Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Slopok

Slopok

They also removed the wipers along with the spots.

2. Slopok

Slopok

At the Duck Tail, Pink & White???

3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

And here is a picture I took, they are almost the same. Maybe some one can put the two pictures on one post. I can`t seem to find my book. Scan0790.jpg

4. Here you go Jim. You're right, the pictures are close to identical! E

Scan0790.jpg

Doug Reid 56 Ford c Wild Leadsleds p121.jpg

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

here are some of my ccr pics of it queen1.jpg queen2.jpg queen3.jpg queen4.jpg queen5.jpg queen6.jpg queen7.jpg

6. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Howard built that one too. Its in Texas in a guys collection.

7. sideswipe

sideswipe

Someone has to have Howard's 36 roadster in a picture out there. He had that thing when I was little. It went through several different stages. At one time it was more like a street rod. By the early 80's it had skirts, smooth hood panels and a single 69 chevy taillight lenses in the rear fenders frenched deep. It was maroon. Then it was black with a LaSalle grill frenched in front and 59 caddy taillights in the rear. He ended up selling it at an autozone or something. It was running hot. The timing was right and the stars aligned. Some guy cut him a check right there during a repair.

8. John B

John B

I asked Charley (his great nephew) last night and he said he didn't have any pictures of it.
    **** EDIT ! - I guess he got to looking and found some pictures of it in both the paint colors. I'll let Scott be the one to post those pictures.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  9. Rita Rider

Rita Rider

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Rita Rider

Rita Rider

45474_1582965542692_3844928_n.jpg 45474_1582965542692_3844928_n.jpg Oh I am still around guys. Just not in Calif, We moved to Az about 28 years ago. Yes I still have the Buick and a few other cars in the garages.

11. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What ever happened to NHRA's voice in drag racing?--------Dave McClelen (sp)???

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Rita Rider

Rita Rider

Yes I still have the Buick but she has had a few changes to her heart.
    Why yes that is how you spell my last name.lol

Sancho, loudbang, 54delray and 6 others like this.
  13. What Ever Happened To..........? number 146.

1954 Mercury "The Renegade"
    Owner: John Pazsik
    Union, New Jersey

This week's car is an east coast custom with a long history. It was built and owned by John Pazsik who was a great auto body and paint man for decades. Mr. Pazsik was very skilled at his craft, and a great teacher as well. He taught our own Mark @chopolds Wojcik the trade and Mark runs a successful shop (Customs by Flash) today in New Jersey. Mark and his crew and a handful of skilled craftsmen brought the Barris Kopper Kart clone to life a few years back.
    Mr. Pazsik was a fixture at custom events on the east coast. He attended Lead East many times as well as a number of KKOA shows. I know that he must have attended the Leadsled Spectacular many times, but I was only able to find his car on the 1983 video from Springfield, Ohio.
    The great green paint and sneaky scallops were pure perfection, and the Supremes were a nice touch. I did find a few pictures of it to share. The first picture was in Custom Cars by Hot Rod Volume 2 number 2 from 1984 on page 29. It was in their coverage of the 1983 Spectacular.

John Pazsik 54 Merc a CCbyHR v2n2 1984 p29.jpg

The next picture was scanned from a KKOA Leadsled'er from 1984, Volume 4 number 3 on page 15. It was in a short article covering a Kustom Knights picnic.

John Pazsik 54 Merc b Leadsleder V4n3 p15 1984 (1).jpg

John was very active in the custom movement and he even occasionally wrote in to magazines to express his opinions. This article was printed in the August '82 issue of Classic and Custom (Volume 3 number 4). The letter mentions another letter by Mr. Pazsik printed in Classic and Custom Volume 3 number 2. Unfortunately I don't have that issue to share what that letter was about. (If someone out there has this issue and can scan the letter, we'd all appreciate it!) In this letter John mentions his experience in the auto body and paint trade, and the long time (as of 1982) he had owned the Mercury.

