Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Aging a new license plate...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sweeney, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Youse guys are just askin for it! The DMV sent armed agents to Boyd's place just to check plates & numbers on street rods and counterfeit Cobras!
    Don't think they aren't readin' the good ol' HAMB for paper and plate violations...

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  2. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I’m old enough to remember black and yellow plates were standard. By the same token, I’m not quite offended but somewhat annoyed to see those plates on a Lexus or even a Prius.

lumpy 63 and Special Ed like this.
  3. Just my .02, find some YOM plates and run them. The number/letter config on those look new also.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Step outa the Hamb now with your hands up!
    Now up against the Hamb and spread 'em.
    I said spread 'em!!!

lumpy 63 and Special Ed like this.
  5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spent most of my life owning cars that were old and that I was often ashamed to drive. Now that I finally reached a point in my life that I can afford nice looking cars, everybody else wants theirs to look crappy - wtf? I'm always out of sync, I guess........:confused:

302GMC, alanp561, Just Gary and 4 others like this.
  6. A light dusting with a sand blaster and some very low gloss clear is my fix.

7. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Park Next To The Beach For Awhile And The Plate And Truck Will Age Together...

e z i likes this.
  8. I just love all of these paranoid responses, mentioning jail, Bubba and all of the horrors that have befallen so many of the miscreants who have committed some of the heinous crimes outlined in many of these threads. I spent the last 10 years of my career working in the Los Angeles County jail system. Not once, did I ask, "Whaddya in for?" and the guy replied, "Aging license plates".

37hotrod, LOU WELLS, 302GMC and 6 others like this.
  9. XXL__

XXL__

No, their response would be "I refused to pay a state mandated fine." I was charged a fine by the CA DMV for "unmatched insurance." This "unmatched" was because THEY typed the truck VIN incorrectly in THEIR system. After fighting with them, with the help of my then 40-year veteran state representative, escalating all the way to Sac, providing certified copies of my title, my full insurance policy, a letter from my insurance company showing the VIN had been in their system for almost 20 years, a copy of the PREVIOUS state's title from before I moved to CA, and a copy of THEIR CHP office VIN inspection report fro when the truck first arrived in the state. Didn't matter. Fine was never going to come off their system... and until I paid it, I couldn't get tags OR even go PNO (even if I had wanted to... in other words, this bogus charge would become a basis for future fines once I got the bogus fi e resolved, for being out of registration). Yes, bureaucracies can be absurd. California is most definitely no exception. Violating state laws, even "silly" ones, can bite you real hard.

gimpyshotrods and Special Ed like this.
  10. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I don’t get the fascination with “fake” aging, oldness,patina,weathered,used,scuffed,tarnished,scratched,worn,abused,etc,etc.:confused::eek:o_O
    It’s frickin FAKE!! :mad:

11. upload_2018-12-4_17-24-59.jpeg
    Don't answer the phone!

LOU WELLS and 302GMC like this.
  12. And yet, I'll wager that you didn't spend one second in jail or enjoy a visit from Bubba

13. XXL__

XXL__

Nope. I paid the fine.

14. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

When the idea for the Legacy Plates came out I immediately voted for it and paid my money for one, stupidly thinking the only people that would want one would be rodders. Now I see 2018 Porches and every other brand of new cars with one, irks me to no end.

1oldtimer likes this.
  15. BJR

BJR

Make the plate look old, put some Olds or Cad valve covers on it and fake patina paint. Get your self a gold chain around your neck cuz no two ways about it, YOU ARE A POSER.

Cosmo49 and LM14 like this.
  16. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Time and road dirt works the best, take it out and drive it

XXL__ likes this.
  17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, smoked shade tinted ones are available - if you do get stopped would be a easy fix it - plus, some day you might want a shiny finish for them - I have been stopped more than once for not having my plates properly secured to vehicle so, anything is open game for a PD stop

nochop likes this.
  18. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Got pulled over by Santa Rita Sheriff many years ago with several oz’s of contraband under the seat for a mutilated license plate.....

19. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

New fake patina is the best patina...……..

20. Mini Vans, soccer mom wagons, everything under the sun. Down here it's more rare to see a white plate anymore.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As soon as the reflectivity is gone, you can be issued a "fix-it" ticket, requiring that you replace the plate. The same holds true for peeling plates.

It is not simply a matter of being legible.

Most states have laws like this, to head off the California bashers. As with most states, you don't technically own the plate, the state does, and it is revocable.

XXL__ likes this.
  22. Blue and White? How about Blue with Yellow? That's before White with Blue! Then there's the Black with Yellow, then YOM...... Get what's correct for your ride....YOM. Fronting/posing is easy to spot a mile/states away...... Do it once, Do it legally, and have satisfaction.......

23. I really love Alabama

24. Slow nite on the HAMB?

25. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Find a secluded spot on the Salt Flats, leave it and come back in a year.