Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 56 T bird wheels.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WTF really, Dec 6, 2018.

1. WTF really

WTF really

Hi guys I need help like always lol. I want to surprise my dad with some new wheels for his 56 T bird. I found these and want to make sure the back spacing is ok. His car is bone stock. I can't go take a wheel off because he will definitely want to know why. Thanks again for all the help y'all always give me. Screenshot_20181206-170545_Chrome.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

can you measure the backspace on the spare tire wheel??

dana barlow likes this.
  3. WTF really

WTF really

I read the back space should be .067 but I don't know what that means the one I'm looking to order said 3.5 I think

4. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I believe stock was 3.25. If it has skirts, you have to be careful with the spinner tips hitting the edge of the inner lower lip on hard corners. I have had to bend the lip on two of my Hobby members cars to correct the problem. Might be worth a call to Casco TBird and ask them what would be correct back space. They are very helpful, 800.374.0915

5. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

If stock are 3 1/4" and these are 3 1/2" bs, that's better for the skirt clearance.

6. If no one checks in - I can maybe remember to go by Don's to measure the factory one I sold him.....

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. WTF really

WTF really

So 3.5 means it would sit deeper in the fender well?

8. WTF really

WTF really

Great information thank you

9. WTF really

WTF really

Great thank you.

10. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

True, but you have to be careful about inside clearance also depending on the tire you use.

11. WTF really

WTF really

Everything I've found says 205 75 R15 belongs on it.

12. WTF really

WTF really

This is all I've been able to find just wasn't sure anything about back space I don't know how that works. Screenshot_20181206-201956_Chrome.jpg

13. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those appear to be the typical wire wheel sold for 55-56 birds. I’ve got what appears to be an identical set in storage. The 3.5 backspace clears the upper front ball joint, and in back will be fine. Skirts in rear were no problem. Currently I’m running 15x7’s, 3.5” backspace in front and 4” backspace in back. 225 & 235 60 tires, no skirts. I think you’ll be fine with the stock size replacement tire, bias or radial, or maybe one size up. PM me if you need more detail.

14. Thats a really thoughtfull gift !
    The clearance on Birds using skirts with those wires is super tite.

Part of the problem is those 205 tires. While they are the best radials for the ride they are shorter and slightly wider than the original bias tires.

If your Dads car was smacked or the rear is slightly out of alignment they will rub either the rubber or scrape the spinner caps on turns. Ive been involved in a bunch of these installs and its been everything from serious massaging of both quarter panels to aligning the rear axle differently to just bolt on and go.

Every car is different.

Once you mount tires on the rims they are not returnable.

Yeah I know there are lots of Birds that have them but I would highly recommend acquiring a pair and trying them on the rear for clearance concerns.

Maybe someone in the local T Bird club could be of help with a trial set.

Nice present. Good luck

Oldmics

WTF really likes this.
  15. 'Offset' is the distance from centerline of the wheel to the mounting face. On a 5" wheel, if the offset was zero the backspace would be 2.5", or 1/2 of 5". So .62" added to 2.5" gives 3.12", or about 3 1/8" backspace. But it depends on how all this is measured; a 5" wide wheel isn't actually 5" wide. The 5 inch measurement is tire mounting face-to-tire mounting face and doesn't include the wheel lip. Figure in the lip when measuring backspace, and 3.5" sounds right.

16. WTF really

WTF really

In storage . Thank you that makes me feel much better.

17. WTF really

WTF really

Great thanks.

18. WTF really

WTF really

Now you have me worried again. I want to surprise him so touching it without him knowing just will not happen lol

19. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I changed the style of the wheels. I ran them for 15 years, they were on the car when I bought it. They and the skirts are on it in my avatar. Not in storage because of a problem.

Oldmic’s comment about the car itself is correct, mine was 1/2 off center on the frame in the rear. Wasn’t a problem with the wires, but at 7” and 235 it was.

WTF really likes this.
  20. WTF really

WTF really

That's great news thank you. I love this H.A.M.B. family

21. Mid-'50s Fords of all models have terribly tight rear wheelhouses. They were designed for 80 or 85 aspect ratio tires, the modern lower-profile ones can be problematic. Keep in mind that actual tire size for a 'given' size can vary quite a bit between manufacturers and even within one manufacturers product line. Best bet is do some research and select a tire with the narrowest section width in that size for max clearance.

I'll also note that the modern 'equivalent' tires are not the same actual size as the OEM ones were. They have the same or greater load-carrying capability, but will be smaller diameter and wider.

WTF really likes this.
  22. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One more thing, might or might not be accurate on those wheels. The “t bird style wheel” has been used to refer to the spoke placement on the rim. The ones I have can’t be run tubeless unless some new solution has been developed in the last 20 years.

WTF really likes this.
  23. shortypu

shortypu

My father in law has a 55 bird with those same exact wheels and they fit perfect.I don't no the backspacing but him and his buddies ordered several sets and they fit fine with several different size tires. IMG_1733.JPG

WTF really likes this.
  24. Without skirts you can get some beefy rubber under the car. Its the skirts that confine the wheel housing.

850 X 14 s M&H under my 56 DSCF0059[1].JPG DSCF0060[1].JPG

Oldmics

25. WTF really

WTF really

Yes he does have skirts

26. WTF really

WTF really

27. Remembering to respect my elders....we first had it layed down with a reading of what looked like 3 5/8 - so we flipped it over....and little confusing as we thought it was more like 3 7/8 and after another suggestion it was back to 3 5/8... 20181207_111635.jpg 20181207_111739.jpg 20181207_111854.jpg

28. WTF really

WTF really

Great thank you very much I really appreciate your help

29. WTF really

WTF really

Well hell. I finally find something dad would like for Christmas. Get the money today. Call and none in stock. Will be after new years. I have the worst luck ever.