Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Whats your sentimental shop item?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Utahvette, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bit of a story here...My Big Job I call it ended after 27 years (Plant closure due to Merger). Company corralled all tooling (tons) and all other inventory to one of the buildings. This is some of the pics of stuff I got through an special company offering to employees. One of the squeeze guns I grabbed I later saw Huey and Brian on it. I worked with these fellows. Huey gave me his Snap-On Tool chest when he left/retired at closing. (He worked on QEII in Scotland prior to Aviation) He passed away 6 months after leaving the plant. I remember Huey...great guy he was.

IMG_1018.JPG

That big 2" morse taper drill. It was scrap. Look at the tang at the taper end...twisted and broken off. That must have a story to tell. I like to show it to people when they mess up a hole drilling. I hold it up and say this will fix it joking. Usually brings a chuckle even though bad holes are no laughing matter.

This stuff to me brings back memories...Was a ton of Aviation history in the plant National Steel Car, Victory Aircraft, Avro, de Havilland, Douglas and McDonnell Douglas. 1938-2005 planes planes planes.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    Rich B. likes this.
  2. My Grandpa's very early 1/4" drive Plomb ratchet.

Stogy likes this.
  3. this old tool box is probably the most sentimental thing in my shop. i bought it about 30 years ago off the snap on truck for $500 when my take home pay was $143 a week. it had a brand new paint job and looked like new, i said i wasn't going to put stickers on it! on the side is a bunch of US national decals, my Dad and i went to that race every year for a long time, so every time i see those they bring back good memories.
    photo 2 (1).jpg photo 1.jpg

Rich B. and Stogy like this.
  4. TLDLTD

TLDLTD

I have many sentimental items from my father and grandfather but I display my late uncles David Bradley chainsaw above my workbench in my shop. OT but period correct....
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446418451.084189.jpg

Speedys Garage, Stogy and MOTOV8N like this.
  5. 35cab

35cab

These two signs my Dad made for me around 10 years ago, he has Parkinsons' disease now and his hands shake, really cruel thing to happen to a sign-writer.
    My most precious items, can't imagine the garage without them. columbia.jpg thickstun.jpg

6. This is the only thing I kept from my riding day's.
    Some of the best times of my life.

[​IMG]

7. Adran

Adran

The rinkydink Craftsman tool chest my high school auto shop teacher gave me. Not exactly vintage stuff (80s, 90s probably), but it brings back nice memories.

My great grandpa's old shop out in Kentucky has a WONDERFUL huge vise in need of repair that I'd love to get my hands on, but I never actually got to meet the guy before he passed. Shame, too, he was a true gearhead from the stories I hear and the equipment you can see still laying around his shop (which is now mostly filled with old clothes, in typical Midwestern tradition.)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    Stogy likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I feel your pain Stogy, exact same thing happened to me, 29&1/2 years same shop.
    I broke tangs off a number of big drills as a machinist, and repaired numerous drills bigger than that one when I ran the toolroom.

Stogy likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

too many to select just one. But today I was thinking about this as I got my grandpa's breaker bar out of my dad's tool box, and used it to turn the engine in my old Chevy.

theburningbush and Stogy like this.
  10. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

I have a few tools that belonged to my dad, my brother, and my father in law, out in my shop. They have all three passed away now, so I enjoy being able to pull these tools out of the tool box and use them from time to time.

badgascoupe and Stogy like this.
  11. oj

oj

There is something special about Plomb, I've been gathering them up for quite a while. In every case they are much better than SnapOn, they have a 'feel' to them and a certain look. They are very noble tools.