John Pazsik 54 Merc c CnC Aug 82 p10 V3n4.jpg

After these sightings in magazines in the early 80s the car's history became cloudy and information on it became hard to find. I remember John being mentioned many times here on the HAMB by Mark Wocjik (@chopolds) and a few other custom HAMBers, so I decided to do some research right here on the good ol' board. Glad I did because I found some great information that was posted quite a while ago.
    @40LUV posted some great pics from Lead East way back in 2005. It was in that post that Mr. Pazsik's '54 Mercury was posted. It had another owner and a new look, but our own chopolds verified that it was indeed John's former car.

John Pazsik 54 Merc d in red HAMB 05 40LUV.jpg

It was also in that thread where Mark wrote some great history about the car. I cut and pasted his response to post here, but I'm including a link to the thread so that you all can go back and read all of the posts and see the pictures of all the cars. It is time well spent.

@chopolds wrote: "This car is my old boss's car! John Pazsik .
    History!!!!!!!
    He bought it in 57, when he was a teenager. Had local body guy supreme, Spike, owner now of Ed's Autobody in Union NJ, do the custom work on it, learning to do it himself as well. Had it painted by Jersey Great, Tony Bruskavage, in a custom mix of green pearl. Later, John Pazsik went to work for Leo, of Superior Interiors, and had him do the interior as well.
    The car went on to do the indoor car show circuit in the late 50's early 60's. Won just about every trophy you could in all the big East Coast shows.
    John owned the car many years, keeping it in the same condition, although somewhere along the line he was trailering it up to the Hartford Conn. show, and had it covered. The cover beat up the paint job, so John redid some of it, adding pearl white scallops.
    John still owned the car when I went to work for him in '79. Over the years, he ran into personal, and business problems. Wound up selling the car a couple times, buying it back, but eventually losing it.
    I was fortunate enough to have worked on it for one of the later owners, who took off the "Shore Calender" mags wheels, and double pin whites, wanted to put a set of skirts back on it, along with wide whites, and 57 Caddys. I spent a lot of time making a paint that matched the old green pearl job.
    Eventually, Tico Torres, of Bon Jovi fame would up owning it. He didn't drive it much, basically stored it in an airplane hanger with his plane.
    When Tico finally got bored with it, the work got out to Bob Barkoff, a friend of John's, and a great, talented builder of customs in his own right.
    Bobby did a partial restoration of the car, while adding his own touches, such as putting a 55 Pontiac rear bumper on it, to match the front, putting molded lakes pipes on it, putting a scoop in the front fender, adding air bags. He rebuilt the original motor and trans, suspension, brakes. He kept the original Superior Interior, which still looks great. He painted it the burnt copper color you see on it now.
    The car looks fantastic, though I have to admit, I would have kept it the way it was!
    BTW, John's nephew is a member of the HAMB, as well, Unionville Haunt.
    Sadly John has been in a nursing home for a few years, deteriorating slowly. Bobby is going to bring the car up to visit him next week!!!!! "

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lead-east-pictures.69220/

In Mark's above post it mentioned that Mr. Pazsik was in a nursing home and in poor health. John hung on for 8 more years before he passed away in 2013. I remember reading @00 MACK's post right after he passed and many custom folks chimed in to send their condolences. I never met Mr. Pazsik, but I too sent along my condolences out of respect to a true custom guy. John was very well thought of and I know his close friends and family miss him very much.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/sad-day-in-jersey-r-i-p-john-pazsik.789263/

After the picture posted here in 2005 I found no more on John's '54. I'm sure our east coast custom faithful will know more, and I hope this week's thread grows by leaps and bounds in honor of Mr. Pazsik.
    I hope everyone is enjoying the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, and the holidays bring lots of great time with family and friends. Until next Tuesday, stay warm! E

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

15. Thanks for posting Mark! Great letter--it just shows what a true custom guy Mr. Pazsik was! E

16. There it is, still in the east, patiently waiting for a new owner. Nice find @Sancho. Thanks for posting! E

17. Sorry Ed, I kind of feel like I haven't been participating much lately.
    Year-end is by far the most busy time for me at work. Hopefully it will settle down real soon.

