Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. rooman

rooman

Riverside, 1964. Steve Bovan in the Bovan and (Phil) Castro Corvette.

Roo

Bowtie Coupe and enloe like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yes, very cool video, had never seen the underpinnings of the SS.
    Funny thing though, so much effort to save weight and then they use the Corvette grill.
    May have been another one-off piece made of aluminum or magnesium, highly polished of course.
    Also odd that the engine only had 9/1 compression ratio.

1934coupe, mkebaird and loudbang like this.
  3. Some cool old cars that would make the restoration guys loose their shit...

Attached Files:

4. jimdillon

jimdillon

Some of the above pics appear to be colorized although for the life of me I cannot figure out why (other than someone playing with their color wheel on the computer). The original pictures appear to be quite nice IMO. That being said I have several pictures with a difference in shade so I am not sure of the exact shade of Wildabeast although the colorized version is questionable as to the proper shade, I would guess.

Wildabeast at Indy in 63 with Skip Hess (with a couple of other early Vettes behind him) Vettte-Hess Indy 63.jpg

I also like the original picture of the Midwest Vette when Bob Schaeffer was driving the car for Ron Reader-as I have said before this was probably my favorite old Vette to see in action-one bad ass hot rod.
    Midwest-5.jpg
    Then the photo above with the pale yellow 61 I believe may be this car. Since this was not a factory color (and I believe I may have that above picture that was part of a group with this car)-whatever it is a good looking 61 for sure and glad to see they used the car in the appropriate manner.
    Vette-61-ylw.jpg

5. loudbang

loudbang

6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Jim,
    The Midwest car is also one of my all time favorites. My dad worked for a short time in a machine shop in Berkley. The Midwest guys would do some launch testing in the alley between the buildings. Dad would take me there to look at the cars and occasionally see them run.
    When I was a little older I would hang out there once in awhile. What I don't recall is if Ron Reader ever drove himself. His Dad kinda liked me. I think because I was the kid with no money but loved this stuff.

enloe, porkshop and loudbang like this.
  7. jimdillon

jimdillon

Bruce, Ron told me he drove the car when he raced on Woodward in the early 60s but got so many tickets he switched it to a dedicated track car. My notes seem to indicate he drove it early on (I believe sometime in 1963/1964 with Pontiac power-both 389 and 421s built by George DeLorean) but Danny Elkins was often the go to guy with Pontiac power. Danny tragically died in the Midwest sponsored Chevy Also match racer (Chevy II with big block power) in 1967 at Ubly Dragway.

When Ron switched to the 427 in 1965 he had two different main drivers in Dave Kanners and Bob Schaeffer. We have discussed Dave in the past as he was a character. Bob was a good engine builder but also did an very admirable job driving the car. Butch Elkins may have taken a spin or two prior to 65 (as Butch had split the driving duties on the blue 62 Vette-Butch had helped Ron in building the blue small block powered 62 Vette).

The thing I suppose that really held my interest in the car is the way it launched (and won) always with a 4 speed. When Ron sold the car after the 67 season (when they did away with the MSP class) to Davenport is when the car ended up with a torqueflite and then a clutchflite-still a flat out cool car to watch.

If you look on the top of the car you can see Dan Elkins name when it was Pontiac power.
    Midwest-3-1peg.jpeg

The car in 66 with Dave Kanners name on the hardtop.
    MWV DK 66.jpg

The blue 62 Vette I referenced driven mainly I believe by both Butch Elkins and Al Maynard. Midwest -62-6.jpg

8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Jim,

That puts it all in perspective for me. I got my driver's license in '64 and graduated in '66. Cruised Woodward nightly. I don't think many people understand the car scene in Detroit in the 60's. For instance, the factory back door deals. So many people had connections to car companies and the people inside. The hot rod shops would do jobs for the factories and the factories would supply some unobtainium pieces.
    My Quickchange mentor, Joy Fair, had inside help from Chrysler early on, Ford, and later Pontiac Motors. I believe George DeLorean probably had an inside track with Pontiac. You think?