12. wicarnut

wicarnut

A Craftsman beam torque wrench and 1/2 drive socket set, misc wrenches, parents Christmas gifts, 60's, first new Bridgeport mill, bought in 76, w/ other items kept for my hobby shop, when I started my business, Dad's toolbox and tools, taken to race tracks from 48 till his passing, 87. Still have his Midget racer under restoration, built 46/47 first run 48, Pics in my albums, I drove this car at start of my racing adventure 70-74, raced thru 91, another great memory, I'm a very lucky man, all of my life is a good memory, only a few bumps in the road, life is good, still playing w/ cars.

alanp561 and Stogy like this.
  13. Utahvette

Utahvette

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

When I was a young boy, my Dad asked me to clean out the area under the fan on a Michigan 75A loader, I found a 9/16 long Mac wrench . My Dad said keep it, it’s yours. That was the start to my massive tool collection that I have today. I also have a ball peen hammer with my Grandfathers initials welded onto it. Then my son now has the Craftmans tool boxes, 10 drawer upper and roll around chest, that his mother gave me on our first Christmas, 46 years ago. Those are some of my sentimental things.

Bones

alanp561 likes this.
  15. Gman0046

Gman0046

My Grandpa was a carpenter and I have a hand made wooden tool carrier he made back in the early 1900s. I keep my small treasures I don't want to lose in it. I remember him telling me that when he was an apprentice he used to have to take his bosses horse home on the weekends and clean him.

When I was a teenager we found an old mechanical Jack upstairs above Grandpas garage. The handle was about 7 feet long. We used to joke it must have been used on stage coaches. I can't tell you how many times we used that old jack on our old cars. I've never seen anything like it anywhere. Wish I still had it. It disappeared sometime after I enlisted in the USAF. Somebody probably borrowed it and never returned it.

Gary

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  16. Luke stone

Luke stone

My grandpas tool box for me it's got dents holes and the hinge on the top is broken and none of the tools are much use but I can't bring myself to throw it away. It did come in handy the other night though when I needed a 1/4 spanner to bleed the brakes on my willys and I have mostly metric tools as everything here in the uk is metric now and the imperial spanners I have weren't small enough . I found myself knelt under fender thanking him for it being in there
    Luke

17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many of my tools and equipment are gifts from my wife. Almost every birthday and Christmas...

18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Athol!

19. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

A Sign From My Friends Shop Who Was Very Well Defined... DSCN1356.JPG

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Who you calling an "Athol"?:eek:

lothiandon1940 and Truck64 like this.
  21. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Where do I start....

MMM1693 likes this.
  22. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

You do know there is an Athol Idaho don't you?

LOU WELLS likes this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Starrett home base is in Athol Mass.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  24. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

D926EA44-9867-4E6D-926C-1C18347E8355.jpeg A Aztec clock my dad found when he was a kid in the town dump.

LOU WELLS, Hollywood-East and Truck64 like this.
  25. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I bet there is an Athol in Idaho though.

lothiandon1940 and LOU WELLS like this.
  26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My dads,uncles and grandfathers tools and a new in the box AC oil filter and pcv valve a friend gave me that has now passed away that will always sit in the same spot.

27. This picture of my mom, in animal print , during WW2 . Probably where I got my love of doing sheet metal work .
    7F72FC1F-EAF0-4C7F-9733-70E326B7D7E4.jpeg

28. Mine would be my old beach tool box that was given to me by my brother when I got into the trade and it was given to him by my cousin when he got into the trade, more stickers then steel on this one!
    I have it mounted in my service van.

Also have a bunch of 1/2” impact Canadian snap-on Sockets my uncle gave me when I started

8FD95332-0EE2-4CCC-BD84-CA46AB802406.jpeg FD36E0B2-1A06-43C5-A3E0-EE4B5FB5B059.jpeg 259851EF-2633-4447-882D-CACA6E451221.jpeg 7DBAD4F0-01AF-4733-A668-BD4CBFB1857B.jpeg

wackdaddy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Mom & I lived there with my grandparents in 1944-1946 - Dad was in the Army in Europe. My parents retired there in 1982. My Dad used to say: "It is ATH - OL, please don't lisp".

LOU WELLS likes this.
  30. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Grandfather's old 1/2 inch drill. I didn't have to come up with a name for it (Thor) as it was already a part of the casting. No variable speed on this one, it's either on or off. If the bit snags, it's not going to stall but rather twist your wrists and arms into painful positions.

20181208_105203_resized.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018