18. Been wondering where you've been. I for one have been missing all your great finds. Glad to know that it's just a busy work schedule and not problems. E

19. I'm just catching back up here myself. Got caught up on this thread yesterday, but I'm waaaaay behind on custom blues, mild customs, bubble tops, etc. LOL Our oldest came home a few weeks ago announcing she and the boy wanted to get married in december....THIS December. Wedding is in two more days....been a little busy to read the HAMB. LOL

20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Congrats Dave. Here is a pic my dad took in 83 at the Springfield Ohio KKOA show. It is actually in the hotel parking lot where we stayed. Always liked this car. Never saw it again after that show Scan0797.jpg , otherwise I would of had of picture of it my self.

21. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You guys got me all misty now, reading all those old posts about John...……

22. sideswipe

sideswipe

Here is a car that was popular in the 80's. It was built in the Dayton Ohio area in the early 80's and owned by Jack Webb. Bill Roark frenched the taillights,headlights, added the merc grill shells. He also fitted the 57 ford sidetrim to it. The car went to Steve Anglia for awhile and ended up in Georgia where it was subframed. My dad, Chuck Sides, bought it in Bristol Tenn. He knew the car instantly. He drove it to the Leadsleds in Ohio, Lead East, Chicago, Florida and who knows where. He racked up the miles and fun, then it sat for 18 years! A friend of his owns her now and has been rebuilding her. She will sport new colors this spring, black trimmed in silver. Keep your eyes open. 50 coupe.jpg buried.jpg reborn.JPG

23. This shoe box is a car that I've been researching for a while with no luck on owner information. I did however find pictures of it I've been saving. In my research I found the car was at the Spectacular in 1993.
    Here's a photo taken by Scott Pavey at a Leadsled Spectacular in the 80s. Notice the Ohio license plates.

ScottPaveyPhoto285-vi.jpg

I also found the car on video at Sled Scene East in 1993. Here's a few pics that I found taken by our own @KustomLincolnLady at Sled Scene East. I'm guessing they were taken in '93.

50shoebox-vi KLL.jpg

50shoeboxrear-vi KLL.jpg

In these pictures it has Virginia plates. Just curious @sideswipe, does the car still have the chrome plated dash board?

So there you have it everyone. A little Monday night bonus W.E.H.T. courtesy of sideswipe! E

24. sideswipe

sideswipe

That is it. The Ohio tag might be owner Webb or Anglia. If it has a Virginia tag, DSCF4364.JPG DSCF4365.JPG it is my Dad, that is him (with shades) standing next to it. Bobby Simpsons convertible is next to it. The car still has the chrome dash in it. He must have bought it around 87. I was at my Mom's and I looked up and seen this bright red, lowered and kustomized 50 coupe round the corner. I said to myself "That has to be my Dad". haha

Ron, loudbang, chryslerfan55 and 8 others like this.
  25. Hey @sideswipe, there are a few different guys with shades looking at the car in these pictures. Is the guy I circled your Dad? If it is, he's the guy that was cruising the car around in the 1993 Sled Scene East video. E

50shoebox-vi KLL.jpg

Ron, Ron Funkhouser, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  26. sideswipe

sideswipe

yup, that is him. well my mom said so. haha

27. What Ever Happened To..........? number 147.

1955 Chevy
    Owner: Ron Monnin
    West Seneca, New York

This week's car is one that I think I've finally gathered enough information on to post. For quite sometime I thought this car was another car with quite a few changes. Further research showed that these are two different cars. The other car was featured here not too long ago. The Hal and Pat Wolf '56 Buick (W.E.H.T. #142). Both cars were red, had bubble skirts and were hardtops. Here's a link to the Wolf Buick in case you missed it:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/what-ever-happened-to.1016572/page-101

