Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake line size?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dtwbcs, Nov 30, 2018.

1. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

1958 GMC 1/2t truck

Converting to disc up front. Bought a 6 lug disc brake kit

Are the brake lines all the same size? 3/16?
    What are the residual valve sizes needed? red 10 and blue 2

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

• 3/16" tubing;
    • 10lb red - Drum; and
    • 2lb blue - Disc.
    Make sure that you get the correct master cylinder (Disc / drum) with adequate bore (1 1/8"). Personally I'd also use a booster due to pedal pressure.

3. squirrel

squirrel

I'd use a smaller bore M/C because it's a bitch to fit a good sized booster under there.

4. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

So i can use 3/16 for the whole truck plus two tees

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

brake line set up.jpg
    Check your MC piston, some are recessed for brake pedal rod and some aren't.
    Master cylinder.jpg

Attached Files:

dtwbcs likes this.
  6. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Thanks guys

7. oj

oj

I find 1/4" is better for disc, they say 3/16ths but having done a bunch I find the disc brake just work better whenever I ran the bigger line. The 'up' side is that you only need 1 size fittings, tubing etc to do the whole car.

dtwbcs likes this.
  8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

^^^^ a lot of the older cars used to run 1/4" on the front disc and 3/16" to the rear drums.

dtwbcs likes this.
  9. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Yes but would you have to adapt the residual valves to the 1/4 line and what about at each wheel?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  10. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Anybody know ?

11. Most residual valves are 1/8" NPT; so you have to use an adapter either way.

Usually switch to 3/16" lines at the tee on the rear axle.

12. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

1/4" brake line better for disc conversion??

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No.

I work for an OEM, that is 100% disc, on every vehicle sold in the US.

All lines are 3/16", in every single application.

If 1/4" provided better braking, our legal department would require it.

We have not used 1/4” since the 60's, before domestic discs were a common thing.

dtwbcs likes this.
  14. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3/16 all around on every build for the last 40 years using cupronickel tube and double flare , simple as that . Just use reducing tube nuts when needed. 3/16 is nice and tidy easy to form ....
    1/4” is for 18 wheelers .

gimpyshotrods and dtwbcs like this.
  15. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Thank you for explaining.

16. oj

oj

Disagree Gimps, next time you do one then use 1/4" and then you'll know that it is better and here is why: contrary to popular belief disc brakes require MORE fluid to operate than drum. The surface area of a disc brake piston is much greater than the area of a wheel cylinder piston and therefore requires more fluid to operate - that is a physical fact, indisputable. It costs less to run 3/16ths and the car stops within requirements so there is no reason to run larger lines on professionally engineered systems. But I can tell you as a fact that every race car and street car I have plumbed with 1/4" lines the brakes have worked better, I have spent much less time sorting problems out, they assemble better, they bleed better, less troubleshooting and second guessing yourself.

dtwbcs likes this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

The area of a disc brake piston is larger, but the travel to make the brakes apply is less. Both types of brakes use a similar volume of fluid. Somehow, all those modern cars built in the past 40-50 years with factory disc brakes seem to work fine with 3/16" tubing.

Using 1/4" doesn't hurt anything, and was used on several drum brake applications in the old days.

18. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Maybe this is the solution?

19. oj

oj

Disagree, the disc uses greater fluid, why do you think the bowl area is larger for the disc than the drum? Because it takes more fluid to operate the system. Look at master cylinders, dual circuit MC's had the same size bowls for drum-drum, when the disc became standard on front the MC front bowl volume had to be increased, they just didn't feel like making it bigger and making new covers because they were bored.
    I realize I am saying some heretical shit here that goes against all popular wisdom but what I am saying comes from book learnin, the Harper-Collins classroom manuals for the certifications.

20. squirrel

squirrel

No. The reservoir of a disc system is larger for a very specific reason. The pistons in a drum system always return to the same place, but in a disc system, as the pads wear, the pistons return less. In normal use, fluid from the reservoir moves to the pistons, as the pads wear. If you use a small drum type reservoir with disc brakes, it would run out of fluid before the pads are worn out.

I just have a mechanical engineering degree, my ASE certifications expired long ago...

21. With a larger tube you are moving more fluid, not creating more pressure.

Disc brakes do not require more fluid to opperate, but they do require a larger reservoir to hold more fluid, because as the pads wear the caliper fills with fluid. Like Squirrel said if you used a small reservoir you would run out of fluid before your next brake job. Drum brake wheel cylinders always return to the same position.
    That’s why rum brakes require service and adjustment, and discs can be installed and forgotten about untill the next part replacement ( in an ideal situation)

Not disputing a larger line makes bleeding a system easier as you are moving more fluid, but as a requirement I would disagree.

Most new brake parts are set up for 3/16ths “ line and fittings
    It’s easier to bend and set up also.

And as long as we are throwing credentials around 20 year red seal automotive mechanic had 6 of my ase certificates and 6 years in heavy equipment and material handling with a lot of time spent repairing and building hydraulic systems
    o_O.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    gimpyshotrods likes this.
  22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Listen to Squirrel and VANDENPLAS.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I think a test mule is in order? That said I won't dispute reservoir volume or caliber volume. But what about the restriction of fluid travel? This would only factor in depending at what rate a caliber can keep up with a wheel cly.?

24. squirrel

squirrel

The flow rate is really the only thing that will be affected by tube size. And 3/16" seems to work for antilock brakes, which work a lot faster than any human driver, eh?

25. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

So at each wheel where the flex line; the standard size is 3/16; same for the rear drums? so i will be good to buy all 3/16 parts.As i haven't removed the original brake lines.

VANDENPLAS and Johnny Gee like this.
  26. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

In closing this thread I'm using 3/16 brake parts.

THANKS !!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. 9A1162E2-56E3-47C0-8C20-5D77D68F7E5D.gif

Glad we could be of assistance!

dtwbcs likes this.
  28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ I draw a line to as far I'll go. That's way over it.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  29. The only thing I have to add is be careful which brand of residual valves you use, some have a tendency to leak. I've been using the SSBC ones with good luck (Wilwood not so much). Let us know how it goes, I'm thinking about going the manual disc route only if it improves braking. The manual disc that was on the '54 Ford panel when I bought it was OK, but the stock drums required less effort to stop.

classiccarjack and dtwbcs like this.
  30. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX