Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures American Dreaming

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

American Dreaming

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

jnaki, 35cab, Ron Funkhouser and 10 others like this.
  2. I remember the excitement every year waiting to see what the new cars were going to look like, and new features.
    You can see all the influences from the drawings that went into those cars. Can't imagine having your artwork just tossed out. Have to keep a lookout for this one. Thanks

3. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

That's really cool .

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

It's unfortunate the things the auto companies destroyed. I'll leave it at that.

Stogy and dana barlow like this.

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  6. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

Back in 1959 one of my buddies Bill MacKeil submitted a model in the Fisher Body Guild club. Sometime later it was returned to him and he won either $50 or $100 dollar prize for the design. He submitted another one in 1960 and received another $50 or $100 prize. The part that always amazed me was the first model was very close to a '67 Camaro coupe and the second one was almost a dead ringer of the Stingray roadster. Sadly Bill passed away about ten years ago but his brother still has both models. I'm surom thre Fisher got a good many de ideas f

8. Retired GM automotive designer Bernie Smith and his artwork of the proposed 1958 Oldsmobile:

Bernie Smith (1).jpg

In the background is the proposal Bernie created in his Preliminary Design Studio. Bernie originally named it "Stiletto" (later renamed). It was to be one of three GM Concept car's intended for the 1965 New York World's Fair:

Bernie Smith (2).jpg

9. Del Coates, retired automotive designer with the last Studebaker work he created ... an all-new full-size sedan artwork dated 1958:

Del Coates (1).jpg

Del also designed this proposal for Studebaker on December 3rd 1957 ... intended for the 1959 model year Golden Hawk:

Del Coates (2).jpg

10. I really appreciate the passion these individuals had for their designs and at the risk of losing a dream job they chose to be visionary's saving pieces of their work from being destroyed.

I salute these men & women. HRP

11. David E. Scott was a Chrysler designer from 1944 through 1957.

Here's his rendering of a Dodge concept (dated April 25th 1945):

David Scott (3).jpg

Here's one of Mr. Scott's design proposals for Chrysler (dated 1949):

David Scott - Maxine Regan (1949).jpg
    illustration by Maxine Regan *

Here's his "Plaza Landau Coupe" design proposal for Plymouth (dated 1951):

David Scott - Maxine Regan (1951).jpg
    illustration by Maxine Regan *

* During the early 1950s, Ms. Regan traveled around the country in public relation tours promoting Chrysler products. Maxine would work at a drafting board demonstrating her design skills for the public. Maxine was an accomplished airbrush artist and painted figures and backgrounds in several renderings.

Maxine Regan.jpg

Here's his "500 Special" concept (dated July 20th 1954):

David Scott - Thomas Ferris.jpg
    illustration by Thomas Ferris

In 1955, Scott worked on the "Front Wheel Drive Imperial" (code A-615) project. Here's two renderings created in early November 1955 while he was in Chrysler's Advanced Styling Studio:

David Scott (1).jpg
    David Scott (2).jpg

NOTE: David E. Scott's most important design was the 1956 Plymouth Plainsman ... which he single-handedly designed (interior and exterior).

12. rgdavid

rgdavid

Beautiful, just beautiful,
    All those designers are very clever people and dared to be different,
    Thank you to them.

Ron Funkhouser and Stogy like this.
  13. rgdavid

rgdavid

I would really see the whole film.
    How ?

Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know if this is the whole film but this is what @Ryan posted...

This may have been a trailer...

To this...

If I find a bigger version I will post it...

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  15. Although it has the same title (i.e., "American Dreaming’: Detroit’s golden age of auto design") and was uploaded to YouTube this year (January 18th 2018), I don't believe it's the same film ... as it contains zero footage seen in the PBS NewsHour trailer for the "American Dreaming’: Detroit’s golden age of auto design" film (posted by @Ryan in today's TJJ Blog) ... which was uploaded to YouTube on April 24th 2015.

I had originally posted that same video in post #7 (thinking it was the full film) ... but then I discovered the (August 8th 2014) "American Dealers Minisode featuring: American Dreaming" video interview of Robert Edwards (i.e., the documentary film's co-producer) ... and replaced it in post #7.

I also discovered that Mr. Edwards passed away in January of 2018 ... and it appears his documentary film was never finished :(

mad mikey, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. ETwagon

ETwagon
    from Arizona

HEMI32 and Stogy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @HEMI32 I just deleted that...it didn't seem right...thanks...I would hope that someone would see his work through...Rest in Peace Robert Edwards.

mad mikey and HEMI32 like this.
  18. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool set of videos!

19. In the early to mid 70's, there were still books in my elementary school library from the 60's with the "Dream Cars" in them. Can't tell you how many times I checked them out....those and the "Here is Your Hobby" book on car customizing. There was no hope for me...the die was cast. I've been fortunate over the years to find copies of most of those books and still enjoy reading them and still think we should all be driving flying bubble top cars by now.

mad mikey and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  20. Thanks Ryan, and everyone. My parents took me to the 64 65 worlds fair. I was already crazy about cars. But after seeing the big three's concept cars, I was never the same. I'm a Dreamer, and I built models, drew sketches, and started collecting anything 50 and 60s futuristic. If I had the money and metal fab skills, I would love to design and build my own dream car. The cars now days are so boring. Ron...:) 2061.jpg 2128.jpg 1870.jpg 1348.jpg

21. FASI

FASI

Robert Edwards did pass away early this year with the film unfinished. However his wife has been working hard to continue the project and has been making impressive headway and completion will likely happen in 2019.

22. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

As the New Year is just starting and we are reading about the demise or at least the downfall of the American car industry, one wonders what happened. There are models/versions that are disappearing at a record rate from the manufacturers. When we were little kids reading all sorts of magazines, we saw plenty of designs from those fabulous artists and designers. Our elementary and junior high school teachers would always expound on what neat things come from Detroit as far as designs go.

When we played with clay in elementary school, who did not make a mound into a slick shaped car with odd looking wheels? The teacher always tried to get us to do some bowls and plates, but I remember that mound becoming a car with pencil lines drawn into the clay for windows and doors. Those clay blobs never made it to the kilns in those days. They just sat on our desks with dreams running around our collective heads. (next to our finished bowls and plates for the assignments)

The artists/designers in this movie were those that we did not know, but wished we had the same skills to make a full size clay model. As teenagers, a try at making a clay model the size of our current 1/25 scale models was a flop, even with clay carving tools. But early flames were easily drawn onto the shape with those new found tools.

Jnaki

When our granddaughter was little, we always played with Playdoh brand stuff. My wife and granddaughter made little pies, cakes and wiggly snakes for toppings, etc. I made a little tiny blob of a car with cute round wheels added. (even an RPU for carrying those tiny round toppings for the the large castle, party cakes.) Those days took me back to remembering the car designers and their clay models. Also, remembering our flops as pre-teens and teenagers still bounces around that "old noggin."

Kudos to those designers for instilling something deep in our collective brains. This was a nice find on the movie about those cool designers and models, too.

Stogy, drdave, Ron Funkhouser and 2 others like this.