. My 2 pennys worth. First congrats on a very nice Hot Rod. I guessing as a member here on the HAMB. You must like the Traditional Hot Rods, of the 4os, 50s,and 60s. I'm like of the late 50s and 60s best myself. My Hot Rod in the 80s proabaly didn't really fit in. I wasn't a big fan of the boyd, or street rod look. But as a lot of the members have said. Just make it the way you like it. Then just{ DRIVE THE SNOT OUT OF IT !!! };) Ron....

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Lil32, loudbang and jnaki like this.
  14. pitman

pitman

The carb change sounds right, keep us posted, good to learn what works out.

loudbang likes this.
  15. fuzzface

fuzzface

It's your car now. Do what the bleep you want with it. Why worry what others will think, BLAZE YOUR OWN TRAIL!

loudbang likes this.
  16. KKrod

KKrod

I like it like it is. My 2 cents. It is cool.

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

A set Torque Thrusts and aforementioned 48 Chevy tail lights would be about all I'd change. The Bell style wheel should look nice in there. As to the transmission, OD would be nice on longer trips, but the lower number gears should help a lot for now. Would probably also do under the car exhaust, be quieter on long trips.

loudbang and dan31 like this.
  18. bchctybob

bchctybob

At 77, you've been around hot rods long enough you must have a style you gravitate to. Whether it's '40s, '50s or '60s your car can be back dated but some eras will require more changes than others. Pick the era you like best, do some homework in old magazines and make the changes you want as you gather new parts. The changes you listed seem to be just utility issues except for the headlights. The overdrive trans will be better (more fun) with the current 4.11s than the 3.42s. The Corvette 2 1/2" ram's horns work great, look good and they will let you run a full hood so why not? Have you priced a Bop Top? Living in sunny California these days it may qualify as a necessity!
    I'm with the others who have said the billet tail lights, steering wheel, etc. need to go to lose the '70s-'80s look.
    The wheel and tire choice is very important as well, it pretty much defines the style at first glance.
    That's a really nice car no matter what you decide to do with it.

loudbang likes this.
  19. goldmountain

goldmountain

Upon reviewing the situation, yes, change it. It's a 40 year old build. My initial response was centered upon seeing the first picture with that 5 piece hood. I'm presently making a similar hood at the moment and seeing one that good brings me to my knees. Looked up the Rod Action magazine and while the look is dated, that car is in great shape.

20. X-cpe

X-cpe

If you don't make your changes what are the commenters going to have to say when the next owner posts about the car?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  21. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I like it just as it is! But, would consider the overdrive transmission.

Bones

22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

To save the hood sides and not have to match paint, I would build, or have someone build a custom set of headers, and curl the exhaust system back under the car. Just my thoughts.

23. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I am with Marty thoughts.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

Great car and what a nice head start you have on making it yours.Not buying the I can't change anything because of the paint color.YOU need a GREAT or better painter. Have them shoot some spray outs(samples) with different pearls till you get it right..Just my 2 cent's.

25. I would detune that car so fast it would make most peoples head spin. There would be a huge pile going to the first swapmeet. Hotrodders hotrod a car. Streetrodders would leave it alone. I never cared for a lot of things on that car but to each their own. It has serious potential to be a really neat hotrod but you have to have some brass balls to piss of the naysayers. I find no old Ford so off limits not to make it my own though. Do what makes you happy. When your dead or sell it the next guy can do what he wants to it. It's just a car no matter who owned it.

F&J likes this.
  26. Artworx

Artworx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really, really appreciate all your input. You have validated many of my future ideas for the car.
    1. I already ordered a bell-like wheel. That was a must for me. I bought it from Joe's Racing. I need a dished style because of the columns angle.
    2. Got a quote for swapping the gears in the rear. Oh, its a 3:21, not what I said.
    3. Got a quote for a 200r in place of the K-B 350...including a 1400 stall converter. When the engine's cold the converter is , what shall we say...interesting. Crawl is not close. Leap is. And the column's position makes two footing the brakes impossible.
    4. I really want a Boptop but the 3000 + cost will keep it down on the priorities.
    5. I took it out yesterday as the sun was out and the fog burned off. I really love driving it. I had a 29 roadster and driving it kept me sane for a long time. No radio or phone to distract. The experience here is just like that except its a little more comfortable.
    6. Any ideas on moving the @@*&&&! shifter to the right about four inches. My leg can't handle it on a longer drive. Has any one ever made a shifter with a bend in it? Standard short 14" Lokar shifter.
    Thanx guys, Jer (wish you lived closer)

loudbang likes this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Do what I did on mine, takes a little work but your leg and butt will thank you.
    If the look of a Hurst shifter suits you these are still available as far as I know, not cheap but a problem solver, I think this is the one I used (see first link below), it was offset about one inch too much so I sectioned it, they make others also.
    You may need to replace the Lokar shifter if you change transmissions, consider a Hurst Auto Stick shifter, I think they have a bolt on handle like the four speed shifters use, it may be easier to modify.

20181209_235710.jpg
    https://www.hurstshiftersonline.com...ifter-3916790-Mopar-B-Body-W-Console-p274.htm

Google image search:
    https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...1739...0.0..0.0.0.......0.MbE-Chof7bI#imgrc=_

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

:eek:

Another proud Wescott owner here, not nearly as "historical" as yours though.

20181209_235305.jpg

Wescott body number one resided across the street from my pals' mothers house, a full fendered roadster, nobody knew (or cared) that it was fiberglass.