Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My GN Cycle Car tribute build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ziggster, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Ziggster

Ziggster

I was inspired almost a year ago when I first came across Richard Scaldwell's GN JAP creation. I started gathering parts in August with the purchase of a Ford flathead. Then red oak beams that had been aged 10 years, then Model A axles, and recently a Ford T5 trans. I've always been interested in cars, and was very passionate when I was younger, spending hours drawing them and working on them. I'll always treasure the time spent going to shows with my grandmother and her 64 Chrysler Saratoga 300. Since coming across the GN JAP, I've spent countless hours looking for and reading up on as much material as possible. I know I cannot duplicate his masterpiece, but I will try to pay tribute to what I think is one of most beautiful creations on four wheels that I have ever seen.
    image.jpeg

2. squirrel

squirrel

I love your technique, too!

3. More please.

Stogy likes this.
  4. I don’t even know what we are talking about and I’m excited

5. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'm interested as well. I loved the videos of that JAP engined race car pushing it on the track. Now we can look forward to your version. Have fun!

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  6. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Hnstray, Stogy, HunterYJ and 5 others like this.
  7. Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  8. JAP? Well never mind what first came to mind. Then I looked at the site, neat!

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome . Please keep us updated .

Stogy likes this.
  11. catdad49

catdad49

Zig, quite an intro! A build thread would be nice, but could you update your profile? Thanks and welcome from VA.

rbrewer, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Zig, it would be good to know where you are generally located as well.

13. Ziggster

Ziggster

Still figuring out how this site works. I'm from the Ottawa, Canada region.

Unkl Ian, Spooky, Speed~On and 4 others like this.
  14. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Outback, Stogy, Ned Ludd and 2 others like this.
  15. Ziggster

Ziggster

Thanks. Yes, I've seen that thread and spent some time on it, but as mentioned it's huge. Cyclecar was a term I had never heard of until I came across the GN JAP.

16. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Zig, I guess your at parts gathering and graph paper sketching phase so far. I think many will enjoy seeing a build thread as you proceed, when you work out how to attach pics (or get past the site's probation period). Being Ford Flattie powered you'll have more of a "hotrod" than a cyclecar.
    I'm at the parts collecting and Imagineering stage of a 3 wheel cyclecar paying homage to a Model A with a missing back wheel.
    Brown Trisk-Mesh.jpg

rbrewer, Spoggie, Jet96 and 6 others like this.
  17. Ziggster

Ziggster

I thought long and hard about which route to take. Debated about what kind of engine from Subarau boxer, Mazda rotary, motorcycle engines, etc, to keep the weight town, but finally decided with the flat head as it most closely resembles the JAP 5.0 air cooled Richard Scalweld used. The big downside to this was the weight of the flathead. I was shocked to see it is close to 600 lbs. With that decision, I knew it would be hot rod vice a cyclecar, or as I refer to it "speedster". I really want to keep the look of the wood frame, but again with the weight, it was a no-go. To address that, I had some 11 ga bent into C channels that will not be visible from the outside, but with the wood exposed. At least that is the plan for now.

18. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Good for you! Yeah the engine will be a challenge. Well maybe one of the challanges...

Stogy likes this.
  19. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Engine weight was a real concern of mine too and I have gone with an (OT) 1.5 L V Twin cycle unit. Still I applaud your choice of the Ford 8. Apart from being absolutely traditional and perfectly fitting to your scheme they sound so sweet. I'm subscribed.

Stogy, brEad and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

eblackdesign_1_11.jpg Portland artist/designer Eric Black was taken by Scaldwell's car as well and came up with this rendering.

21. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

That rendering is sweet.

Stogy, foolthrottle and loudbang like this.
  22. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

Maybe you will find some inspiration in the thread aero engined vintage racers.Good luck on your project and don’t be to much frustradet if you are behind your planing,the devil will be in the details.(Sometimes I have the feeling my project is a big nightmare)

Stogy likes this.
  23. Ziggster

Ziggster

Of course I threw my back out on Sunday. Hopefully, I'll be back in the saddle next week. A couple of pics of the 3D model Petro Shekhter made. The pic in my avatar is his 3D rendering.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4k9xk

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

24. oj

oj

ManOman, could you imagine tooling around in a 1200lb single seater with 3 or 4 HarlyDavidson engines coupled together up front! The sound alone would be without equal.

Stogy, oilnrust and loudbang like this.
  25. Ziggster

Ziggster

Lol. Last night I just had to listen again to some flathead vids on YT for inspiration. This is probably my favourite.

26. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Here's a taste of Bloody Mary's sound when she was in (I think) 2 JAP V Twin iteration.

Wait for it, wait for it. There's a lot of nearby engine sounds in the beginning

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

You might also want to take a look at the Specials thread.

If you go for a liquid-cooled engine like a Flathead it would substantially change the front aspect of the car, unless you specifically go out of your way to hide the radiator which, together with the requisite electric fans, might conflict with the straight-forward ethos of the build – depending, of course, on exactly where you peg the ethos of the build. But if the front end idiom is going to be about a radiator, I'd say there's a lot to look at on the Specials thread.

There are a few Flathead-powered Frazer Nashes on there, if I remember correctly.

Are you looking to replicate the GN chain transmission?

I spent my early teens in Ottawa, 40-odd years ago. It was a good time of my life.

Outback, Spoggie and Stogy like this.
  28. Ziggster

Ziggster

I haven't quite figured how true to the original I plan to make it. I know there is no way I can replicate exactly what Scaldwell did. It will likely end up being a North American "hot rod" rendition with my flathead and Model A axles. There is also the huge issue of road legal, and I've been in touch with a provincial transport engineer, and many "mods" would be required to make it road legal. So much so, I think it would completely ruin the look, so I'm still up in the air as to if I will pursue that route. Keeping the front narrow is key, and the rad will be mounted in the rear, hopefully well concealed. I came across a motorcycle with a flathead which incorporated two mini-rads in the saddle bags, so it can be done. Actually it was quite ingenious.
    My back is almost healed so I was back at the drafting table again tonight. I started sketching in a dummy of myself using some anthropometric data I found on the web, and let's just say that the proportions will need to be scaled up a bit to accommodate my 6'-6" height. I really don't want to be seen as a Mr. Potatoe head. One of the main reasons I opted out of purchasing a Honda S2000 many years ago. We're just outside of Ottawa in the Gatineau hills, and I must say it is God's country.

29. Ziggster

Ziggster

I've raised the height of the body about 6" at the cockpit opening. Looking at the original, the tail section seems somewhat disproportionately smaller than the rest of the body, so I also raised it so the tail section would be closer to shoulder height when seated. My kids said I need to design it so that it will be road legal. Hmmm...
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  30. Ziggster

Ziggster

I think I've nailed down the front and cockpit, but the tail section now seems a bit too large. It looks slightly distorted in the pic due to the angle I had to take the pic, but I'll double check tonight. The cockpit opening is actually a very complex series of curves which just impresses upon me the genius in the original design and more so in its fabrication.
    image.jpeg