Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical In nj which is needed to get a title ? Engine or frame numbers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wrong generation, Dec 4, 2018.

1. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

In new jersey for 1930s cars. Which do they use to title a vehicle? The engine numbers or frame numbers?

2. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

Some one here's gotta know ;)

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  3. I'm sorry, I know this isn't much help.:( But I would check with your states D.M.V. They will have the only answer that really counts. I get a lot of answers from here on the HAMB. But for titles and tags, I always ask my Va. DMV. Good luck.:) Ron.....

4. dan31

dan31

Frame but its based on what i have experienced with njdmv. BUT your results may vary. Nj doesn't check numbers at this time. If you ask 5 people that work there you will get 6 different answers,you probably knew that already. QQ tags are easier to get that street rod tags [and who wants a street rod tag anyway].

56shoebox and Ron Funkhouser like this.

5. John Tumolo

John Tumolo

Most cars you find have had motors and frames changed at some time. Frames are usually rusted and hard to see anyway. Have had good luck with NJ MV. If they give you a hard time try another MV. Mantuajohn

Attached Files:

6. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

Here's the deal. I found out my mother's friend has this car in her garage. It belonged to her late husband. When i inquired about it. She said " o that old thing if you want it you can have it" She doesn't have a title for it. But offered to obtain one for me thru his estate. When she went to get the title at the dmv they told her she needed the vin lol. Hense my question of asking if it was the engine number or frame number. That jersey uses as the vin to title cars from back then.

7. Slopok

Slopok

Bring them both numbers and let them choose which is correct!

8. oldolds

oldolds

It would be nice to know the make and year of this car. If I had a choice I would use the frame number. Some cars had a serial number tag as well. The frame may just have a partial number on it.

9. What make of car is it and what year?

Charlie Stephens

wrong generation likes this.
  10. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

Lol your telling me. Trust me I'd love to know exactly what it is.

11. oldolds

oldolds

Show us a picture or 12. Somebody will tell you what it is. Usually in less than a 1/2 hour.

dan31 likes this.
  12. Slopok

Slopok

It's probably just an old Cord or Duesenberg!;)

13. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

Don't have any pictures and havn't seen it yet. I'm sure once i see it I'll know what it is.

The other day over the weekend that just passed. I was at my parents house. Helping my dad and uncle in my dads garage. I walked in the house to get something. And walked passed my mom and a friend of hers. Who were sitting drinking coffee and talking. My mom's friend just happened to mention to my mom that she was going to junk that old car in her garage. That she's sick of looking at it. Out of curiousity i asked about it. Fully expecting her to tell me it was some run of the mill modern car. When she said she wasn't sure what it was but that she knew it was from the 1930s. At that it peeked my interest. And i told her not to junk it and asked if i could aquire it. To where she said " o that old thing if you want it you can have it" as if id be doing her a huge favor by taking it away. She couldn't understand why id want it lol. Yesterday she sent a text to my mom. Saying she didn't have the title for it. But could get one if she had the vin number. She was confused as to why the vin wasn't on the dash lol. I told my mom they didn't have vins like now back then. and that its eather the frame or engine number and that I'd find out which. In any case trust me i can't wait to find out what is in her garage but alas it'll have to wait until next weekend.

F&J likes this.
  14. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Many years ago when I was in NJ I bought a complete Model-A with an NJ title. DMV issued me a new title. When I started dismantling the car I learned that there was a number stamped on the top of the frame that had been covered by the cowl area of the body. This is the same number that was on my title. So call it what you want - VIN, serial, etc. Of course, there was no way to verify the number without removing the body. On my current 37 Ford the number is on the top of the frame rail in two places. One near the steering box is visible and one on the hump above the rear axle is covered by the body. Same number as is on my 37 NJ title. When I moved to FL the FL DMV verified that the number on top of frame near steering box agreed with title. The moral of the story here is don't weld over or otherwise obliterate these numbers.

15. 5window

5window

Here's a totally novel idea. Https://www.nj.gov/nj/trans/vehicles/. Call the DMV, then TELL us what you have found instead of asking us to do the work for you. That way, you'll have UTD information from the source and you'll look helpful and smarter than the rest of us.

H380 and 62hotcat like this.
  16. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

Here's an idea. Don't assume shit. It just makes you look like an ass. ;)

The dmv was contacted before i posted here asking. Unfortunately the people there are not up to speed on pre 1968 cars. And are convinced all cars sense the dawn of time have a vin on the dash.

moparboy440 likes this.
  17. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

Wrong generation.....You have PM! I just went through this about a year ago. Instead of listeneing to all the so called experts pissin on your party, check out what I wote you. Pm me if you have any further questions.

18. indyjps

indyjps

Only advice I have, go get the car.

She is offering it to you free. If she gets fed up with DMV or questions or anything, She could just have it hauled off.

Continue to work with her on the title, or just get a bill of sale/ statement that transfers ownership. If she doesnt have a title, You dont have a title. Whats the difference who applies for it.

19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

In NJ there is a process for obtaining a new VIN number, it's outlined on the NJ MVC website. Get the car first, then follow the instructions on the website. The thing I like about the NJ process is that with the assigning of a new VIN, the car's history technically begins with you, and you'll have a clear transferrable title in your name.

oldolds and 30tudor like this.
  20. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

Well after ending up in the hospital for a week. Back to reality. Got to finally go and see the car today. Its a 37 buick century model 61.

57JoeFoMoPar likes this.
  21. Just a thought since im not in your state....Did NJ title cars in 1937? many east coast states didn't title in the early days.You simply paid the registration fee for the year.Cars were sold by bill of sale.In the old days all the DMV clerks knew this.In the 1970"s they started titling so all the old time clerks are long gone.

22. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Glad you are out of the hospital, and hopefully doing well. Is it a coupe? Four door convertible? Town Sedan?

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd suggest getting the car home and then go through every hiding spot in it. If he was driving it at one time there may still be a registration slip in it from the last year it was driven and or an insurance card. Either would have the vin on it.
    Last "no title" parts rig I drug home the title fell out of the glove box when I rolled the body off the frame to cut it up. an hour later that body was laying in the crusher row at my friend's wrecking yard and he had the title on his desk. S-10 blazer that I only wanted two parts off, the rear axle and the gas tank, tank was missing and the axle had several teeth missing off the ring gear and pinon.

24. indianmark

indianmark

37 Buick has a vin plate on the top of the passenger side frame rail just in front of the firewall.

25. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Does the new NJ title have the correct make and year? If so, good. If not, do they use the current year and then expect the car to conform to requirements of a new car? ( e.g., air bags, emissions)

26. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

Good news. Just found the title in a folder in the trunk. Woooot. Here is a picture of the car on the trailer. I'll start a proper tread for the car after im done cleaning it. Resized_20181222_161928_6845.jpg

moparboy440, s55mercury66 and F&J like this.
  27. F&J

F&J

I'm sure others besides me want to see how good it looks with a wash. Hint Hint... go wash it! ad take pics;) That looks in great condition for an east coast barn find.

28. Glad it worked out.

29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That will make a nice family cruiser! Hope you got the door and hood for it.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Glad it is out of there and in a new home, looking forward to more photos. Bob