Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Summit Vs Jegs vs. RockAuto vs.?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donuts & Peelouts, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2 current stories;

ORDER 1: I use Summit for about everything. 2 weeks ago I ordered a pair of QA-1 shocks for the back of my 69 RS/SS. The shopping cart confirms if the item is in stock, coming from another supplier or on back order before proceeding. Free shipping. Turns out I didn't need them when I found out I had a broken shock mount and it only required some welding. I called Summit, they emailed me my return UPS label, I left it for the driver, they emailed me a few days later saying they received the package and credited my account the entire purchase price.

ORDER 2: I needed inside door handles for my 34, MAC's had those reproduction 33 roadster handles on their site so I ordered them along with another small item Nothing at check out told me that they didn't exist and wouldn't be in stock for months. Paid for shipping. I received the shipping confirmation email and the handles are on back order, other part shipped before I could cancel. I called, was transferred to Ecklers who didn't give a shit about me or my order, I cancelled the remaining back order and found the handles elsewhere.

Which one of the two companies mentioned above do you think I will continue to patronize and refer my friends? o_O

2. LAROKE

LAROKE

Sometimes, it's the unsung heroes in the shipping department.

When Deerslayer's Durant monoleaf springs broke, I decided to replace them with Eaton's rod ride springs, this time with a 3" drop built in. I ordered just the front springs at the Eaton site. I soon received an e-mail from Kim Mitchell at Eaton advising me that the installation kit was available for the springs too. I e-mailed her to add the installation kit. The day after everything shipped, I reread the e-mail and saw that Kim had referenced a rear spring installation kit, not a front spring installation kit. When the shipment arrived, there was a rear spring installation kit parts list but but someone in the shipping department had seen the error and corrected it. I got the correct front spring installment kit to go with the front springs. The springs are installed now, the ride is great, and I am still a satisfied customer of Eaton Springs.

3. doug3968

doug3968

Have had bad experiences with Rockauto shipping. If there is a problem there is NO ONE live to communicate with. Rock shipping can be way out of proportion to part being purchased. Would still buy from Rock if I needed a part. Summit shipping is consistent. Living within 100 miles of Summit gets you parts in less than 12 hrs. -But why is it necessary to only have one source?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

I have bought from all the sources named here, Rockauto seems to be best for prices but they have NO live customer service anymore. Sucks when you have a problem. When I first bought from them they had customer service via
    phone, no longer. I will no longer use them.

5. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Summit for me.
    Beat any price.
    The times I have had issues they have sent replacements around the world to me free of charge telling me to keep the first parts. (one was $700US but the drop shipper sent wrong item)

besides I love there search feature its like a quick reference starting point on what should fit.

6. sololobo

sololobo

I am loyal to Speedway as they are a local company. I was so fortunate to have known Bill and Joyce Smith the founders. When we were kids we would drive to Lincoln, Ne. from Grand Island, Ne. just to look around. Bill was so friendly and would remember our names and he was very charismatic. They are great customer service and returns. A lot of friends have and still do work there and they treat their employees right, another reason to support them. Also free shipping on orders $99.00 and up.

das858 and Truck64 like this.
  7. I've only recently has issues with Summit, things like taking 6 weeks to get a speedometer cable out to me (was not in a great rush to have it) and a switcheroo at the UPS facility by UPS personnel. But they are making good on it. Their site is the best, Speedway and Jegs have terrible sites. I have a local place that sells on eBay, SK Speed. Another horrible web site for doing research. The guys at the counter are up on their game.

8. big john d

big john d
    from ma

9. big john d

big john d
    from ma

have dealt mostly with summit since they sent garlits to indy to try for 300 mph they will match price with rock or jegs also will give a veteran discount

10. jnaki

jnaki

Hey DP,

If you already haven’t ordered anything from those companies, you might want to read the Summit Thread that RJPalmer posted a while back. It is a good company, but…sometimes, they do not get the whole picture. It is advertising becoming irritating to no end.

Jnaki

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-a-great-company.1090715/page-2#post-12669474

Note:
    The Summit ad emails have become less, but still pop up. Even after several "no more emails" with "umpteen" updates.

11. I didn't read the whole thread, but has anyone mentioned Amazon? I usually check all the places and pull the trigger on the best price. Since we are prime members we always get free shipping. It's difficult to search amazon for car parts unless you have a specific part number, but I saved like $100 on an AC Delco part for my daily driver the other day on Amazon.

I still use Summit for stuff, especially since they just built a HUGE store about 20 minutes from me.

12. Tried to order some parts from Rock auto the other day.......could not check out without a authorization code from my card Co? Never could get it to work, so bought the parts locally instead.
    Is this something new? Haven't ordered from them in a couple months.....

13. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

That is the 3 digit number on the back of your credit card. Sometimes called a security code. Lately, most on-line ordering asks for this number.

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't say enough good things about Summit. Yesterday at 1:00 pm found the valve seals I had were .500's needed .530's. Ordered on line along with .015" valve shims. The order comes from Reno and I'm in So Cal. They were at my front door at 10:30 am. I know trucks leave there on the hour for California and sometimes I can get an order in the late afternoon but this was fantastic...My EQ350H heads are now together ready to go.

15. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'll just add a recent example of an experience through RockAuto.

The universal joint in the steering shaft of my OT daily driver went bad after ~215K miles. I went to the local Advanced, could have it for me next day, for $96 + tax. On RockAuto, literally the same, exact Dorman part (not a cheaper equivalent) was $70, with shipping, and I even paid an extra $1 for 2 day shipping. That's a HUGE savings, especially when you consider it as a percentage, and accounting for the shipping. RockAuto has been instrumental in keeping my high-milage daily driver (and my wife and Mom's) on the road because it makes fixing it economically justifiable. If every little repair cost me $300+, it would be more responsible to just go buy a different, lower milage car. But if I can get away with repairs of $150 or less, then it makes more sense to patch up the car I already own.

