Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Vintage plaid seat covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, Dec 7, 2018.

1. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I’m trying to find some blue plaid aftermarket seat covers for a split bench in a 41 Plymouth coupe. Does anyone still make those or sell old stock?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Keeping my eye on this. I want green plaid for my '50 Merc!

lothiandon1940 and unclescooby like this.
  3. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. Have you checked with SMS Auto Fabrics in Oregon?

Haha DDDenny and I had the same idea at the same time!

A quick search of their website doesn’t show anything, but give them a call. They sent me samples for my Dart wagon, and I had them make a headliner for it.

They are definitely an old school company, and do most of their business by phone.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I found a red set on eBay. I want blue. It’s not factory material. It’s the aftermarket JC Whitney style plaid seat cover. I’d think someone still makes them but I could be wrong, like I was about the Earth being an isosceles triangle

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. Come on man, everybody with half a brain knows the earth is flat.

unclescooby and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Seems I remember a while back I suggested plaid interior to someone on here wanting interior ideas and seems I got a lot of eww, yuck, I would never do that etc.etc.:rolleyes: but later its a great idea, seems I have ran into that situation on a few different topics over the years, Guess it takes someone else cooler than me to want to do it before its a good idea:p

On a different note this reminds me of one time several years ago me and the wife went and picked out new linoleum flooring for the kitchen that was white with blue dots in the design, we left the house open and they came and installed it while we were at work one day, we came home and they had ordered the wrong stuff, this had red dots...luckily I liked it better, so I never said a word:D However this may not work in an interior matching situation???

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    blowby and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The upholstery shop I worked at 20 years ago had a couple rolls of that stuff,went back a few years ago to see if they were still there but had gotten thrown in the trash. I never thought anything about that material the 10 or so years I worked there and I would like to have that material on my next build.

10. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Buy your own, and have an Upholstery Shop make them up.

Back Seat.JPG DSCN0428.JPG

11. sololobo

sololobo

I have some green ones hopefully for Cactus! They are new/old stock I purchased when a upholstery shop here closed. Heavy vinyl with stout plaid material, way cool.

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Made my seat out of plywood and couch foam. Found an old blanket to cover it with temporarily. But temporarily is turning into permanently. Dog don't care. 0203180901a.jpg

unclescooby and jazz1 like this.
  13. SMS is great for some of the old patterns. Lebarron Bonney has some good stuff too.

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Had this set on my 38 for a while... 100_4002.JPG

15. Aren't these the plaid covers that create a big ol' static electricity shock, when you slide across them? I don't have fond memories of them. Very strange, what comes into style, over several years.