Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Torque tube and stock 3-speed good for ? HP?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dad Was A Racer, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would prefer to retain the originality of the torque tube driveshaft, banjo rear end and a stock configuration 3 speed in my '39 project, but the motor I've built is a rather healthy 276 inch 8BA. Do I need to be worried about the driveline handling this motor?

If the motor's too much, can I keep the stock configuration and rebuild the tranny and/or rearend with upgraded gears and do okay?

2. F&J

F&J

It's no where near the torque of a Cad or Olds, and there are plenty of those on here. If you drive it like a 17 year old with a few beers...well.. ;)

LOU WELLS, RustyDogg and jimmy bruns like this.
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Agreed … you can destroy the trans with a worn out 239 in one or two beers' time. We also see big OHV conversions using the same trans that have been driven for decades with no trouble.

LOU WELLS and RustyDogg like this.
  4. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

No dumping the clutch and it will probably stay happy

5. jimmy bruns

jimmy bruns
    from Chatsworth

You'll be fine that Anchor doesn't put out that much ;)

6. Mac VP

Mac VP

If you were going open driveshaft, I’d have said that the 1951-52 pickup truck 3 speed top loader transmission would be perfect for the extra horsepower. These have the newer gear tooth design for first and reverse gears, which hold up better on first gear takeoff. They also use the loose needle bearings in the cluster gear, which hold the gear tolerance better in my opinion.

With the closed drive transmission, there is always the risk of damaging the first gear teeth with a hard takeoff on the 39-50 type gear set. Just watch your driving on takeoffs. You can use the 1949-50 passenger trans cluster gear if you want to get the loose needle bearing type, but it’s only available as the 28 tooth ratio.

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

you dont have to dump the clutch to destroy one of those transmissions. Accelerating hard will do it.

302GMC likes this.
  8. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

When in doubt, upgrade. I'm going through a similar dilemma. Currently rebuilding the 383 for my Fury and although I just had the 727 freshed up to stock specs last year I'm putting in the Hemi style clutches and replacing the governor. Once in a while I still like to drive like I'm 18 and 4 beers in!

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Baby the clutch and let it develop some momentum before you give it the works and it will be fine. Dump the clutch drag racing starts and peeling out will blow the trans with a stock motor. If the trans is in good shape it will take all the power you have on a steady pull. It's the sudden shocks that do the damage.

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have 8 trouble free years on my 40. I don’t dump the clutch but I do stand on it once I’m going and it is just fine[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If you drive it "normally" you will be fine.
    If you abuse it,you will have problems.
    Decide how you plan to drive it.

12. v8flat44

v8flat44

My 2 cents......had a mild 6 cyl 50 Shoebox and knocked a tooth out of 1st gear...when i was a dumb kid.
    I'm sure your flatty has lots more umph...just say'n. mike

13. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So if I decide to update and go with a bell housing adapter and a T5 transmission and an open drive what all is involved? I know there’s something to do with splitting the wishbones and changing out the pinion on the banjo but is there a guide that will step me through this process?

ETA: I spoke to Hot Rod Works about an axel conversion and will likely make that upgrade, but I know there’s still things I have to address with the suspension and a tranny mount, which I don’t yet know...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a modified 276 Merc with a '39 box (with later gears) and a 4.11 banjo in a '36 3-window. The transmission held up fine, but I found the weak points were the axle shafts. After changing two of those, I accepted a generous offer a guy made me for the car.