I honestly can't say enough nice things about RockAuto. This hobby of ours is expensive enough as it is, so any company that can help to ease that burden in any way is an asset. And let's face it, not every part that goes into a car needs to be special or high performance. A lot of times just a good quality OEM part is all you need. Basic stuff like a brake drum and shoes, axle seals, shocks, even starters, water pumps, etc... are substantially cheaper through RockAuto. Those are the parts of the build that really nickel and dime you.

16. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I usually buy through Rockauto, since I am in Canada and they have figured out how to send parts to my door for reasonable shipping, and there is no border hassle.
    Often times when researching a part, Summit comes up, even for ordinary replacement parts for modern cars. Is Summit getting fully into the regular parts business, as opposed to high performance and specialty stuff?

Regarding the "authorization code" with a credit card, I have had this problem when ordering from some other source. It wasn't the three digit security code, but some complex password and code that the credit card company or seller decided was necessary. Just another pain in the neck, but I guess there's always crooks out there trying to defraud us when we order with a credit card.

17. No, this was different....it gave me the option to be notified by my card co/bank by phone, text or email.
    Then enter that code to complete sale.
    I'm not great with computer stuff, so maybe I clicked wrong?

18. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I stand corrected. Looks like they are verifying that the credit card charge is coming from the person at the email address or phone number of record. Learn something new almost every day...

19. XXL__

XXL__

Here's my first-ever problem with Summit. I purchased a rack from them in 2009. It was advertised with a lifetime warranty-- that is why I paid $80 more than the one they offered that didn't come with the lifetime warranty. This week I contacted them about how to go about replacing this lifetime warranty unit that is leaking, and has a clunking sound inside of it like a gear is chipped or broken. First, they claimed it only had a 1 year warranty. Then, when I provided them documentation on the lifetime warranty, they stated that "wear" is not covered by the warranty... so... use = wear = warranty voided??? And they've determined it is a "wear" problem by email??? Instead of taking care of the product issue, they've decided to reneg on the advertised warranty and damage a long time customer relationship. Seems like a bad call over a $200 part.

2018-12-04 09.59.20.png

20. they threw a lifetime warrantee at it, they didn't say it would stick.:rolleyes:
    that sucks!

nunattax and XXL__ like this.
  21. Dirk35

Dirk35

I buy from whichever fits my needs and I only ever had good experiences from all; Speedway, Jegs, Summit, Mac's, Sacramento Vintage Ford, Sasche Rod Shop.

I've never tried to buy from Rock Auto, but have never heard anything bad. No real reason, just never tried.

Like said above, I shop around for the best price with shipping, so really I have no preferences as long as I can access what I need.

22. Don't go to Jegs for reasons stated above. Summit is my go-to store. I am blown away by their shipping time. Order a part Monday after noon, it is on your doorstep Tuesday morning. I almost think you could get a replacement part at the drags between rounds!! I am pretty slow and the couple times I have gone to Rock Auto their site was just too confusing to be sure I would be ordering the part I needed.
    I go to Speedway for all the oddball parts that other vendors don't seem to carry. Chrome plated MII coil springs, chrome plated tie rod ends, both good quality and really inexpensive, that kind of stuff.

23. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

ecklers don't honour there lifetime guarantees either.wont order from them again lots spent with them over the years (corvette)

24. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

ECKLERS SUCK

Bandit Billy likes this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whole heartedly agree! Back when I used to order from eklers for all my plastic fantastic needs. Not so much today. times, they are a changin.

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I don't remember whether it was Jegs or Summit because this was in the mid 90's but only ever had one problem, it got resolved but I had to convince them.
    Bought a Hurst Quarter Stick shifter for the Turbo 350 in my 66 Suburban, as with most projects it was over a year after purchase that I even opened the box.
    I put the shifter on the bench and was holding it and moving the handle through its range and a stop broke off the main body. Called them immediately and got the typical "no returns after one year" response.
    I had to convince the customer service guy that it would be easier for me to fly back there and shove it up his ass than to throw it in the garbage, he saw the position from both sides and decided to send me a return slip and replace it when they recieved it.

XXL__ and mad mikey like this.
  27. ClOckwOrk444

ClOckwOrk444

I have never had an issue ordering a part from any of the stated suppliers, but i have had issues with shipping, lol. Luckily fedex always accidentally ships it to a guy 4 miles down the road from me, but he's a car guy so he stops and drops it off for me on his way to work. Maybe i should get him on the fedex payroll, our local guy can't seem to figure out my address.

28. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

"I had to convince the customer service guy that it would be easier for me to fly back there and shove it up his ass than to throw it in the garbage".
    That is the best response I have ever heard .:D:D:D:D

Bandit Billy likes this.
  29. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'll admit to not reading every post in this thread, but has anyone suggested finding a local shop? Having been in the race parts business (circle track mostly) I felt that I offered my customers a benefit to online ordering. They could see and handle the parts they wanted to make sure it was what they wanted. A local shop can also offer guidance on parts selection that the online guys just aren't equipped to do as well. In my case, I tried my best to meet or beat the prices that were offered by the "big guys" and my customers drove up to 1.5 or 2 hours to buy from me.

So, maybe find a local shop to fill your needs. Just a suggestion.

Lynn

30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lake_..... I'd love to and always did at one time...They have all left So Cal with the exception of a few fitting suppliers. I can buy all the pistons and rods I want rings too but most tell me to go to the the big boxes for off the shelf items.