Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 12-7-1941

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    There she is.
    Lest we forget..

The time that has past from that day to now is within 2 1/2 years of the same time span that South Carolina fired on Sumpter to that Day of Infamy.
    Let that sink in.....

I have studied that War and that day all of my life. When I could read well enough, my first library book was Walter Lord's Day of Infamy.

Although I have studied the Second World War and through my life I have seen it go from recent to distant history, I had never really felt it. That is until my Great Aunt Deanie was killed 2 years ago.

My Great Aunt Deanie was killed in a car accident. She along with her friend were killed when a escaped convict fleeing police in a stolen pickup truck hit their car as she was going to a church function. She was 92.

Her death was sudden and tragic. At the funeral is when WWII really hit me for the first time. Deanie's first husband was my Great Uncle. My Grandfather's brother who was killed in a tank in the first week of February 1945. Although she remarried, she never had children by her second marriage. Her only child was my cousin Eddie.

At the funeral Eddie embraced me. He told me how he see's my grandfather when he looks at me. Deanie and her son Eddie and his children are family but they are distant. The reason they are distant is due to that miserable war. There's a separation a split in my family because of it. There were photo's of my Great Aunt and Great Uncle. Photos of youth, photo's of love. Youth and love lost along the Meuse River and the Mining Camp of Margaret Alabama when a young widow has to raise a child and face the world....alone.

It hit me when I think of all those boys some girls too..... lost. What may have been?

It changed every thing. WWII maybe more than anything contibuted to Traditional Hot Rodding.
    Today, lets remember the cost

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Growing up in the 1960's I remember the Civil War Centennial, WWII wasn't history at that time, everyone's dad was in it. I'll always regret not asking Dad more questions about life on a B-17 base. God Bless them all.

Bob

3. To our family, our veterans, and our heroes. My family.... Civil war, WW1, and WW2. Family names: Coe, Garrison, and Bell. 0001photo.jpeg FB_IMG_1432663314970.jpeg Garrison%20(4).jpeg FB_IMG_1432663702556.jpeg Garrison%20(82).jpeg Garrison%20(126).jpeg received_903334916344531.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31hotrodguy, OG lil E, KKrod and 13 others like this.
  4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Thank God for the Greatest Generation.
    They literally saved the world and our way of life,
    expecting nothing in return.
    I hope this history is still being taught.

5. 1544179213171747550827.jpg
    Thanks to all who served. Grandpa was not enlisted in '41, but like so many others, joined to fight for our freedom.

6. It was all brought back this week with the passing of George H W Bush. My Dad would have been the same age, but I lost him seven years ago. Also a Navy veteran, purple heart, took part in the liberation of the Philippines. The one thing I think of when remembering my Dad's stories was all of the friends he lost during the war. All of them far to young to die, all of them leaving parents to grieve their death.

Mom and Dad at the WW II memorial in Washington DC.

Attached Files:

• dc.jpg
      dc.jpg
      File size:
      32 KB
      Views:
  7. Amen.

8. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will never forget. --- My oldest brother served as a crew member on B17s in the Pacific during WW2. He passed away in 2005. He will always be my hero.
    Jim

31hotrodguy, OG lil E, slim38 and 8 others like this.
  9. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Sadly it's not being taught in schools today and I don't think it will be even given a mention in classes today.

10. X-cpe

X-cpe

My dad is a Pearl Harbor survivor. He's 98 now. Just a 21 year old kid at the time. (The age group of my students.)The national survivors organization folded a few years ago. Dad is the last man standing from his chapter. Bush 41 was a 20 year old Lieutenant. The level of responsibility these young men and women accepted and handled as the "normal" of their lives is truly amazing.

11. There are only 5 living survivors from the USS Arizona and none of them are able to attend the service at Pearl Harbor this year due to declining health.

Lou Conter, Don Stratton, Ken Potts, Lonnie Cook and Lauren Bruner.

Lou Conter’s who is 97 is disappointed he’ll miss this year’s event, but he plans to be back next year.

He wants the focus to remain on the those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

“The ones that should be honored are the 1,177 shipmates on the Arizona, and the 2,403 from the military services who were killed that day,” he said.

HRP

12. This thread was intended as a tribute to honor the men & women that lost their lives during that horrific attack.

As the 97 year old survivor of the USS Arizona said, “The ones that should be honored are the 1,177 shipmates on the Arizona, and the 2,403 from the military services who were killed that day.”

HRP

slayer, slim38, Deuces and 8 others like this.
  13. Very well quoted HRP.

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. My dad was a WWII survivor. He survived Guadalcanal and came home with a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart. He told me some stories but I wish I had asked more before he passed in 2001. The greatness of our country is because of the sacrifices they made and I for one will be eternally grateful.

31hotrodguy, j hansen, slim38 and 8 others like this.
  15. Fat47

Fat47

My father-in-law, who passed two years ago, was a marine in the pacific campaign, spending 32 months in the advance from Island to Island. Lost all of his gun crew during the invasion of Iwo Jima and was wounded there himself. My wife and I went to several of his regiment reunions in the 90's. Amazing group of men and we owe them a debt of graditude that will never be enough. What is sad is that todays younger generation doesn't seem to have a clue as to the importance of their sacrifice nor the life it has given them.

