Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Eaton supercharged cadillac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56cadillackid, Dec 3, 2018.

1. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

I was reading an article online about superchargers that can be found easily in junkyards and I figured it would be neat to mount an eaton m90 to my engine so I started planning. So far I think I will need to make 2 parts, a plate connecting the supercharger to the manifold and an adapter to fit the carburetor to the supercharger. My school computer integrated manufacturing teacher is helping me and there are several cnc machines we can use to create the parts. Given that the compression ratio is alread kind of high I will probably need some kind of methanol injection setup.
    I know the supercharger I'm trying to use is much newer than stuff on this site usualy is but i feel that it is the traditional spirit of hotrodding to pull parts out of junkyards and make them work especially since I cannot afford a more traditional 6-71 setup.
    I will probably not keep it on my car very long and I think this is more of an experiment into what I am capable of and hopefully this setup is easily adaptable on different engines so I will be able to transfer it to somthing better suited at some point
    I included a picture of my initial plans though they are rough designs and I will try and upload 3d renderings later.
    If anyone has any thoughts or experience with this sort of project I'd love to hear it. 20181203_163807.jpeg 20181203_163805.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Why not? If the pulley lines up with the crank pulley, that will work. I recommend you add a wideband O2 setup with gauge to monitor air/fuel ratio.

Ned Ludd, loudbang and warhorseracing like this.
  3. dan griffin

dan griffin

The trans may not be to happy about this deal.

Truck64, loudbang and gimpyshotrods like this.
  4. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve got one of those on an OT car. Shortened case, 96 cid. I’m assuming the basic design is the same. Just a couple thoughts.

They ran dry, the fuel was port injection so it was just air going thru them.

They didn’t see vacumn as the throttle body was downstream. Don’t know how the seals react to that. Might suck the lube out?

They had a bypass contraption to recycle the boosted air under part throttle. That probably has to go if you’re mounting the carb on the intake.

Nice units, when you figure it out let us know.

5. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

I am a little worried about that but the trans is due for a rebuild anyway, hopefully if I go easy on the throttle it will hold up

6. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

A little off topic , but your drawings are very impressive. I have my Dads sketches from engineering school in England in 1947 -48 , Drawing is truly a lost art in the days of auto cad. Its nice to see a young person who can draw what he see's in his head.

7. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope the boss and the moderators let this stand. Young guy's do need some some help on a availability of parts.

But when you start the project, pull the trans and get it done for when you finish the blower. Positive displacement blowers make full boost right off idle. Use a blow off to limit boost to your compression ratio.

I’ve got some experience with on topic centrifugals, a lot of OT turbos, and some positive displacements. Some young guy comes up along side me and eggs me on, and I still need to show him the difference. And I’m 68. You won’t go easy on the trans when you get it working.

VANDENPLAS, loudbang and Frankie47 like this.
  8. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

I've been running an M90 with a Q-jet from a 79 supercharged Buick V6 mounted on top for a few years now (on a flathead). Has a bypass contraption. It all works fine. runs with high vacuum until you put your foot in it.

loudbang and Texas Webb like this.
  9. Like to see that^^^.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The Eaton is somewhere on the line along which a Roots blower morphs into a screw blower, and really in no way outside the realm of believable comparability with any of the aftermarket blowers available during the HAMB era. I'd suggest looking at what kinds of subtle visual tweaks could make an Eaton look right at home on that Caddy.

Hnstray likes this.
  11. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

I plan on stripping the paint off it and polishing the whole blower, I've seen pictures of this and I think it will give it a much more traditional look though I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the machined pieces I have to make. polishedm904.jpeg

12. khead47

khead47

Interesting application ! 100_0091.JPG

Texas Webb and loudbang like this.
  13. How about an upside down mounting on an inline six!

Attached Files:

Texas Webb and loudbang like this.
  14. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Looks like they flipped it upside down... Neat idea to make it fit!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  15. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

loudbang likes this.
  16. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

I think I've got all my designs roughed out now I just need a supercharger so if anyone has an eaton m90 they'd like to sell or knows of one it would be much appreciated

loudbang likes this.
  17. khead47

khead47

Yeah. a 121 mph toilet !

loudbang likes this.
  18. BillSchmid

BillSchmid
    from Ohio

The last time I was at the local u pull junkyard there were probably six on various Buick and Pontiac models.

19. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

I've heard they are pretty common in yards, unfortunately where I am in new York is pretty far from any u pull yards