Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 truck (2nd series) hood hinges are flexing the firewall

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Unclebrad, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Unclebrad

Unclebrad

This truck is new to me, and it has had some new parts installed in the not-too-distant past, including the hood hinges.
    IMG_6374 lo.jpg
    I recently noticed that opening the hood feels wrong. It is heavy to begin with, and it feels like it is putting leveraged strain somewhere.
    Watching carefully while opening the hood, I think that there is flex where the hood hinges attach to the hood.
    AND, as the hood gets near the halfway open point, I can see that the hinges are also creating flex where they attach to the firewall.
    Neither of those things can be good, right?
    Are there any known fixes that I can make before the sheet metal starts cracking?

2. oldsman41

oldsman41

Hoping these are good hinges. If you can check behind the firewall you should have a brace plate back there it does cut down on the flexing there. At the hood there shouldn’t be any flexing to speak of. Some replacement hinges have a way to stiff spring on them and it may cause some problems. A good body shop can give you some help sometime info is free.

3. BJR

BJR

Are they lubed up good?

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As mentioned in above post by Oldsman41, the springs may be too strong. If these are reproductions, not OEM, other considerations could be the rivets that attach the links to the brackets may be too tight, also, the geometry of the links could be off causing some issues but I think that is the least likely of those possibilities.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018

5. squirrel

squirrel

find some old originals....

6. I agree with all the comments above, particularly the one about keeping the hinges well lubricated. I am using the original springs, and have never noticed any flexing of the hood in the 50 years I have owned my truck.
    Bob

7. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Pic's to make sure their not mounted upside down........................................

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

The old hinges on those are usually sprung... there are some new ones out there that work better than the original design. But yea you need to make sure they are lubed, lithium grease is good but is kinda messy.

And the original ones have the spring mounted to the inner fender, not like you have pictured above.

9. squirrel

squirrel

55-57 have the spring on the hinge, 58-59 have the spring on the inner fender. They are different. And the 55-57 seem to last a lot longer than the 58-59.

10. Unclebrad

Unclebrad

Thanks. Good ideas here.
    I haven't checked to see if there is lubrication. That could be an easy solution.
    Can you tell about the mounting from the pic in the original post?
    If not, I'll take a couple tomorrow.

11. Unclebrad

Unclebrad

Well, the hinges were dry. I think it is now a little bit better with lubrication. Still haven't checked for backing plates. The carpets and sound deadener are glued to the firewall and it isn't going to be just a matter of pulling stuff away to have a quick look. Maybe over the weekend...