Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical flathead ford distributors setting info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 0nedon, Dec 7, 2018.

1. 0nedon

0nedon

I've been told the only accurate way to set the dist. on a flathead is with a dist. machine. I have found an old "sun 500" dist. machine. Would it be the correct one? I've heard ford had their own?? Thanks for any input.

2. brake1000

brake1000
    from ID

Bubba's ignition has lots of info on how to get up a Flathead dist.

3. flatjack

flatjack

Yes it would be correct. You also need the fixture for mounting the flathead distributor. They are available on that auction sit.

4. oj

oj

Not all Sun machines will accept the fixture, it'll have to have a dowel locating hole in the left clamping arm, its about 1/4" in diameter.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Uh...so far we don't know year/type flathead distributor!
    Of the many models, there are two basic systems for setting front mounted direct drive distributors. Late sideways drive ones can be handled wit a timing light. Dwell can, if necessary, be handled with degree wheel and test light, or with dwell meter and engine running...
    Careful setup with feeler gauge also still works quite adequately!

Moriarity likes this.
  6. 0nedon

0nedon

Sorry- I was meaning the early flatheads, front mount: I have 1937- 1940. Thanks for the info. I will look befor I buy it and make sure it has the notch in the left arm. What auction site has the adaptor if it is not with it?

7. I have been doing these since the late '50s and never needed a "machine".......careful installation of points and attention to details......engines always start with a touch of the button and run smooth and quiet.....seems good enough for a street driven rod.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Somewhere on here I posted a ruler timing method for '32-41 distributors that i can trace back to a Ford patent.
    Same general idea as the wartime ruler timing method that eventually appeared in some Ford manuals as a field expedient method. Putting the timing scale on its center mark is a real close to spec method requiring nothing special.

Moriarity likes this.
  9. Mac VP

Mac VP

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There is an equivalent method for '32-41 using a ruler. I think I put it on here a while back. I took it from a Ford patent drawing, so excellent provenance!

Moriarity likes this.
  11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'll try to get this in words...somewhat difficult, as I need to be at home with a distributor in hand and a fixture to check...but try this. If you end up with timing lines on center of scale I got it all right. I'm going to get a friend to photograph this for easier comprehension.

First look over the timing method that Mac VP posted...this works the same way, but all the dimensions/locations are changed to work with 1932-1941 distributors.

1. look at distributor from back. Hold it upright. Note that one side of the shaft beside the drive lug is slightly wider than the other...the tab is offset! Mark wide side so you don't SCREW UP, as the difference is quite small.
    2. Turn the shaft so lug is at about 45 degrees, on a line from about ten to four o'clock. Wide side to the right, making it sort of above the narrow.
    3. get a Ruler, as in the '42 method, lay it across the narrow side with its edge firmly against the drive lug on the narrow side. Turn ruler and shaft together until the side of the ruler that is against the lug exactly bisects the upper bolt hole...upper hole of the two holes on passenger side of the distributor body. That corresponds to the firing point.
    Move timing screw to somewhat retarded position, rotate it towards centerline until left point (driver's side) barely opens, tighten it down. There are both mechanical and electrical ways to detect opening...here, jut put a bit of clean copy paper into points before moving things and when it falls out, ok!
    Now...with all three hands go through it again; it's simple, but the difficulty lies in doing it all without ruler slipping, tab rotating, or screwing up while moving the timing...

There were many 1930's timing devices that made this all simple by providing a flat plate with three studs to locate distributor and a slot to locate the shaft. Also, of course, the Ford timing fixture made it all easy...
    But this way at least costs about nothing. Affixing a ruler to a Ford distributor drive adapter (cheap at C&G Ford or similar resto places) would eliminate the need to hold everything together, and a bolt and nut with bolt carefully ground out 50% would nicely simplify the other end of ruler locating. I have some ideas I have crudely posted on here a couple of times that can be used to make it all easier, '32-41 or '42-48.

I think I know someone who can come over and shoot pics and splice them on here...HAMB actually bought me an electric camera to post stuff, but I haven't reached any understanding with the damn thing.

Oh...see if your timing scale is at center after doing the above. Either you slipped on your ruler grip, or I screwed up trying to describe this without a distributor in hand.

Moriarity likes this.