Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Speed TV / Velocity.....and what’s next.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Dec 4, 2018.

1. SPOILER ALERT: The Rambler Classic is the Car of The Year

Pete L. and partsdawg like this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

What we really need is H.A.M.B. TV.... How about guys.... Want to be movie stars????? :);):D

mad mikey and Max Gearhead like this.
  3. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

“Comedians in cars getting coffee “ for me

IronTrap likes this.
  4. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Well I guess a TV station (MAV-TV and Velocity now Motor Trend) devoted to automotive content is better then not at all. There are some I refuse to watch at all such as Fast and Load, Graveyard Cars, Overhauled, Westcoast Customs, to name a few with all the drama, fake dead lines and unlimited budgets for builds. Anyone who has ever touch a wrench knows a quality car cannot be built in a week or even six weeks. Who would want it?

I along with many others would like a show that gets into the “how to” of building, designing and maintaining cars. I just don’t think it can happen, the majority of viewers are just not into the details of engine building, metal shaping, welding and design of modified or scratch built cars. Most people just don’t have the desire, patience for the details. It seems most people just want instant results a lot of younger folks won’t even watch a video if it’s over a couple minutes.

With that said these TV shows have to be profitable by attracting advertisers. I think the networks are struggling to find out what works. What used to be a 22 week season on TV is now maybe 6 weeks and they are episodes filled with advertisements. They are trying anything and everything with car game shows and some of it in my opinion is just plain junk and nonsense. I have written or emailed the network about what kind of content I would like to see and have never received a reply. I guess you just have to vote by watching what interests you and turning the channel when you think it is junk.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Deuces likes this.
  5. williebill

williebill

My cable/internet bill is ONLY $200 plus per month, so I don't get the latest version. I did enjoy the old Bonneville films that Speed showed eons ago. Don't watch any of the current dumbass car shows, they give me a headache.

Deuces likes this.
  6. I really like Ian Roussells show.It's not really geared towards extreme traditional stuff like here on the hamb but it's nice have a show where someone is still chopping tops and doing other body modifications.

7. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

I firmly believe that philosophy is what ruined NASCAR beyond repair...

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd like to have Mav.... But don't, there's a lot of story track dirt racin to watch all over the country...

9. Matts Iron Trap Garage is one of the best, if not the best yt channels their is. Old hot rods, old stuff, and metal working lessons and tips. Matt is a fantastic instructor, and has great skill. Keep up the great work Matt, I am a huge fan.:)

keywestjack and IronTrap like this.
  10. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

I think the Roku is the best of the smart boxes. BUT. The secret of all these boxes with "Apps" is that they get to shove MORE ads in your face than is allowed on TV. YouTube is great without ads. Get an old PC and hook it up to your TV. Use Chrome or Firefox and run ad blockers. Life is SOO much better. You can still get 99% of what the Roku/Fire Stick/ChromeCast gets on the apps but you can block the ads. All you need is old PC or laptop with a HDMI out. Plus you have a full PC for files and pictures. Just get a cheap wireless keyboard and mouse.

catdad49 and Frankie47 like this.
  11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Had speed, not that great, Wanted to get velocity but never got around to the upgrade.
    Hate to say it but Motor Trend sounds boring, I always skipped that mag and went for Hot Rod or something like that, however I would look at it if nothing else was availableo_O

charleyw likes this.
  12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Britbox using Firestick..... Midsomer Murders we're up to the 11th season!
    KK

John B likes this.
  13. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember when Speed Vision would run the old hot rod movies on Saturday night? The program Bruce Dern hosted? That was cool.

Randall, robracer1, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I dumped speed channel when they started showing speed racer cartoons in the mornings. That was back in the C band days when you could just pay for the channel you wanted.

15. Long time velocity viewer and enjoy shows like Ian Roussells show, he thinks way out side of the norm, and who has seen "Hand Built Hot Rods" narrated by some guy named Bill Gibbons, let me re write that, Billy F. Gibbons of ZZ Top fame, how did they land the Billy Gibbons to narrate a car show? The show is pretty good except the owner, Steve Strope seems to be an odd character and a lot of their work is farmed out to other shops. I do hope they stop with the name changes, like the others have posted, its all about making our cable & satellite bills go up, IMHO

16. John B

John B

Are you like me? Lusting after all those Morris Minors that seem to be in every episode?

17. Harland grunder

Harland grunder

It's all crap LP
    Pl

18. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

The cool thing is they seem to be mostly the little woody wagons!
    The British are especially good at doing period pieces from the 50's and 60's!
    KK

John B likes this.
  19. Been there done that. Silver Helmet, fast forward to the 1:54 mark

I go out to the shop and work this time of year.

20. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I kinda go in cycles, and have been in youtube mode for the last 18 months or so. I like to watch old Nascar stuff, chrome bumpers being mandatory, and I like to re-view the short track stuff. Richmond, Martinsville, Greenville-Pickens, Bristol, all good. I watched a little spot about Fred Lorenzen at Daytona in 1965 last night, and they revealed his secret strategy of using a lower gear ratio to extend his time between pit stops :) Very interesting :) Black and white Perry Mason, Dragnet, and Adam 12 are usually good for some old iron, Highway Patrol also, although it's a little too pat, but they clearly show how important engine numbers were for vehicle ID, back 60 years ago.

tractorguy likes this.
  21. tractorguy

tractorguy

I didn't realize until about 6mos ago that I actually have MAV until I stumbled into it channel surfing way down the end of the spectrum. Lots of good short track dirt stuff from some pretty historic tracks.

22. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

TV either bores me or pisses me off, so I'm into streaming music with acuradio. I don't have a TV in the shop and I like it that way.