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

359D7EB5-4188-4C4D-A318-DD3959D7200A.jpeg My Dad was a Navy vet, his ship was the USS Enterprise, the most decorated ship in history. The only carrier to make it through the war of the original carriers. At one time it was the only carrier between the US and japan. Like most WW11 vets, my Dad didn’t talk much about the war when I was a kid, but did tell me about some things as a man.
    The USS Enterprise started having reunions shortly after the war, but my Dad was too busy to attend early on, then started attending later in life. When he was approaching 80, I took him and my mother to Illinois to attend one. Figured it would be a long weekend with all those old guys. They don’t call them the “Greatest Generation “ for nothing guys! After putting my folks to bed, went to the bar for a toddy, you would have though I was in a college town bar! Walked in introduced myself, had a few drinks, told the guys I’d driven all day and was tired and was heading to bed.... can’t print the names I was called.. these guys weren’t even in second gear yet!
    Got to meet some of the most wonderful guys in the world! Real Heros! Real! While there was talk of the war, most talk was about the men and their lives after the war and what was going on with them now and in the future.
    I imedately joined the USS Enterprise Association and continued to take my Dad
    and Mom to every reunion looking forward to each to get to see these guys. My family hosted a National Reunion in Tulsa one year.
    But with the good comes the bad, every year it got smaller, we read about these guys deaths. I attended some of their funerals... then I attended my Dads..six years ago, today. We buried my Dad on Dec, 7, 2012.
    There are no more reunions, the last being in New York City, 2012,where they held the first one.
    Some of the proudest days of my life were spend with these guys, including my Dad, I miss them.
    Hats off to the “ Greatest Generation “ we owe our freedom to them! Never forget!

Bones

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    31hotrodguy, OG lil E, KKrod and 14 others like this.
  17. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

18. My Father-in-law was stationed at Pearl Harbor at the end of the war (not old enough in '41) and told stories of unloading Truman's car from the ships. He was a cool guy, we all miss him.

19. [​IMG]

Same sticker on my '37 Cadillac

OG lil E, Deuces, F-ONE and 2 others like this.
  20. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

I was at my dentists office yesterday and somehow got on the subject of history,specifically WWII. I mentioned I’m afraid that young people are growing up without being taught the significance of WWII in our current PC environment. He stated his eighth grader spent 3 days in class discussing the Trail of Tears journey and ONE DAY discussing WWII. Not study but discussion! What can they learn in one day???

21. My grandfather signed up when the USS West Virginia was sunk at Pearl Harbor. Why ? Because 17 years old and West Virginian. :)

The upper Appalachian region .... men volunteered to protect their way of life. It's amazing how that definition always evolved. His grandfather's reasons were Confederate raids into Free Virginia later becoming WV. Stealing our livestock, horses and provisions.

My grandfather came back from the great war and jumped into "normal" ... mining coal for 30 years, and raising a family ... to send his only son to Asia when it was his turn to serve.

The greatest generation did what they had to. God bless them.

20180302_141537.jpg 20181207_123034.jpg

Great great grandfather, Samuel Ellison, Army of the Northern Potomac.

20180302_172545.jpg

Grandfather James Vernon Campbell, WWII Pacific campaigner.

20180301_171019.jpg

30 years of fun ... from his 1965 signup ... my Dad.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  22. My father was wounded during the initial attack at Pearl Harbor. This was when they discovered his real name and age, he was 16 and had two years service already completed and discharged. Less than one year later he re-enlisted again and was again wounded in the European theater and discharged. After two further enlistments, all under false names he was killed in Vietnam in 1964 after four years of service. Four of my uncles all served in WWII from Island Hopping to the Battle of the Bulge. Great uncles served during WWI, were gassed, and Spanish American War. Further back was Civil War, Revolutionary war and my ancestors can be traced all the way to Scotland's fight for independence and further back. They were all great for what they did.

OG lil E, KKrod, j hansen and 8 others like this.
  23. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

saw this on facebook today, but thought its pretty cool, post said it was photo shopped, but I still think its cool

pearl.jpg

LBCD, OG lil E, F-ONE and 5 others like this.
  24. My father was in the Army from 9/42 to 12/45, EAME Theatre, last combat at Bastogne.

Check this article, I met Lt. Sterling's brother probably about 2000 at a cruise. He was sitting off to the side, the muscle cars were getting all the attention. Always loved Buicks especially pre war ones. While I was reading the story board Mr. Sterling asked me to look in the trunk. I saw the windshield glass and was stunned, that is when "things got real" so to speak.

Glad to see the car is still in the family.
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...uick-survived-pearl-harbor-michigan/94715434/

25. By the way, anybody else struck by the lack of mention of this date in the newspapers and TV so far today? I would hope there is some mention this evening but I'm not holding my breath.

OG lil E, slayer, F-ONE and 3 others like this.
  26. williebill

williebill

All I'm seeing is war movies on TCM today. That's what my TV has been on since 9 am.
    Thanks to all of you who've posted. Some of these stories stop me in my tracks.
    My dad was 32 when Pearl Harbor was attacked, couldn't pass the physical due to broken back as a kid, but then worked at Y-12 in Oak Ridge during the war, and after, retiring in 1973.
    Thanks again to all for sharing, and to Ryan for leaving this up.

27. oldsman41

oldsman41

All gave some some gave all. If you love your freedom thank a vet. Usmc 65-70 Vietnam 67 68. To all that served in the Great War thank you.

28. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! They produced the zero. :mad:

29. OG lil E, KKrod, j hansen and 6 others like this.
  30. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Remember that Pearl Harbor was the planned first step toward the US west coast.... then the giant woke up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.