Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Speed TV / Velocity.....and what’s next.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Dec 4, 2018.

1. What happened to Speed Vision TV? Then it was Velocity, now what?
    I was watching the new Motor Trend TV tonight. No cruise night tonight. No ambition to even look at my rides.After all we are moving into the winter time entertainment mode indoor stuff.
    If you not out in the garage is this network filling you void?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Sporty45 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

You're a couple generations behind. Speedvision is ancient history. ;) It's been Velocity for years, they just changed to Motor Trend TV in the last couple weeks.

3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

When speed first came out I liked it. Then they started to accelerate towards NASCAR roundly round, super boring, and other junk. Velocity was kind of ok but the BS drama eroded that too. When will there be a truly education/how to channel or at least a program.

4. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

Yep what Stuart said

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I watch reruns of Andy Griffith and MASH. :)

enloe, rc57, Nailhead Jason and 24 others like this.
  6. Sorry my bad. It is definitely or was Velocity. I still live in a casette world. I just moved on from the 8 track world and that took a long while.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

enloe, slug, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  7. I really enjoyed the Velocity lineup but am a bit undecided about Motor Trend TV.
    Enjoyed tonight watching the Kendig Team and really dig some of the other programs I caught on the weekend.
    There a few I seriously dislike but I won’t mention names here.

The37Kid and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

I watch Andy Griffith every night too !!!

enloe, Paul B, Finn Jensen and 4 others like this.
  9. Love Andy’s show. Good wholesome 50’s 60’s stuff.

10. Marken

Marken

Most of the shows were free on YouTube, then you had to pay to watch on Motor Trend and now it's still the Velocity shows with a new sponsor which still charges for the extra shows.
    I'd rather buy a couple of six packs and sit in one of your garages/shops to watch you guys work.

11. upspirate

upspirate

I like you tube

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Best to watch Andy Griffith with a jar of mash - Ha! (think Otis)

13. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I read books or old car magazines.
    Currently going through the entire 1963 issues of Motor Trend.
    Read cover to cover including the ads.
    Television is rarely on.

williebill and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. John B

John B

I watch a lot of old car show event videos from the 80s, 90s and 2000s.

Sent from my LGL158VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

OG lil E likes this.
  15. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

Actually the old Speed channel was sold to Fox, and was phased out as Fox Sports 1 was launched. One of the original 4 founders of Speed is Robert Scanlon, who joined Discovery and launched Velocity. The rebranding as Motor Trend TV seems simply a business deal. It’s apparently difficult to create programming that would make Hambers happy without turning off the more casual viewer- so we get fluff.

Hombre and John B like this.
  16. 383stroker

383stroker
    from Roscoe, SD

17. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Here's what I don't get; every sport wants the "casual viewer", the person that doesn't understand what is going on, won't take the time to learn, quickly loses interest, turns the channel and won't watch again. And the sports are alienating their core fans to chase what exactly? OK, off my soapbox!

18. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I was pretty into MAV TV when I was still watching cable instead of primarily streaming. Full Custom Garage with Ian Roussel and Stacey David's Gearz were my favorite. They also had dirt track races and tractor pulls on there that I'd leave on while I finished my coffee. It is probably the closest thing to the pure motorsports channel we all want.

https://www.mavtv.com/shows/
    http://www.fullcustomgarage.com/
    https://staceydavid.com/

Also, for you guys who have Amazon Prime, the included streaming service includes some seasons of Mad Fabricator's Society and shows like that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07FWVVR17/ref=atv_dp

Max Gearhead likes this.
  19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

After discovering how friggin awesome Roku is, and after I realized I had an extra TVs laying around, I recently built this enclosure and mounted the TV in the shop. Now I can watch my beloved NY Rangers lose while I'm working on whatever project. The Roku is legit. I used the YouTube app to watch a tutorial on axle replacement on my 535i while I was doing the job, as well as one on oil burners while I was fixing the heat in the shop. My father in law was so impressed he decided to do the same in his garage so he can watch NASCAR. I thought the TV in the shop would stifle productivity, but for me it's had the opposite effect. Now instead of having to choose between working in the shop and watching a hockey game, I can just do both.

[​IMG]

20. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

I too have been migrating slowly to the streaming content, as the cable shows have been lacking in my view. Shout out to HAMBer @IronTrap who has a great YouTube channel called "IronTrap Garage". I'm a subscriber and avid fan. Thanks for the great content, Matt.

21. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

For decades there was no such thing as automotive content on TV, so I'm thankful for what there is now..... at least it's SOMETHING. I don't take any of it all that seriously, so with as little TV as I watch I consider the current offerings like anything else..... mindless entertainment.

22. rooman

rooman

I dumped my dish a few years back and get as much as I want to watch via Roku/Prime/PBS. I recently added an antenna so my wife gets a good signal to watch the Indy Colts football games. I remember when cable first started and you paid for the content which came without ads. MTV actually had music and ESPN had a range of interesting sports. Now it is all ads and BS programming for a whole bunch of $$$.

Roo

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    pitman, HunterYJ, Rolleiflex and 4 others like this.
  23. Deuces

Deuces

I like "curse of Oak Island" on History.... :confused:
    One of my favorite shows.... Wish they would make up their minds and decide weather it's a documentary or a reality show.. :rolleyes:
    Yes I do watch velocity or whatever they call it now.... Chasing classic cars is pretty cool... :cool: So is Garage squad and Wheeler Dealers....

moparjimd60, mad mikey and saltflats like this.
  24. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

If you enjoy quirky humor check out "Coldwarmotors" on you tube. The main character is a pretty good mechanic/bodyman/humorist/dog lover.

upspirate likes this.
  25. joshmodelskidoo

joshmodelskidoo

We have LazerTV which is an android based system and i get over 800 channels for $10 a month and stuff like Netflix. Also have a roku and pay like $5 a month for motor trend on demand and that’s got tons of shows. Not just regular motor trend shows.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Don't watch too much television, I get my car fix on the hamb or I read, I read a lot more sinceI had cataract surgery. HRP

27. IronTrap

IronTrap

Thanks Man! Yea I started documenting all of the stuff I've been doing and showing what I'd like to see on a show. Lots of actual build process and what goes into building a car and some of the fun of swap meets, car shows, and digging parts and cars out of the "wild". It's a lot of work to document and build, but the positive response has really made me want to do it more! Just gotta find more time in the day to get more filmed and edited and we'd almost be able to put out a video a day! Thanks for the shout out!

Channel link is in my signature for anyone interested in checking it out. Thanks!

My "TV Set" Aka Shop:
    carcraft_pano.jpg

xsquiden, LSGUN, enloe and 8 others like this.
  28. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

Not interested in racing at all, especially NASCAR or Formula Racing. I like turning wrenches and resurrecting dead cars when I can. Getting older and crawling under cars is becoming more of a problem but figure new ways and have younger friends from my car club that share labor. Have more tools than physical ability now so my car friends come over and work on their cars, I help them and they help me. Get my hands into some old rides that I would never been able to before. As to the current cable car channels, I rarely watch them. Need more shows on old school hot rodding that some seem to think have gone the way of the dodo. Not interested in 60s - 70s muscle car shows and cute rebuild shows with smiling good looking men an women that do charity builds on cars that I an most of the car people I know couldn't care less about. More shows about flathead engines and hopping them up with people that really know their stuff. Having old school guys on that although might be a little long in the tooth can actually teach you something about old engines, old transmission and metal bumping. Tired of every cool old car that is cut up, bagged and lowered with huge wheels, paint jobs that don't really fit the character of the car that is be worked on. There are a lot of young guys that are coming up to appreciate stature of the older ride, the feeling of driving something that is not some cookie cutter wanna be. I am proud to belong to a club of younger successful guys that appreciate a cool old car that is not all sparkled up with an expensive paint job and billet. I am one of the grey beards that belong to this fraternity of the patinaed paint cars and am excepted even for my age. Been feeling like this for a long time, sorry for the rant but I think it is time for a new popular.

29. fuzzface

fuzzface

I had the Velocity channel on the other night for background noise and got interested when what I thought was a new show that was already mentioned above, Full custom garage. I ended up watching it and really liked it. Still thinking it was new and researched it on the internet and realized it has been out a few years already on a different channel that I don't have. Never knew that but guess what? Can't wait to see it again after looking at some of the short clips I found of other episodes.

catdad49 and moparjimd60 like this.
  30. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

Hey Fuzzface, glad you found a show that peaks your interest for now. For that group of old school car lovers that like to do it themselves I am still pushing for shows that teach. I get more from You Tube than the cable channels, hopefully that changes.

richards69impala likes this.