Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 26T Coupe Of My Youth Gets A Re-do! (build)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by VA HAMB, Dec 6, 2018.

1. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

So the next thing is shocks in the rear. Which this car did not have before. Well the mounts were kind of there but the shocks were not. I tried and tried to find a better way to do these and to be honest with a little more time and patience I could have but like most things on this build, money is almost non existent at times so you do what you gotta do sometimes. I took some scrap frame tubing and made the hangers and turned some bungs for the frame that I welded in. I looked into the HAMB about shocks being straight up and down and some said it would work. I would have rather had them slanted but... Also not sure about the ends of the shocks being turned 90deg from each other but better than nothin' maybe?

IMG_2859.JPG IMG_2862.JPG IMG_2872.JPG

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hate to be critical at a time like this, but when I initially built my car, the rear suspension was much like yours, with the rear bars parallel to each other. Before a year was out, one of the tie rod ends on the front of one bar broke off. I had a lot of discussion with my buddies about this, and finally concluded that every time one rear wheel hit a bump, it would move up putting an unreasonable stress on the joints. I finally ended up pie-cutting the bars and bringing them together so there was a single pivot point on the front of the rear suspension. With the suspension components forming a triangle, you can see how each wheel can move independently without undue stress on the parts. What you have now is the components forming a rectangle that has to flex unnaturally everytime one of the wheels moves.

Guys have been doing this for years and getting by with it by using heavier components, but it also has a deleterious effect on ride and handling. Something to think about, anyway.

Stogy, GuyW, dwollam and 7 others like this.
  3. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

So I'm no genius but even I know that a frame needs support. The old frame did not have any crossover supports other than the trans mount. So I took some more tubing and made this crossover. Nothing elaborate but hopefully it will work and be at least better than it was.

IMG_2854.JPG IMG_2856.JPG IMG_2888 (1).JPG

4. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

So part of me kind of wanted to keep the 65 mustang master cylinder but I decided to go ahead and put the cylinder under the floor to clean the firewall up, plus have better brakes. I think this will be a good decision!

26t.jpeg IMG_2786.JPG IMG_2791.JPG

5. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Thank you very much. I guess I should have posted this build a lot earlier huh? LOL!

6. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

So you can see in this photo the fuel tank in the rear. This is what I had made the tubed frame for. It originally just sat on some plywood and the frame for the wood was connected to the body. This is all welded to the frame to prevent any beating and banging and undue stress to the rear of the body.

This is the tank that was originally in the car. (1957 VW Beatle) Well the tank was bent twisted and just beat all to hell to make room for the old shock mounts and was completely full of rust so out it goes. Luckily the frame I made was just the right size for an Aluminum tank instead!

IMG_1241.JPG
    IMG_0276.JPG

JUNK ROD, Kan Kustom, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  7. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

So here the frame painted. You can see in the one photo where I mounted the small battery. I researched the shit out of it and everyone swears that they work! God I can only hope so. I wanted it light and out of the way. Before it was in a cavity in the trunk that was hooked to the body. A 50 pound hammer beating the shit out of that body one pothole at a time!

IMG_0255 - Copy.JPG IMG_0258.JPG IMG_0294 - Copy.JPG IMG_0350.JPG

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

You are doing a great job of keeping the flavor of the old build while improving the build quality. Too many cars get changed to the point where the original is no longer recognizeable. About a month ago, I went with a friend to pick up his newly acquired deuce coupe and joked that it probably had Mustang tailights. Sure enough, in the boxes of parts were Mustang tailights.

Stogy, HunterYJ, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  9. philo426

philo426

so if I understand correctly,the lower part of the steering box bracket is welded to the frame and the upper part is bolted to the bracket and the sturdy bolts are passing through the upper bracket and you drilled abd tapped the frame to accept the machine bolts thereby making a sturdy safe connection?

dwollam, Ron Funkhouser and loudbang like this.
  10. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Some more History!

60s weekend 024.jpg 2006_Jake.jpeg Capture.JPG

Below is my Mother and I arriving at the Nationals in Columbus, OH 1984

DSC02265.JPG

Below- My Mother 2008
    file1150.jpg file1547.jpg

Below- Me and Jake 2006

gg (3)a.jpg

Below- Me at Colonial Williamsburg Rod Run 1987
    m46s80.jpg

Below- My sister driving at Shenandoah Valley Street Rod Assoc. Rod Run- Waynesboro, VA 1983
    moTion_Waynesboro_RodRun_1983.jpeg Photo009.jpg

Below- 1986 The T with my High School Daily Driver. Which I still have! :) 1970 XR7
    t_xr7_FB.jpeg

Attached Files:

11. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

I think the Mustang tailights are everyone's limit! LOL!

Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  12. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

NOPE! Just welded to the frame. Bad idea? I do not see where bolts are stronger than weld? No?

dwollam, Ron Funkhouser and loudbang like this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

Missing photo

2.jpg

Vic Walter, JUNK ROD, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  14. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Ron Funkhouser and loudbang like this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

It was too large of a file I think. That is usually what happens when they are too large.

Stogy, Ron Funkhouser and VA HAMB like this.
  16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Nice write-up and great car!

loudbang, Ron Funkhouser and VA HAMB like this.
  17. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

So as you can see, my bondo has a body problem! It was close to an inch think in spots. Funny thing is the body was not really bad at all. I did have to re-skin the bottoms of the doors and quarters and cowl just due to them abrazing patches OVER the original steel. They had re-skinned the doors by pop riveting the panel over the door and then just mudding over it. So as I post the repair photos be gentle. Im no expert with this body stuff but I feel like I did ok to respectable. better than it was anyway. I have all but completed the body work at this point but I like to learn so if you do see something way out of sorts. fire away

_MG_3175.JPG IMG_1261.JPG IMG_1262.JPG IMG_1280.JPG IMG_1281.JPG IMG_1282.JPG IMG_1286.JPG IMG_1287.JPG IMG_1288.JPG IMG_1289.JPG IMG_1290.JPG IMG_1298.JPG IMG_1299.JPG IMG_1300.JPG IMG_1430.JPG IMG_1462.JPG

18. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

So I've welded some sheet metal before but never something that i couldn't throw away and start over on so I stared at this door for a week trying to get the nerve to cut it apart. You just have to commit! I couldn't really figure out how to form the sides of the door that was rotted away so I just cut separate pieces and welded them together. I don't have a shrinker or stretcher or that type of fab stuff.

IMG_1549.JPG IMG_1579.JPG IMG_1581.JPG IMG_1583.JPG IMG_1585.JPG

19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

A great story and excellent work.
    Thanks for sharing.

Stogy, Als27T, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  20. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

So one of my next projects was to fix where they had just filled the hood reveal with filler and had brazed a patch over the cowl door. This is also why i went ahead and removed the brake cylinder from the firewall because I knew i was going to have to replace the firewall anyway. I made a new firewall larger and did it as correctly as i could. I think it's much better now. i also cut the cowl patch out and flush welded a new patch in.

IMG_1291.JPG

IMG_1700.JPG IMG_1291.JPG IMG_1700.JPG IMG_2545.JPG IMG_2560.JPG IMG_2675.JPG IMG_2677.JPG

21. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

So now on to the door latches and "dovetails?" Not surre what they're called. They were rotten and beat all to shit. I actally used some rubber from a sanding block and some scrap copper sheet i had and remade the inserts. You can buy them but they didn't look right to me. Looked like they were made to bolt in. I actually had to cut the door sill panel in half to get the pane out so i could cut the dovetails out a remake them. Then i just spot welded them back into place to prevent from melting anything. Then I welded the panels back in. Im sure I'll regret that move. :)

IMG_1511.JPG
    IMG_1512.JPG IMG_1516.JPG IMG_1517.JPG IMG_1519.JPG IMG_1536.JPG

22. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

23. Todd, the T is looking really good! I LOVE that coupe. I'll never forget the first time I saw it, and met you. You had a flat top, and was driving the coupe. You looked like you had just drove out of 1962. But the coolest part is your family history. Your dad and mom, you, and now your sons too. A great family, and history with your HOT RODS. I looking fowards to this summer, and following that cool little coupe around. Keep up the great work. Cousin Ronnie:)..................

Stogy, HunterYJ, AHotRod and 6 others like this.
  24. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All this work and effort...……...and Todd will still own it :rolleyes: …………...wonder if it was all worthwhile :D

loudbang and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  25. Love this!

26. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

Excellent story! Good work on the coupe.

27. loudbang

loudbang

Dam fine work for not having those highfalutin machines available. :)

Stogy and VA HAMB like this.
  28. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Thanks Cousin Ronnie! Love ya!

Stogy, loudbang and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  29. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

30. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Another brazed patch job I had to remove. Not sure if you can see in the photo but I have peeled the patch panel down. IMG_6502.JPG

IMG_6496.JPG