Back to the Vettes ;)

9. jimdillon

jimdillon

Bruce I ran into George DeLorean a couple of weeks ago at a get together. Still looks pretty good. A guy in my car club raced with Joy Fair. If I mention his name he will go on at length with stories for sure.

I am sure there were a lot of great cruise spots but Woodward was a great deal of fun. I still enjoy going down there in the summer months trying to relive old times.

A few years ago the guy next to my avatar car at Autorama told me stories of him racing Roger Lindamood's Color Me Gone down there, with his 62 Vette called Up Tight Outa Sight. He brought in a bunch of old pics. A bunch of great stories on Woodward back in those days.

Deuces, Bowtie Coupe, enloe and 3 others like this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

11. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

12. Friday addition

Attached Files:

13. jimdillon

jimdillon

On the Friday additions above the second one appears to be Reids Automotive when he was running MP in the 70s. The first 58-60 A/MSP car is really a nice car and I have the car in a file but it throws me a bit. It appears as if he is running spindle mags (with some nice tires) and would be in the 65-67 time frame. Great stance and most likely a dedicated strip car. Cannot remember the car in other shots with spindle mags-would love to own it though.

loudbang, 1934coupe and enloe like this.
  14. jimdillon

jimdillon

The 61 drag car project that Dan posted would be a good candidate if the price was right. Sometimes cars "modified" to this point at auction may be a decent buy. The restorers may figure it is too much work and some of the drag car guys don't want to pay silly money.

15. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Abilene, Texas. 2007

Z IMG_0108.JPG

16. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

SCCA race at Green Valley Raceway. April 1964. Delmo Johnson Corvette GrandSport

CORVETTE GRAND SPORT DELMO JOHNSON April 64.jpg

CORVETTE GRAND SPORT DELMO JOHNSON April 1964.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  17. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

18. jimdillon

jimdillon

I am a pretty big fan of the Grand Sport, but Delmo Johnson who was a real character, had mixed emotions about them (at least as per an article I have about him). In 64 he drove Mecum's Grand Sport and he bought one himself from GM that he raced, but in the article he said they have been better suited to be a drag car. He did quite well with track racing the Grand Sports in the manner they were intended but also ended up drag racing his Grand Sport (maybe moreso as a lark) at the drag strip at Green Valley as well. A really good racer and competitor and has good history with Corvettes as he owned a Chevrolet dealership he took over from his dad's long time ownership.

19. loudbang

loudbang

1963 Z06 # 48 GM Photo

1963-Corvette-Z06-GM-Photograph-W63HV_CH011_a.jpg

20. robber

robber

21. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Taken from the "Hot seat" at Meremere drag strip in NZ

C2 Corvette.jpg

22. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Hey thanks for that, ^^^ Delmo Johnson is unheard of down our way.[I was passed on a collection of photos with his cars in it]
    After your post, I did a bit of a search and found his Obituary . He was obviously "larger than life"
    https://vintageracecar.com/delmo-johnson-1916-2015/

here's a few more from the same collection.

In the Open Class Delmo Johnson was competing against Harry Washburn in a F1 Cooper
    Here's a sequence of 3
    1.jpg

.2.jpg

.3.jpg

23. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

The 1959 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray racer

The 1959 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray racer.jpg

24. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Kerry that was in 1959? You can't get or feel the impact or importance of that car as we sit here today, you had to be there. It is one beautiful car.

Pat

Kerrynzl, enloe, Bowtie Coupe and 2 others like this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

26. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Are chrome bumper C3's off topic or allowed on this thread?
    If not ... PM me and I'll delete this.

Tony Delorenzo in his C3 # 7 [A/Production 427]
    Tony Delorenzo in his C3 # 7...jpg

This one is of myself [many years ago]
    C3 at Taupo.PNG

27. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Bob Bierneth in his Corvette C2 [B/Production 327]
    Bob Bierneth Corvette C2.PNG

28. loudbang

loudbang

29. Mid week coming up bump