Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Welding helmet fogging up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bubba55, Dec 3, 2018.

1. bubba55

bubba55

Been learning to weld - and at times my glass fogs up - tried wipes and spit - still fogs up - have to place in front of heater to dry out - What say you welding gurus ?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

That will normally only happen when you are in a cooler environment.
    Your warm breath against the cool lens is causing condensation.
    No fix, unless you want to turn a fan to the back of your head.

juan motime likes this.
  3. ^^^^^^ this right here...Mitch.

4. bubba55

bubba55

5. Simple, stop breathing!

6. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Some of the guys I play hockey with use liquid dish soap on their visors to prevent fogging while we play. A few drops, spread it around with your finger. Not sure if they wipe it after or not.

7. Not Rain X but Rain X anti-fog, I can assure you if you use the regular rain-X on the inside of you lens the glass will fog up quicker. HRP

8. Fordors

Fordors

BITD racers would take a bit of liquid dish soap and rub it in the inside of their googles or face shield and once it dried buff it with a soft rag. It will do the same thing as the RainX Anti Fog and you might already have some at home.
    Oops, KevKo put a hole shot on me.

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd run a fan anyway. A slight movement of air away from your welding is a good thing...trust me.

1956DODGESEIRRA and juan motime like this.
  10. indyjps

indyjps

Diving goggles, you spit on them. Not sure if it works on welding helmets but its pretty easy to try.
    Ive tied a bandana around my mouth and nose to direct the breathing down while using grinding shields.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  11. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Try a vented dust mask

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Shoot...I wanted to say that!

50 customcoupe likes this.
  13. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

I use controlled limited nasal breathing... it is much cooler air than hot breath. Inhaling through your nose allows you to clear some of the fogged up lens also. You can also inhale through your nose and blow out with a purse lipped technique... blowing out this way creates cool air being blown out... The Miller manual does not recommend putting any defogging agents on the lens... With my auto darkening lens it has certain electro mechanical properties that may get damaged with certain chemicals. I’m not stating it’s wrong, but I’ve been welding for over 25 years (to include sub-zero temperatures) and careful breathing technique can make a huge difference.

Whisky

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    LWEL9226 and bubba55 like this.
  14. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have tried Rain X Anti Fog while wearing a dust mask ,ear muffs and eye protection . Didn’t have much success with the Rain X Anti Fog in that situation.

15. vickckik

vickckik

A bar of Glycerin Soap is what we used long ago. Moisten a clean towel, wipe it on the soap bar and then rub the clean lens. Give it a minute or so to dry and polish the lens with a clean, dry towel. Takes up little space on the table or cart for all three items. Oh yeah, we did the same to the inside of our windshields and rear windows because of weak heater motors or having heater delete cars.

16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That would be any teenage boy's worst nightmare when I was younger!

17. 1Bad67

1Bad67

Just learn to breath with you upper lip out, so you blow down. Learned that from an old welder.

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every ski shop sells anti fog wipes to keep your goggles clear. One pair of Smith goggles I bought a few years back have a small fan and vent to clear the lens. Should be a way to retrofit something similar to the helmet.
    upload_2018-12-3_12-11-20.png

bubba55 likes this.
  19. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Being an old weldor myself and having worked at it professionally for many years I too have had fogging problems. This is the best solution I've found. Breathe through your mouth and blow it down, away from your lens. Also put the hood down someplace warm when you take it off. Welding in the field you can use the defroster in your pickup, or the heat from the engine on your welding machine, in a shop there should be plenty of options.

20. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

As an ocean diver, we would spit on our masks to prevent fogging of the lenses.

21. Eli Brown

Eli Brown

There is a product that keeps gun scopes from fogging up, works great. Might be something to look for and try.

22. In cold weather I have an oil filled electric radiator that I put on about 30 minutes before I start work. I let the welding helmet sit on it for a while then when I’m ready the helmet is warm and there’s no fogging

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. bubba55

bubba55

Wow thanks to all fer yer input - will try the breathing and mask - welding is new to me but as y'all know it's part of our hobby - and as it's been said know what's under yer paint & bondo in my case I've found it challenging to learn - burnt more holes than patching - but I'm getting better - again thanks to all
    Da HAMB Rocks !

24. If ya wore a welding respirator with the filters behind your back.(allows it to fit inside the helmet and gives cleaner air intake) You would be breathing better air and seeing clearer too. Works for me anyway. :)

25. Divers anti fog gel. Works great. Overton.com

When you work in a parts department everything is on sale

26. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

X-3 :D :D

LW

27. Hell, I have enough trouble remembering to breathe at all while tigging, let alone trying anything fancy!
    Bear:)