Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dick King roadster for sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by re49, Aug 9, 2010.

1. re49

re49

Ran across this while surfing-http://www.356services.com. Click on estate auction.

Was this car a 1950 AMBR runner-up, or is there some confusion with the Niekamp roadster? Very nice, but like to have seen it before it was (over)restored.

Nice '36, too.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I wonder what the original interior looked like? that one doesn't look like 1950 to me.

3. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

It didn't tie for 1950 AMBR, as the description states.

4. re49

re49

Yeah, I thought that AMBR tie was wrong, too. Strange there was another roadster so similar to the Niekamp car. Even the color looks close. I still wonder how many liberties were taken in the restoration. Sure looks fancy for late 40's-'50.

5. from Jan '51 HRM
    [​IMG]

from May '51 HRM
    [​IMG]

6. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Would have been nice had they left it as original, or restored it to look as it did in 1950.

7. Reminds me of Moal' s roadster okey only a little

8. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Reminds me of a lot of roadsters.

9. OldRacer

OldRacer

I was in that club with Dick. It was the NorthBay Rodsters not roadsters, out of Vallejo Ca. Been a long time and I have CRS but I don't remember that windshield or that upholstery and seems to me it was painted a light gold iridescent but that was a long time ago!!!!

10. re49

re49

Is that an alternator(!) hiding in the underhood pic? If I'd noticed that I'd never have started this thread.

11. sota

sota

Just BITCHIN!!!!!

Deuces likes this.
  12. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

13. Roadsir

Roadsir

The blue is too blue and the tan is too tan, but man that is a beautiful car.
    Anybody have any old color pics? If it was gold I bet that looked really cool with all the chrome.

14. It is a fantastic car I agree the body and interior colours need changing they make it look like a Niekamp roadster wannabe if you look at the second pic from May '51 HRM it has that metallic paint look to it. The windscreen post are visible in both period pics, as was the case back then the windscreen was taken off during shows especially if it was shown in the lakes roadster class.

Stogy likes this.
  15. Anderson

Anderson

I love it for it's history and all the work involved.

But the front end doesn't look quite right, the headlight placement is really odd. Something about it looks very street-roddish....I dunno. I'd like to see more vintage shots of it.

16. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Great hot rod with great history...

I always wondered about the front suspension, very interesting.....

17. re49

re49

Yeah, that rocking spring shackle/shock mount is something I've never seen. Don't see why it wouldn't work though. Any thoughts on that??

18. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I noticed that it is now in Hemmings Motor news for sale.

The King roadster spent part of its life in the Reno area. During that time a couple of my friends owned it. I had a lot of fun in that car. R&C published a letter I wrote to them after it appeared in '93 about my experiences with it.

It looks to me that the cowl area was changed in the last "restoration". The cowl line is now gone. I have attached a photo of it as it looked in the late '50's to early '70's time period.

Attached Files:

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. Jarek Thompson

Jarek Thompson

Hey this is an old thread but I thought I’d post sone pictures of the King roadster to show its evolution from 1947-1951 timeframe. The Martins were members of the Northbay Roadsters in Vallejo at the time and their club worked on the car for the Oakland Roadster show. The Martins are friends of mine and have these photos hanging on the wall of Kyle Martin’s shop.

Attached Files:

Cyclone Kevin, Jimmy B, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Looked better in 1947.

21. Just does nothing for me. That windshield is awful. Not a fan of the nerf bars & head lights either. Just my opinion, not that anyone cares.:rolleyes: We are the same age though.:eek:

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@proartguy posted this in thumbnail and I really like this version It's interesting that this is a standalone look with a different windshield to all the others an the interior has a nice period vibe to it as well.

@proartguy do you know when this pic was taken? It matches @OldRacer's description.

It just goes to show surviving doesn't mean complimentary survival albiet I have seen far worse post Hamb period transitions.

Gaddas 29-'72.jpg

Credit to Photographer, Owner

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Some from Cal-Neva dry lakes
    cal-neva-3.jpg cal-neva-20.jpg

I have these in my Collection, they were from Dick King's estate.
    dick-king-snapshot-(9).jpg
    early-dick-king.jpg snapshot-(10)-1.jpg king-side-01.jpg Snapshot-(05).jpg
    1855530782062141205_1609796424.jpg

& finally an illustration I did.
    dick-king-final.jpg

24. A Boner

A Boner

Cool hot rod! Would probably look better if it was painted and upholstered more subtle colors, like the Niekamp roadster for example. Is the windshield made from later 1930's coupe windshield pieces?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  25. Regarding the high headlights and nerf bar....I remember California had bumper and headlight height laws. The officials regarded hot rodders as dangerous, street racing misfits and would enforce the tough equipment laws in a heartbeat. I believe the legal headlight height was 24" from the ground.

Blue One and ct1932ford like this.
  26. Blake 27

Blake 27

A few Dick King roadster pictures I took at the Sacramento Autorama in 2012. DSC04999.JPG DSC05000.JPG DSC05001.JPG DSC05002.JPG DSC05003.JPG DSC05009.JPG DSC05010.JPG

27. Camm

Camm

Very nice .

Deuces likes this.