Register now to get rid of these ads!

Final Championship Round Sydney 2018

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by spanners, Nov 26, 2018.

1. spanners

spanners

Just when you thought you wouldn't get any more action from downunder, I pop up again. Relax, it'll be the last time this year. I've missed a couple of championship rounds due to breakages. I went to Sydney for the last round to support the bracket, and lets face it, they've missed the real competition:D.
    Due to finally retiring from work I won't be doing the championship rounds next year as money will be tight and I'd rather do the regional tracks and the Nostalgias in Queensland. I'll still occasionally race there but to be honest it's not as enjoyable since IHRA got involved. They don't want grassroots racing there.
    Enough of my bleating! Onto the racing.
    Five of us entered. Me, Ezio, Gerard, Anthony and a new bloke, James. He's a different James that normally pilots the car so it made remembering his name easier. We did the usual qualifying runs with most running their usual numbers, except for me. I ran a 14.019 and joking told the others that I was taking it easy. Pigs arse was I going to.

This run gave me a 13.76 to Gerard's 13.22
    I dialed 13.75 and ran a backing off 13.975 against Anthony's 16.95 on a 16.40 dial.

I had the bye run in the 2nd Shootout and James and Anthony ran each other, James the victor. Ezio was too good for Gerard.

Third shootout I was against young James, who I should point out, hasn't raced before but was getting a handle on it real fast. Once again old fart me showed him how to put a cherry on the tree. GRRRRR. As it turned out he hadn't realized that I'd redlit so he stayed into it as did I. If I hadn't redlit I would've won because he did a 16.227 on a 16.55 dial. Shit happens.

Gerard had another loss to Anthony and Ezio had the bye.
    That left James with 3 wins and Ezio and me with 2 wins. A count back put me and James in the final. James changed his dial to 16.20 and I left mine at 13.75. Keep an eye on the Xmas tree for the final result.

I ran it out for 13.77 on a 13.75 dial. Not bad for pensioner.

Well that be all for this year. (I could've raced at Bodangora the next day but it required a 5 hour drive after racing at Sydney. We didn't finish at the track till 9p.m so the crew chief put her foot down for once and vetoed the plan. Wise lady.) The car ran faultlessly all day and the bonus is being able to drive it onto the trailer at the end. The only hiccup I had was because I've put an oil feed to the cam gear, which comes off the oil sender 'T' junction, the oil light came on at the end of a run. I put a clamp on the flexible line as a restrictor and fixed it.
    Hooroo to you all, and I hope everyone keeps chugging along.:)

Crosley and Black Knight Racing like this.
  2. bobw

bobw

What a pleasure to read your narrative and follow along on your racing exploits. To have fellow competitors in the same class is something I'll not experience.
    Enjoy your retirement. You'll wonder how you found the time to work a job.

3. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Kool stufff..... thanks for the posts , the videos, thanks taking me along for the ride. I dont get much drag racing in since the Govbermint closed down Speed World drag strip out near Wittman AZ.. a few years ago

4. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Great vids & chatter, once again. Always good to see your posts.

5. spanners

spanners

Thanks for the compliments. I sometimes feel like they're a bit long winded but once I start typing, the dribble starts flowing. Maybe I'm a closet writer. Nah, just kidding.
    My wife, who is a retired High School English teacher, sometimes reads over my shoulder and comments "you can't write that". She knows that is how I talk so that is how I report.

Crosley likes this.
  6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Always fun going along for the ride. You do a good job of reporting in a way us garage monkeys can understand.

7. spanners

spanners

Thank you Tom. I don't put on any airs or graces and I hope anyone I'm dealing with is the same. I'm one of the few customers at the local engine builder that can take parts home and pay later because he says I'm an honest bloke. I'm a shit stirrer but honest.

Crosley likes this.
  8. spanners

spanners

The Crew Chief and I wish everybody a relaxing and peaceful Xmas and New Year. We'll be back to pester you computer tragics next year so keep it safe. Peter and Rhonda (Spanners Racing)

Crosley likes this.
  9. robsimmons

robsimmons

Happy Holidays to you as well! Hopefully there will be some wrenches turned behind the scenes... :)

10. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

HAPPY HOLIDAYS Too all you guys