Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2019 LA Roadster Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fuzzy Knight, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Well, that should stop all the bitching!

2. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Looks like someone has been listening, but you just know there will be someone unhappy about something, beer, hot dogs, toilet paper, beer..............
    I've only been one time and that was as a non car entry but this was about the biggest candy store I had ever been in. My only complaint was the heat, but that's coming from an Oregonians POV, oh, and too many 32 hiboy roadsters, note to self......finish roadster.
    In all seriousness, this is a world class show, I hope this gets the LARS back on track.

Atwater Mike, Lil32 and LOU WELLS like this.

4. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I hope they repeat the ability to reserve your swap space.
    You don't have to spend Thursday night in line.
    We got a killer spot last year. (see my avatar)

LOU WELLS likes this.
  5. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Thanks For Posting This Update And I Look Forward To Going Again...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Interesting there is no mention of the swap meet which for me is a far bigger draw than seeing a hundred almost identical 32 roadsters. I will bet
    this means they return to their prior attitude that the swap is an afterthought, which probably means no pre buying or reserved spots.

7. You'll note that this memo is addressed to commercial vendors. Hence no information pertaining to the swap meet, as it's irrelevant to them.

Dean Lowe likes this.
  8. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Once again the 90 year old LARS men in their red and white square dance outfits will make the swap a pain.

9. uncle buck

uncle buck

My understanding from a club member is the swap meet is still in the planning stages and info on it won't be finalized until most likely January. The preliminary plans are to utilize the one positive thing John Buck did in my mind , and that is pre-registration for swap meet spaces. The plans are to move everything back closer together too. They plan to still have the great bbq on Saturday night for the roadster drivers as in the past too. Expect to see what we use to see 10 years ago this fathers day. The only thing that I discussed with him that sounded possibly unclear was whether a passenger in a roadster will be free or pay $20.00 for the weekend, which is a good deal either way. The email copy has it mentioned as both driver and passenger free, but that possibly was not quite finalized. All the actual final details will be posted on the laroadstershow website as they get it all worked out. I'll be there to support them in 2019!

Shamus and deucemac like this.
  10. uncle buck

uncle buck

You might consider just staying home, then you won't be so miserable

Kiwi 4d, Shamus, deucemac and 4 others like this.
  11. "The only thing that I discussed with him that sounded possibly unclear was whether a passenger in a roadster will be free or pay $20.00 for the weekend,"
    If you bothered to read the flyer it says FREE for driver and one passenger !!!

12. uncle buck

uncle buck

Ok fuzzy , If you had bothered to read the next sentence in my post, you would have read that I noted the email said that! I got the impression from my conversation with the club member I spoke to that that was not supposed to read that way and may change . That is why I posted it that way

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jim Bouchard likes this.
  13. No offence meant. But the info I have from several members is Driver and Pass are going to be free.

14. uncle buck

uncle buck

Lets hope so. I have to believe since they released that bulletin that that's what it will be this year. Either way its a great deal and I'm glad they are back to running the show. As far as any annual show I've been to, this is by far the most enjoyable for me.

Shamus likes this.
  15. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fuzzy----Thanks for posting---I'll be working roadster registration again.----I'm sure driver & passenger will be free.

deucemac and Lil32 like this.
  16. guy1unico

guy1unico

The Greatest Hot Rod Show On Earth returns!

20181201_081946.jpg

17. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I spoke with you about running that red LAR plaque on your front last year, since you are not an LAR member, please remove it & hang it in your garage or (?) other. You have a great looking '32 & should apply for LAR club membership. Hope to see you again next year for our LAR show & swap,---Don

18. deucemac

deucemac

Looking forward to seeing you yet another time Don. Enjoy the drive down!

19. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well,----After driving my roadster down last year in the blazing heat, had to keep pouring bottled water down on my shoes! floorboards were very hot! My daughter said I was getting too old to make the trip to Pomona, so she went with me. After the show was finished, drove the roadster to my son's by Thousand Oaks where he's building a large workshop & including a one car stall just for my roadster to store. Then daughter & I flew back home to Bend,Oregon.
    So,-- I'll fly down next year, pick up the roadster, make the short drive to Pomona, enjoy working the registration, drive back at son's & fly home again.
    I always rent a 6 pass. cart each year so yell at me when I go by!-----Don

20. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20180617_141355.jpg 20180617_141355.jpg

Attached Files:

34 GAZ, Dean Lowe, 63fdsnr and 3 others like this.
  21. uncle buck

uncle buck

Don, You realize it’s gonna be out of gas when you get there to pick it up don’t you?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haaaaaaa!!!----My grandson will see to it for sure! IMG952605.jpg IMG952605.jpg

Hamtown Al and jnaki like this.
  23. uncle buck

uncle buck

24. Lil32

Lil32

Beware Don
    it could be in a container on it's way to Australia
    your son could be open to bribes

Ha ha
    Noel

25. clem

clem

You’re never going to stop it all........see below !

26. How about thinking positive. Maybe they learned something from this years debacle.
    Yeah, I guess I spoke too soon. Some people are never happy.

deucemac, uncle buck and Atwater Mike like this.
  27. RockyMtnWay

RockyMtnWay

Missed it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  28. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-12-10_4-52-47.png
    Hey DDD,

That is an outstanding photo of Arroyo Sequit Beach, two hot rodders, that cool roadster, and the great surf at that spot. (Lucky for US/everyone, that WE cannot take good "selfies" as a popular form of photography.) What a combo… It was one of our favorite North Coast surf spots back in the teenage surf trip days. It was a long drive up the coast from Long Beach, but when the specific swell was hitting that area, there was no other place that had such great rides.

Even though, everyone could see the waves from the PCH Highway, somehow, it was usually deserted or with only a few out surfing. There are so many spots along this coastline that back then, the long drive was worth it. Secos, always has crystal clear water and kelp to keep the wind from blowing it out early.

The spot was better known as “Secos” for us and our friends. The good thing about it were the waves, the bad thing about it was that big rock, right in the middle of the surf area. Most of the time, the takeoff was near the rock. But, sometimes, it broke outside and one had to get by the rock for the longer rides.

This place is sometimes known as Leo Carillo State Beach and there is a campground inland of the highway. Speaking of the highway, it is the end of the road for the famed Mullholland Highway that starts in L.A. It is a roundabout way to get to this beach, but it is “A long and winding road…”

P.S. After driving down the PCH Highway 1 on the way home from Santa Barbara during the 2018 Thanksgiving Week, it was a sad scene. We saw the remaining destruction from the last big fire that came roaring down the canyon and jumped over the highway. The sheds on the beach side were burned remnants of the destruction. Everything was blackened or burned to the ground. It was a devastating sight to see. The waves? They were still rolling in towards shore at a consistent rate.

Have fun at this upcoming year's event. What a cool grandfather !!!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    TrailerTrashToo likes this.