The Monnin '55 Chevy had a lot of the required things on it to make it a cool custom, lake pipes, bubble skirts, Caddy caps and clean paint. The car was around quite a while, although it seemed that its attendance at car shows was spotty at best. Keep in mind that I don't have every KKOA video and very few KOA or other show videos, and that usually magazines don't catch every cool car at the shows.
    The first sighting I found of this car was at the 1983 Leadsled Spectacular in Springfield, Ohio. There wasn't a whole lot of footage on it, but it was there. I found a picture of it on Rikster's site that I'm sure was from the '83 show. As I post the pictures I found, you'll notice a lot of changes to the car over the years. This first photo was an early version with a tube grille, much darker paint than the later version, no crest on the front fenders and what looks to be the stock '55 tail lights with Lee Lenses. It also has rolled front and rear pans with no bumpers. Note that interior color is black.

Ron Monnin 55 Chevy a SPC.jpg

The '83 Spectacular was the only Leadsled I found it at. It was at Sled Scene East for a few years in the early 90s. I saw the car on both the 1993 and 1994 DVDs. In the next photo you can see the car's grille has been changed to a Pontiac unit with Pontiac bumpers, and the stock taillights have been replaced with those from a Packard, and the interior is now white. Also the car looks to be a brighter red. A color change makes sense as the rolled pans had to be cut off and the Pontiac bumpers installed. Lots of work but worth the effort!

Ron Monnin 55 Chevy b KLL.jpg

In the next picture you can see that the grille has been changed to a toothy Corvette version. The rest of the car looks to be the same.

Ron Monnin 55 Chevy c.jpg

Finally a shot of the rear:

Ron Monnin 55 Chevy d.jpg

After '93-'94, it was quite a while before I found anything else on it. It seems that Mr. Monnin started attending more KOA shows than KKOA shows. It was in the KOA's newsletter (The Styleline) where I came up with the last information I was able to find on the car. It was pictured in the January/February 2000 issue of the Styleline on page 24. It was an article naming 50 of the Koolest KOA Kustoms. It was there that I was finally able to put a name and location with the car. You'll notice the 'Vette grille is gone replaced with a 9 tooth '54 Chevy grille.

Ron Monnin 55 Chevy e KOA SL JanFeb 00 p24.jpg

I think I have the facts straight on this car, but I may not. The timeline on which grille was used when was just a guess by the backgrounds in the pictures. Maybe someone can tell us the order and give the whole story on Ron's grille swaps. There were quite a few red mid 50s hardtops over the years at shows and it got confusing at times. Take a look at the Wolf Buick and Mr. Monnin's '55 and I think you'll agree.
    After the 2000 magazine I found nothing more. It seems like an outstanding tri-five Chevy like this would be recognized by our East coast custom faithful since this car made the New York area home. I hope we can learn more about this one.
    Before I close tonight, I wanted to let everyone know that for the next two weeks we will have a schedule change. Since next Tuesday is Christmas and the following week is New Years Day, I'll be doing our W.E.H.T. thread on the next two Sunday nights (the 23 and 30th). This way we can get our custom fun in and it won't interfere with family holiday time when a lot of our custom family may be busy celebrating. We'll go back to our regular Tuesday night posting on January 8, 2019. I hope that's okay with everyone.
    If you still have gifts to buy you'd better hurry--just seven days 'til Christmas!
    Have fun everyone! See you Sunday! E

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Ron, drdave, Ron Funkhouser and 9 others like this.
  28. John B

John B

Great subject this week. I see he was a member of Lost Customs. Ed, I guess you could tell from watching my video from the 99 KOA Double Date that I was taken with this awesome ride to.

Sent from my LGL158VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Haven't found any info on the Chevy yet but here is Ron's '53 Buick at the Custom Car Revival. Not sure what year this was.
    (2014 I believe)
    43142791350_4f68c6d399_b.jpg

Ron, drdave, OG lil E and 8 others like this.